How Illegals are being treated while in CUSTODY!

ASPCA4EVER

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
Officials Hid Truth About Immigrant Deaths in Jail
By NINA BERNSTEIN
Published: January 9, 2010
Silence has long shrouded the men and women who die in the nation’s immigration jails. For years, they went uncounted and unnamed in the public record. Even in 2008, when The New York Times obtained and published a federal government list of such deaths, few facts were available about who these people were and how they died.

Nery Romero, who died in immigration detention in 2007.

articleInline.jpg

Robert Stolarik for The New York Times
The family of Nery Romero in Elmont, N.Y., in 2007, after he was found hanging in his detention cell.
But behind the scenes, it is now clear, the deaths had already generated thousands of pages of government documents, including scathing investigative reports that were kept under wraps, and a trail of confidential memos and BlackBerry messages that show officials working to stymie outside inquiry.
The documents, obtained over recent months by The Times and the American Civil Liberties Union under the Freedom of Information Act, concern most of the 107 deaths in detention counted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement since October 2003, after the agency was created within the Department of Homeland Security.
The Obama administration has vowed to overhaul immigration detention, a haphazard network of privately run jails, federal centers and county cells where the government holds noncitizens while it tries to deport them.
But as the administration moves to increase oversight within the agency, the documents show how officials — some still in key positions — used their role as overseers to cover up evidence of mistreatment, deflect scrutiny by the news media or prepare exculpatory public statements after gathering facts that pointed to substandard care or abuse.
As one man lay dying of head injuries suffered in a New Jersey immigration jail in 2007, for example, a spokesman for the federal agency told The Times that he could learn nothing about the case from government authorities. In fact, the records show, the spokesman had alerted those officials to the reporter’s inquiry, and they conferred at length about sending the man back to Africa to avoid embarrassing publicity.
In another case that year, investigators from the agency’s Office of Professional Responsibility concluded that unbearable, untreated pain had been a significant factor in the suicide of a 22-year-old detainee at the Bergen County Jail in New Jersey, and that the medical unit was so poorly run that other detainees were at risk.
The investigation found that jail medical personnel had falsified a medication log to show that the detainee, a Salvadoran named Nery Romero, had been given Motrin. The fake entry was easy to detect: When the drug was supposedly administered, Mr. Romero was already dead.
Yet those findings were never disclosed to the public or to Mr. Romero’s relatives on Long Island, who had accused the jail of abruptly depriving him of his prescription painkiller for a broken leg. And an agency supervisor wrote that because other jails were “finicky” about accepting detainees with known medical problems like Mr. Romero’s, such people would continue to be placed at the Bergen jail as “a last resort.”
In a recent interview, Benjamin Feldman, a spokesman for the jail, which housed 1,503 immigration detainees last year, would not say whether any changes had been made since the death.
In February 2007, in the case of the dying African man, the immigration agency’s spokesman for the Northeast, Michael Gilhooly, rebuffed a Times reporter’s questions about the detainee, who had suffered a skull fracture at the privately run Elizabeth Detention Center in New Jersey. Mr. Gilhooly said that without a full name and alien registration number for the man, he could not check on the case.
But, records show, he had already filed a report warning top managers at the federal agency about the reporter’s interest and sharing information about the injured man, a Guinean tailor named Boubacar Bah. Mr. Bah, 52, had been left in an isolation cell without treatment for more than 13 hours before an ambulance was called.
While he lay in the hospital in a coma after emergency brain surgery, 10 agency managers in Washington and Newark conferred by telephone and e-mail about how to avoid the cost of his care and the likelihood of “increased scrutiny and/or media exposure,” according to a memo summarizing the discussion.
One option they explored was sending the dying man to Guinea, despite an e-mail message from the supervising deportation officer, who wrote, “I don’t condone removal in his present state as he has a catheter” and was unconscious. Another idea was renewing Mr. Bah’s canceled work permit in hopes of tapping into Medicaid or disability benefits.
Eventually, faced with paying $10,000 a month for nursing home care, officials settled on a third course: “humanitarian release” to cousins in New York who had protested that they had no way to care for him. But days before the planned release, Mr. Bah died.

<story source>
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/us/10detain.html?th&emc=th

While I don't always agree {yes, I'll admit to cherry picking the issues that the ACLU should be involved with} this article has pointed out some serious issues that have and are currently going on behind closed doors at the detention centers for illegal immigrants...there seems to be a great need to monitor this agency better then it has been in the past.
Now if I was of the same mindset as 'SOME' around here I would be blaming G.W.B. for NOT DOING HIS JOB...but I'll leave that 'screeching monkey cries' to the ones that will place the blame upon our new administration ;)

Werbung:
This is a worldwide issue, and I think you'll find simmilar complaints and accusations levied at most governments of the world. Immigrants and their plights tend not to stir the emmotions of most "normal" people and thus budgets for their care tend to be limited - I do not disagree with this as stance.

Whilst the cases highlighted are tragic I would venture that they are not common - you mention 107 cases since 2003.

This is a worldwide issue, and I think you'll find simmilar complaints and accusations levied at most governments of the world. Immigrants and their plights tend not to stir the emmotions of most "normal" people and thus budgets for their care tend to be limited - I do not disagree with this as stance.

Whilst the cases highlighted are tragic I would venture that they are not common - you mention 107 cases since 2003.
Well this article caught my eye and my knee jerk reaction was explosive to say the least...I guess I really hadn't ever given it much thought about the 'what happens to the illegals once they are caught being illegal'...kinda-of out of sight out of mind mentality! But there was another topic that I separated and posted a question for GIPPER, where the primary bases was "what are we to do with the cost that the states are struggling to cover for all of the illegals that cross into their state". And then I saw this article and I was surprised that besides the Mexican illegals we also have other foreignors who get caught by the FEDS.

Complex and costly!

...kinda-of out of sight out of mind mentality!
.....I think you've hit the nail on the head. On the other hand though, like the articles and sources you've posted, I think its right that organisations keep up the pressure on Governments so that there is always half an eye on this from public interest standpoint.

Complex and costly!
yup always tends to be the case BUT not unless they're shoved straight back over the border or back on the plane they came in on!

Werbung:
.....I think you've hit the nail on the head. On the other hand though, like the articles and sources you've posted, I think its right that organisations keep up the pressure on Governments so that there is always half an eye on this from public interest standpoint.

yup always tends to be the case BUT not unless they're shoved straight back over the border or back on the plane they came in on!

With a visible stamp/tattoo on their forehead "Return to Sender" :cool:

Back