Gov. Beverly Perdue (D-NC): We should cancel the elections

Little-Acorn

Ummm..... Beverly.... the new members of Congress ARE focusing on the economy.

They're just not doing it the way you and your fellow Democrats want.

They're doing it the way the American people want, instead.

Nice try.

--------------------------------------

http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/27/nc-governor-recommends-suspending-democracy-to-focus-on-jobs/

NC governor recommends suspending democracy to focus on jobs

Published: 3:58 PM 09/27/2011 | Updated: 5:01 PM 09/27/2011
By Matthew Boyle - The Daily Caller

As a way to solve the national debt crisis, North Carolina Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue recommends suspending congressional elections for the next couple of years.

“I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won’t hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover,” Perdue said at a rotary club event in Cary, North Carolina, according to the Raleigh News & Observer. “I really hope that someone can agree with me on that.”

Perdue said she thinks that temporarily halting elections would allow members of Congress to focus on the economy. “You have to have more ability from Congress, I think, to work together and to get over the partisan bickering and focus on fixing things,” Perdue said.

North Carolina Republicans immediately scoffed at Perdue’s proposal, pointing out to her that elections hold politicians accountable for their actions.

“Now is a time when politicians need to be held accountable more than ever,” North Carolina GOP spokesman Rob Lockwood said in an email to The Daily Caller. “To suspend an election would be removing the surest mechanism that citizens have to hold politicians accountable: the right to vote.”

Werbung:
looks like a trend....

Peter Orszag opines

During my recent stint in the Obama administration as director of the Office of Management and Budget, it was clear to me that the country’s political polarization was growing worse—harming Washington’s ability to do the basic, necessary work of governing. If you need confirmation of this, look no further than the recent debt-limit debacle, which clearly showed that we are becoming two nations governed by a single Congress—and that paralyzing gridlock is the result.

So what to do? To solve the serious problems facing our country, we need to minimize the harm from legislative inertia by relying more on automatic policies and depoliticized commissions for certain policy decisions. In other words, radical as it sounds, we need to counter the gridlock of our political institutions by making them a bit less democratic.

I had a particularly cold chill in my spine with the two nations line.

[Prog on]This is glorious news comrades! The Progressive revolution is upon us! Democracy has failed and it's time that we crown Obama "el presidente" for life...

picture.php

As for Congress, that's just a speed-bump on the road to the Progressive Utopia of Next Tuesday, so it should either be dissolved or, if those politicians wish to keep their jobs, become a rubber stamp to the dictates of our fuhrer, uh, I mean leader. [Prog off]

Ummm..... Beverly.... the new members of Congress ARE focusing on the economy.

They're just not doing it the way you and your fellow Democrats want.

They're doing it the way the American people want, instead.

Nice try.

--------------------------------------

http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/27/nc-governor-recommends-suspending-democracy-to-focus-on-jobs/

NC governor recommends suspending democracy to focus on jobs

Published: 3:58 PM 09/27/2011 | Updated: 5:01 PM 09/27/2011
By Matthew Boyle - The Daily Caller

As a way to solve the national debt crisis, North Carolina Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue recommends suspending congressional elections for the next couple of years.

“I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won’t hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover,” Perdue said at a rotary club event in Cary, North Carolina, according to the Raleigh News & Observer. “I really hope that someone can agree with me on that.”

Perdue said she thinks that temporarily halting elections would allow members of Congress to focus on the economy. “You have to have more ability from Congress, I think, to work together and to get over the partisan bickering and focus on fixing things,” Perdue said.

North Carolina Republicans immediately scoffed at Perdue’s proposal, pointing out to her that elections hold politicians accountable for their actions.

“Now is a time when politicians need to be held accountable more than ever,” North Carolina GOP spokesman Rob Lockwood said in an email to The Daily Caller. “To suspend an election would be removing the surest mechanism that citizens have to hold politicians accountable: the right to vote.”

Not ALL American people! Only the 2012 elections will tell HOW MANY American people wants the GOP way. . .and right now, the Congress's approval is at an ALL TIME LOW!

Doesn't quite sound like a mandate by "ALL AMERICAN PEOPLE" to me!

Not ALL American people! Only the 2012 elections will tell HOW MANY American people wants the GOP way. . .and right now, the Congress's approval is at an ALL TIME LOW!

Doesn't quite sound like a mandate by "ALL AMERICAN PEOPLE" to me!

lefties disapprove of righties and vice versa ergo general unhappiness. last time it was this low dems ruled both houses. tell you anything ?

Congress is obviously trending right and you are correct that we discover the extent in Nov 2012.

Maybe it's time to go to the other extreme: Have a special election with all offices up for grabs, and no incumbents allowed to run.

Then, impose strict term limits and spending limits on campaigns.

Let's elect some people who are willing to do a short term of public service instead of those who will do whatever it takes to further their careers. We could have a citizen legislature instead of a bunch of partisan hacks whose only goal seems to be to stay in power as long as possible.

Or, am I being too harsh?

Maybe it's time to go to the other extreme: Have a special election with all offices up for grabs, and no incumbents allowed to run.

Let's elect some people who are willing to do a short term of public service instead of those who will do whatever it takes to further their careers. We could have a citizen legislature instead of a bunch of partisan hacks whose only goal seems to be to stay in power as long as possible.

Or, am I being too harsh?

I like it! As long as those willing to do "short term" careers in Congress do not automatically receive LONG TERM pensions!
Can you imagine if we changed Congressmen every 4 years, and each one was eligible for full pensions? Now, talk about a way to INCREASE the deficit!

lefties disapprove of righties and vice versa ergo general unhappiness. last time it was this low dems ruled both houses. tell you anything ?

Congress is obviously trending right and you are correct that we discover the extent in Nov 2012.

Dear, it was NEVER this low! ;)

I like it! As long as those willing to do "short term" careers in Congress do not automatically receive LONG TERM pensions!
Can you imagine if we changed Congressmen every 4 years, and each one was eligible for full pensions? Now, talk about a way to INCREASE the deficit!

Nope, no pensions. Maybe, no salaries either, just a reimbursement of expenses. We need people who have been successful in the private sector and don't need pensions and such.

I'm all for throwing the bums out...

None of that is necessary...

How about we have state lotteries where every single eligible tax payer (not just filer) has their name put "in a hat" and a winner is drawn at random... much like how the court system picks jurors.

The odds of someone getting drawn twice is astronomical, so there's no need for term limits, and since there is no fundraising or campaigns to finance, and no political career to advance, we would truly have a citizen legislature.

I'm all for throwing the bums out...

None of that is necessary...

How about we have state lotteries where every single eligible tax payer (not just filer) has their name put "in a hat" and a winner is drawn at random... much like how the court system picks jurors.

The odds of someone getting drawn twice is astronomical, so there's no need for term limits, and since there is no fundraising or campaigns to finance, and no political career to advance, we would truly have a citizen legislature.

Yes, we would.

I wonder whether the odds of a moron being picked would be greater or less than having one elected? So far, we've done fairly well (picking morons, that is).

Yes, we would.

I wonder whether the odds of a moron being picked would be greater or less than having one elected? So far, we've done fairly well (picking morons, that is).

Like a jury pool, we could have some kind of "screening" process but I think if you're capable of holding down a job in the real world, that alone puts you ahead of most politicians in Washington.

Like a jury pool, we could have some kind of "screening" process but I think if you're capable of holding down a job in the real world, that alone puts you ahead of most politicians in Washington.

Yes, it does.

I think we're on to something here.

Werbung:

We already have a screening process in place...they are called elections.

Back