Goldwaters endorse Obama

Popeye

Who would have thunk it..Goldwaters for Obama.

At least two grandchildren of the late Republican and Arizona political icon Barry Goldwater are voting for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama over the GOP's Sen. John McCain.

CC Goldwater, executive producer of the well-received 2006 HBO documentary Mr. Conservative: Goldwater on Goldwater, wrote on the liberal Huffington Post Web site that McCain's opposition to abortion rights, which Goldwater backed, was a deciding factor. CC Goldwater said her pro-Obama sentiment is shared by "my siblings and a few cousins."

From her essay:

My grandfather had undying respect for the U.S. Constitution, and an understanding of its true meanings.

There always have been a glimmer of hope that someday, someone would "race through the gate" full steam in Goldwater style. Unfortunately, this hasn't happened, and the Republican brand has been tarnished in a shameless effort to gain votes and appeal to the lowest emotion, fear. Nothing about McCain, except for maybe a uniform, compares to the same ideology of what Goldwater stood for as a politician. The McCain/Palin plan is to appear diverse and inclusive, using women and minorities to push an agenda that makes us all financially vulnerable, fearful, and less safe.

When you see the candidate's in political ads, you can't help but be reminded of the 1964 presidential campaign of Johnson/Goldwater, the 'origin of spin', that twists the truth and obscures what really matters. Nothing about the Republican ticket offers the hope America needs to regain it's standing in the world, that's why we're going to support Barack Obama. I think that Obama has shown his ability and integrity.

After the last eight years, there's a lot of clean up do. Roll up your sleeves, Senators Obama and Biden, and we Goldwaters will roll ours up with you.

Meanwhile, the Atlanta Journal Constitution's "Political Insider" blog reported Tuesday that Alison Goldwater Ross, another granddaughter, already cast an early ballot for Obama in Georgia's Fulton County.

“Coming from a political family, I had insight into a lot of things,” Goldwater Ross told the newspaper, pointedly adding that doesn't "have respect" for McCain.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DanNowicki/36779

Werbung:
Back