Govt will hit the Debt Ceiling today

Little-Acorn

If the Debt Ceiling doesn't get raised, what will the Obama Admin do? Simply start violating the Debt Ceiling law? That would be consistent with their other responses to laws they don't like, particularly that one written in 1789. Or will they actually stop borrowing money at that point?

If the ceiling doesn't get raised, it will be the equivalent of an instant Balanced Budget Amendment (excpt this one isn't a Constitutional amendment). From this point on, govt can't spend more than it takes in, period. It would have to borrow money to do so, and borrowing is no longer permitted.

Remind me again, why this would be a BAD thing?

Will the Obama admin start violating the law, and keep borrowing (getting loans, selling bonds, stealing from Medicare and Social Security, etc.)? Or will they raise taxes hugely (would this actually bring in that much money, or would it merely reduce the economic activity that gets taxed?)? Or will they actually stop spending as much as they had planned to?

If the latter, which programs might they cut down spending on?

Some people fear they will stop paying interest on the money they have already borrowed, and/or refuse to redeem debt when it becomes due, as various parts of it do every day. This would shatter the country's financial structure in a blink, and send our credit ratings down the drain intantly. Plus, those green pieces of paper in your wallet might suddenly be worth a lot less. You didn't need to buy groceries tomorrow after all, did you?

Or, might they announce that all govt workers, or maybe all except military, will suddenly get a 25% reduction in pay, and if they don't like it they can quit. Or perhaps, cut non-military govt pensions by 25% (or more).

Or, might they announce that all payments for Medicare, Social Security, Railroad Retirement, and all the rest of the things govt is paying for, will get the 25% reduction. Watch for low-flying pigs if that happens (it ain't a-gonna).

What WILL they do?

We can no longer avoid this debate. It starts hitting the fan TODAY, Monday, May 16, 2011.

Here's a thought: How about getting out that dusty old law written in 1787, plus all its amendments since, and seeing which govt programs are explicitly authorized in it (as required by its 10th amendment)... and start applying the 25% cut to all the ones that aren't? And if that's not enough, a 30% cut... or 35%.... etc.

Sound like a plan? If not, then what do YOU suggest they do if the Debt Ceiling is not raised?

-------------------------------

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703421204576325583050561022.html

As Debt Limit Reached, Agreement Still Far Off

By DAMIAN PALETTA And CAROL E. LEE
May 16, 2011

WSJ's Paul Vigna reports the nation's nearly $14.3 trillion debt ceiling will be breached today. Also, NASDAQ withdrew its bid for the NYSE.

The U.S. government is expected to hit the $14.294 trillion debt ceiling Monday, setting in motion an uncertain, 11-week political scramble to avoid a default.

The Treasury Department plans to announce Monday it will stop issuing and reinvesting government securities in certain government pension plans, part of a series of steps designed to delay a default until Aug. 2.

The Treasury's moves buy time for the White House and congressional leaders to reach a deficit-reduction agreement that could clear the way for enough lawmakers to vote to raise the amount of money Congress allows the nation to borrow.

Gene Sperling, director of the National Economic Council, said reaching the debt ceiling "should be a warning bell to the political system that it's time to get serious about preserving our full faith and credit." The Obama administration says a default would tip the U.S. back into a financial crisis.

Werbung:
Little-Acorn said:
The Treasury Department plans to announce Monday it will stop issuing and reinvesting government securities in certain government pension plans

I assume this means the govt will take away money they had planned to pay into these govt workers' retirement funds. Will they later restore this money, i.e. pay back the money they are taking here?

If so, isn't this just another form of borrowing? I thought that hitting the debt ceiling, meant that this is what we CAN'T do any more.

It's all really simple. The Democrats ignore laws that restrict their political power and political agendas. They'll break whatever laws they need to, and their minions in the news media will turn away, as if it never happened.

It's all really simple. The Democrats ignore laws that restrict their political power and political agendas. They'll break whatever laws they need to, and their minions in the news media will turn away, as if it never happened.

If investors “around the world thought the full faith and credit of the U.S. was not being backed up, if they thought we might renege on our IOUs, it could unravel the entire financial system,” Obama said on a segment taped for today’s “Face the Nation” program on CBS. “We could have a worse recession than we’ve already had.”

Good, then he couldn't blame the worse recession on Bush... and who was it sir chump, that increased the deficits more than ALL other presidents from Washington through Reagan COMBINED!!!!!? It was you sir chump AND NOW, suddenly you are worried that the adults will take away your credit card and if they do.... then that might cause a worse recession... Worse than what recession? The one everybody's children and grandchildren will have by all this forward reckless credit borrowing and expansion of the Federal, State and local gov?

