House passes resolution admonishing Wilson

Popeye

The House of Representatives on Tuesday formally admonished Republican Rep. Joe Wilson for shouting "you lie" during President Obama's speech to a joint session of Congress last week.

The House passed a resolution of disapproval on a 240-179 vote that was mostly along party lines, reflecting the Democratic majority in the chamber. Twelve Democrats voted "no," while seven Republicans voted for the measure. Five representatives, all Democrats, voted "present."

According to the Office of the House Historian, it was the first time in its 220-year history that the House has disciplined a member for speaking out during a presidential speech in the chamber to a joint session of Congress.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/15/wilson.resolution/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Werbung:
I saw MSNBC and the republican Senator that sat directly in front of Senator Wilson voted to admonish him..."this needs to be stopped, the 'ANTI' crowd should never behave in this manner"!!!

Finally, a voice of reason in the land of 'LOST MINDS & BAD INTENTIONS' :)

There isn't something more important they could be doing? Our representatives chose to spend this much of our time and money on slapping the hand of one of their own.

They are disgraceful. I want my money back for that days work!

There isn't something more important they could be doing? Our representatives chose to spend this much of our time and money on slapping the hand of one of their own.

There are certain rules worth following. And decorum & respect at a Presidential address to Congress is one of them.

I'd rather not see the Congress of the United States end up being like the screaming & heckling British Parliament or the lawmakers throwing punches like in some other countries.

Maybe you wouldn't mind seeing it degenerate to that. For me personally Wrong Way Joe Wilson had every opportunity to make it short & sweet. All he had to do was sack up and take a couple minutes to apologize to his fellow members for embarrassing the body. It was totally his choice.

Or we could just let rules deteriorate to this and say... How'd that happen?

This really did not take away time from anything else.

There are certain rules worth following. And decorum & respect at a Presidential address to Congress is one of them.

I'd rather not see the Congress of the United States end up being like the screaming & heckling British Parliament or the lawmakers throwing punches like in some other countries.

Maybe you wouldn't mind seeing it degenerate to that. For me personally Wrong Way Joe Wilson had every opportunity to make it short & sweet. All he had to do was sack up and take a couple minutes to apologize to his fellow members for embarrassing the body. It was totally his choice.

Or we could just let rules deteriorate to this and say... How'd that happen?

As much as I disagree with what Wilson did, I have been unable to find in the House rules any clear rule that he broke. That said, I am still reading them.

Also, as an aside, you think it is bad now, there have been brawls on the floor of Congress before, as well as outright beatings with things like a cane. Could be worse. ;)

As much as I disagree with what Wilson did, I have been unable to find in the House rules any clear rule that he broke. That said, I am still reading them.

Also, as an aside, you think it is bad now, there have been brawls on the floor of Congress before, as well as outright beatings with things like a cane. Could be worse. ;)

And elected officials have been drug out by the 'Sargent of Arms' {or whatever his official title is}...he's posted there at the door for that specific reason...things have gotten out of hand in or past 200 plus years...but not in my lifetime, not like that!!!

yes they chose to spend time enforcing the rules...how dare they..

In my lifetime, I can remember at least 5 times that I've heard a congressman, in open session, say that the President was a liar. This is against the rules, but this is the first time they have sanctioned a representative. Curious how that works? Selective enforcement makes a rule or law mute.

In my lifetime, I can remember at least 5 times that I've heard a congressman, in open session, say that the President was a liar. This is against the rules, but this is the first time they have sanctioned a representative. Curious how that works? Selective enforcement makes a rule or law mute.

While they have the floor they are generally given considerable leeway with thier comments. I dont know how old you are, but nobody in my recent memory has had an outburst like that.
While I would appreciate it if Rob could provide a link to the source he is looking at to find out which rules were potentially broken. I have been a part of numerous formal councils, boards, and committees, and frankly I cant imagine a single one of them where shouting a personal insult towards someone who has the floor would be tolerated.

As for Congress taking action, I wouldnt have bothered honestly. Jon Stewart had a funny scene tonight on his show were Pelosi is seen the day after the event, and in front of cameras says Wilson has apologized and we should move on. Then two days later, the resolution gets filed.

Either way, Wilson was wrong to do what he did. He did the right thing to apologize to the White House. What bugs me more than anything, is the continious tit for tat exchanges and score settling that just reeks from DC.

You are comparing Apples to Oranges...open session when they are debating a particular bill/issue/ideas...is NOT THE SAME as when the President is ushered into chambers for a SPEECH before the ENTIRE HOUSE...NOT THE SAME THING, NO WAY!!!

Well under Section 370 of the House Rules and Manual it appears that it is against the House rules to call the President a "liar", among other things.

H. Resolution 5 confirmed that these rules remained in effect for the 111th Congress, so Wilson clearly broke that rule.

Interestingly, if a Senator had done it, it would not have actually violated any rule.

Yeah.....we wouldn't want to distract Republicans from doing NOTHING on health-care legislation.

:rolleyes:

Werbung:
Back