Health care rationing coming to a town near you

Dr.Who

The following are some excerpts from this article:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...al-security-board-favors-healthcare-rationing

After nominating Donald Berwick as head of Medicare and Medicaid, President Obama has now nominated Henry Aaron as head of the Social Security Advisory Board, and they are both proponents of healthcare rationing. Berwick, who Obama appointed through executive measures, circumventing the conventional Senate confirmation, has stated, "The decision is not whether or now we will ration care…. The decision is whether we will ration with our eyes open. And right now, we are doing it blindly."

The Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB), a U.S. government agency established in 2010 by sections of Obama’s healthcare overhaul, has the explicit task of curtailing the rate of growth in Medicare expenditures

If ObamaCare is not repealed, the decrees of the IPAB’s 15 unelected members would effectively become law. In fact, once the board has made a ruling on a certain treatment plan, the decision must be overturned by statute under ObamaCare — meaning, a majority in both the House and Senate and a signature from the President.

Aaron concedes that the IPAB is flawed, but only because he believes the board’s largely unchecked powers are not unchecked enough. "I admit that the provisions governing the IPAB are less than optimal. For example, recommendations regarding payments to acute and long-term care hospitals, hospices and inpatient rehabilitation and psychiatric facilities are off-limits until 2020; and those to clinical laboratories are off-limits until 2016," Aaron wrote. "These politically motivated restrictions should be repealed as early as possible so the IPAB’s recommendations can comprehend the delivery system as a whole."

If Americans are serious about curbing medical costs, they’ll have to face up to a much tougher issue than merely cutting waste, says Brookings Institution economist Henry J. Aaron.

They’ll have to do what the British have done: ration some types of costly medical care — which means turning away patients from proven treatments. If Americans are serious about curbing medical costs, they’ll have to face up to a much tougher issue than merely cutting waste, says Brookings Institution economist Henry J. Aaron.

They’ll have to do what the British have done: ration some types of costly medical care — which means turning away patients from proven treatments.

The authors noted that many healthcare services in the United States were strictly rationed in Britain. "For example," the Post reported, "British doctors order half as many X-rays per capita as their American counterparts, and use half as much film per X-ray. They do one-tenth as much coronary artery bypass surgery. British hospitals have one-sixth as many CAT scanners and less than one-fifth as many intensive care unit (ICU) beds…. Half the patients with chronic kidney failure in Britain are left untreated — and die as a result."

Now I, Dr. Who, ask you, which hospital do you want to go to? The one that used half as many x-rays or the one that spends perhaps too much money on x-rays. Frankly, when it is my body I choose the wasteful one that saves my life. I am willing to pay more for it and it is my money anyway. Well, it is my money until we have a universal health plan. Then it is Obama money and he gets to decide where it gets spent.

Werbung:
All economic systems ration scarce goods and services. A free market health care system is no exception to this rule.

A public health care system rations medical goods and services according to the patient's need.

A private system rations it according to the client's ability to pay.

The debate is not about whether or not to ration. the debate is about how to ration.

All economic systems ration scarce goods and services. A free market health care system is no exception to this rule.

A public health care system rations medical goods and services according to the patient's need.

The debate is not about whether or not to ration. the debate is about how to ration.

if you are interested in a convincing argument you might consider defensive medicine as a cause of extraneous testing.

if you are interested in a convincing argument you might consider defensive medicine as a cause of extraneous testing.

Yes. This problem affects all medical systems. It is especially problematic in the US.

I have no idea how it relates to the issue of health care rationing.

Yes. This problem affects all medical systems. It is especially problematic in the US.

I have no idea how it relates to the issue of health care rationing.

not all medical systems are subject to the extortion level we enjoy here so it makes a difference.

rationing is where money is intentionally not spent for non-medical reasons that favor the delivery side (which includes the paying entity not just the providers). I can chose to accept or deny a thing, not the same deal.

not all medical systems are subject to the extortion level we enjoy here so it makes a difference.

Yes. The USA has a litigious society.

rationing is where money is intentionally not spent for non-medical reasons that favor the delivery side (which includes the paying entity not just the providers). I can chose to accept or deny a thing, not the same deal.

You mean, like insurance companies and private hospitals paying for advertising?

Those are examples of service providers intentionally spending money on non-medical goods and services.

Rationing by definition includes an authority that uses its power to stop people from accessing resources.

When a person cannot afford to buy a product that is otherwise available that is not rationing.

The key here is that rationing is inherently wrong while people have a great deal of control over their ability to make purchases. Those who work the hardest and for the longest can buy more.

Werbung:
Yes.

Like when insurance companies refuse to pay for treatment?

When an insurance company refuses to pay for a treatment it is presumably following the contract between the policy holder and the company. Should it not be following the agreed upon contract then the person can take the company to court. Some time back we had a thread on this and we discovered that in the state of illinois there were only a handful of times that an insurance company was taken to court and in every instance the court ruled that the insurance company was in the right. Perhaps the court made an illegitimate ruling?

However, if the gov is the entity that is denying treatment then there is a zero chance of taking things to a third party to seek justice.

We are far better off when the state takes its role seriously to ensure that there is a rule of law, that contracts are followed than we are when the state is just another provider of services that competes unfairly with other providers. If the state is not doing its job as a third party to ensure that contracts are followed as they should be then we should not be trusting the state to be the second party and the third party in the contract. However, is the state is doing its job to enforce contracts then there is no problem.

Back