Get real Obama, it is about time the Gov was put on a prisoner of war styled diet. Everyone loses weight on that diet even the big fat bloated sloth which the Obama administration has unleashed on your children and grandchildren. Welcome to the Shufflefoot Empire.

"you better be nice to me and raise the debt ceiling on my credit card... or, or, or... we could have a really bad recession and and and... unemployment could go above 8% unless the stimulus bill is not passed immediately without reading it.." [Therein lies Obama's credibility] not one, of his economic teams' projections has been accurate. In fact, they have all been off by 50% or more in every case. It is obvious that Obama doesn't know what the heck he is doing. It is just another banana dance.

just sayin
doug

If investors “around the world thought the full faith and credit of the U.S. was not being backed up, if they thought we might renege on our IOUs, it could unravel the entire financial system,” Obama said on a segment taped for today’s “Face the Nation” program on CBS. “We could have a worse recession than we’ve already had.”

Good, then he couldn't blame the worse recession on Bush... and who was it sir chump, that increased the deficits more than ALL other presidents from Washington through Reagan COMBINED!!!!!? It was you sir chump AND NOW, suddenly you are worried that the adults will take away your credit card and if they do.... then that might cause a worse recession... Worse than what recession? The one everybody's children and grandchildren will have by all this forward reckless credit borrowing and expansion of the Federal, State and local gov?

Get real Obama, it is about time the Gov was put on a prisoner of war styled diet. Everyone loses weight on that diet even the big fat bloated sloth which the Obama administration has unleashed on your children and grandchildren. Welcome to the Shufflefoot Empire.

"you better be nice to me and raise the debt ceiling on my credit card... or, or, or... we could have a really bad recession and and and... unemployment could go above 8% unless the stimulus bill is not passed immediately without reading it.." [Therein lies Obama's credibility] not one, of his economic teams' projections has been accurate. In fact, they have all been off by 50% or more in every case. It is obvious that Obama doesn't know what the heck he is doing. It is just another banana dance.

just sayin
doug

You must mean "Sir Chimp", don't you? :eek::D

Here's my prediction:

The Congress will start by leaping and hooting and pointing fingers at the other party (whichever one they don't belong to themselves.) They will take money from the pension fund and wherever else they can get it. Eventually, that will run out, and they will shut down the government.

When that happens, the self described "conservatives", who really aren't conservatives at all, will rub their hands in glee and declare a government shut down to be a good thing, thus earning points from their constituency who are looking in horror at that 14 teradollar debt that they are sure is the result of Planned Parenthood and illegal immigration.

After further leaping, hooting, and pointing of fingers, they will raise the debt ceiling, and continue business as usual.

Here's my prediction:

The Congress will start by leaping and hooting and pointing fingers at the other party (whichever one they don't belong to themselves.) They will take money from the pension fund and wherever else they can get it. Eventually, that will run out, and they will shut down the government.

When that happens, the self described "conservatives", who really aren't conservatives at all, will rub their hands in glee and declare a government shut down to be a good thing, thus earning points from their constituency who are looking in horror at that 14 teradollar debt that they are sure is the result of Planned Parenthood and illegal immigration.

After further leaping, hooting, and pointing of fingers, they will raise the debt ceiling, and continue business as usual.

We, you and I, conservatives and liberals, and others, must be united to not let the debt limit be raised. Business as usual is damaging this country a whole lot.

We, you and I, conservatives and liberals, and others, must be united to not let the debt limit be raised. Business as usual is damaging this country a whole lot.

The debt limit will be raised, but only after there is plenty of pork spread around to various states and Congressional districts to appease those who are pretending they don't want the debt limit raised.

The palm-greasing will be going on at a feverish pace, and all We The People can do about it is bend over, brace ourselves, and waste our votes in 2012 on some more dishonest, gutless, carpetbagging devils.

yes sir...lol

I'm now waiting for the "race warlords" to accuse me of being a "racist" for calling Obama a "chimp".

The problem with equating being called a "chimp" with "racism" is that I witnessed G.W. Bush being called a "chimp" thousands of times, in just about every forum I have ever been a part of.

I'm now waiting for the "race warlords" to accuse me of being a "racist" for calling Obama a "chimp".

The problem with equating being called a "chimp" with "racism" is that I witnessed G.W. Bush being called a "chimp" thousands of times, in just about every forum I have ever been a part of.

obama-chimp-photo_485x341-450x316.jpg

Werbung:

I'm sure you did hear that with regard to Bush. I'm sure you also see calling a black man a chimp is a race - based attack.

Back