How are individual weapons assigned to infantry in the military?

DemandCurve

More specifically, how is it decided if a soldier would carry an automatic rifle, or a shotgun? For instance, in many Vietnam and later war movies (e.g. "Platoon") most 'grunts' carry M16 or similar automatic rifles, but there may be one or two soldiers with shotguns instead. How is it decided if you'd be issued a shotgun or the standard issue automatic rifle?

Werbung:
In addition to the ISSUE wepons that any given soldier may have, there are options for personally owned firearms that a soldier may carry either in addition to or instead of the issue wepon(s).

Many soldiers in Vietnam carried personally owned firearms because thats the piece that they where most familar with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
and as we all know
the emperor is NAKED!

More specifically, how is it decided if a soldier would carry an automatic rifle, or a shotgun? For instance, in many Vietnam and later war movies (e.g. "Platoon") most 'grunts' carry M16 or similar automatic rifles, but there may be one or two soldiers with shotguns instead. How is it decided if you'd be issued a shotgun or the standard issue automatic rifle?

You are assigned to different units and squadrons based on your strengths. For example, the excellent marksman become snipers and are assigned high power rifles in addition to small arms fire (Glock 22 or 9 mm). Beneath them are riflemen who are good shooters, but not quite up to the level of snipers. Then there are those whose strengths might be urban combat or house-to-house warfare. These are the type of people who are assigned shotguns. However, in the Marine Corps, every jarhead is trained to proficiency with an M16, M1A1, and usually an M14.

One thing I will add, although not in the military myself, but from what I understand, the application of different weapons such as shotguns, submachineguns,LMG etc have quite a bit to do with an individual mission.

You could be issued a shotgun for particular duty. Guys who handled dogs often carried combat shotguns and sometimes a platoon would be issued a couple of shotguns that passed from hand to hand as your turn "on point" came up.

Generally speaking, a shotgun isn't really a practical combat weapon unless you are in an urban setting, but when you were on point, it was entirely possible to stumble upon the enemy and in close quarters like that, you might get him with a shotgun before he got you with a handgun or a rifle.

I can't recall anyone in the field carrying a shotgun exclusively.

USMC summed it up pretty good. The only thing I can think to add is the makeup of a squad. A squad is typically 9 people with 2 teams of 4, and 1 squad leader. The squad leader carries and M16, as do both team leaders. Each team has another rifleman carrying an M16. One person in each team is designated as a grenadier, and has an M16 equipped with an M203 grenade launcher. Each team also has a M249 automatic rifle. So the typical infantry squad consists of 5 M16s, 2 M16s with M203s, and 2 M249s.

You could be issued a shotgun for particular duty. Guys who handled dogs often carried combat shotguns and sometimes a platoon would be issued a couple of shotguns that passed from hand to hand as your turn "on point" came up.

Generally speaking, a shotgun isn't really a practical combat weapon unless you are in an urban setting, but when you were on point, it was entirely possible to stumble upon the enemy and in close quarters like that, you might get him with a shotgun before he got you with a handgun or a rifle.

I can't recall anyone in the field carrying a shotgun exclusively.

All true. The mix of weapons used by any given unit was often determined by circumstance and environment. Some people actually prefer a shotgun in the close confines of a dense forest or tall grass. Once people are out in the field they might be found carrying almost anything. I knew a guy who often carried a Soviet PPS-41. The M-16 works just fine for me.

All true. The mix of weapons used by any given unit was often determined by circumstance and environment. Some people actually prefer a shotgun in the close confines of a dense forest or tall grass. Once people are out in the field they might be found carrying almost anything. I knew a guy who often carried a Soviet PPS-41. The M-16 works just fine for me.

Are you in the Marines?

Are you in the Marines?

Navy. Served on PBRs. River Division 515, 1969-70. Mostly on the Bassac and Mekong. With occassional scenic tours of the Vinh Te Canal. If you want to know more I would be willing to discuss it with you through private messege. I am uncomfortable doing so in a public forum. It's not something I like to dwell on. And I usually only talk about it with other combat veterans.

Navy. Served on PBRs. River Division 515, 1969-70. Mostly on the Bassac and Mekong. With occassional scenic tours of the Vinh Te Canal. If you want to know more I would be willing to discuss it with you through private messege. I am uncomfortable doing so in a public forum. It's not something I like to dwell on. And I usually only talk about it with other combat veterans.

EXACTLY.............................

THIS

THIS

is the TYPE of statement i would know to expect of a

TRUE VETERAN

not the half glorified drivel typed here by some

is the TYPE of statement i would know to expect of a
TRUE VETERAN
not the half glorified drivel typed here by some

The way you follow me around is starting to make me think you might be gay and just have the hots for me. It looks like you are doing the internet equivalent of punching my arm and slapping my ass. I don't swing that way though, so you might want to try and find yourself another guy; and since the sorts of guys you are interested in are mostly out of the closet, I guess it is acceptable to just ask outright if they swing that way instead of playing the game you are playing with me.

The way you follow me around is starting to make me think you might be gay and just have the hots for me. It looks like you are doing the internet equivalent of punching my arm and slapping my ass. I don't swing that way though, so you might want to try and find yourself another guy; and since the sorts of guys you are interested in are mostly out of the closet, I guess it is acceptable to just ask outright if they swing that way instead of playing the game you are playing with me.

I think I must have missed something.

Werbung:
Back