Immigration Bill Advances in Senate

I think the law-abiding folks who have been waiting for years for the chance to legally immigrate to the U.S. deserve the opportunity this country has to offer more than those who hop across a fence in defiance of this country's laws.

I agree. I do not support illegal immigration. But I also think if you want to fix the problem you need to streamline the legal end - why are those people required to wait so long? Because the INS is archaic.

Werbung:
I don't agree. I think they need to restrict immiggration to some level because the effects of unrestricted immigration on education, healthcare, and Social Security would be devastating.

The recent immigration bill is dead, thankfully.

But upon realizing its demise, many of its disgruntled supporters in the senate chastised the American people by saying that now nothing will get done on the matter until after the 2008 election.

Just who do these obstinate little children think they are?!

There is NOTHING stopping them from doing the right thing, the right thing which is: blockading the border with Mexico, deporting illegal aliens, rescinding citizenship from those born here to illegals, and managing immigration for the sake of our infrastructure as the existing law requires.

But because each side in the issue is really more concerned with party power than what's right for Americans, they could care less about respecting the current law.

Yes, the economic conservatives want the cheap slave-wage labor, forgetting that our own civil war was fought because of such a heartless ideology, and the social liberals want the votes that minorities traditionally provide them, forgetting that the significant majority who now vote them into office aren't minorities, but multi-generation Americans with European ancestry people whose jobs would be sacrificed to the slave-wage class they wish to pardon.

So as long as their party power political struggles are more important to them than the healthy behavior of respecting boundaries, these temper-tantrum throwing senators will continue to try to do the wrong thing ...

... Such as giving up and chastising us Americans because we opposed their amnesty bill.

Impeach them all ... and vote loyal Americans into Congress.

Republicans and Democrats BOTH have totally evolved into a governmental entity that is anything but effective. The amnesty bill that we can all thank God (or your lucky stars, or whatever it is you give thanks to) that went down in flames was a cumbersome, unwieldy piece of bureaucracy. I'm not sure why we have to have these absolute monstrosities of bills on nearly any subject. The Heritage Institute has done the work for Congress, if any of them care to take a look. You can see their New Strategy summation for yourself. If you choose to dismiss it as a creation of a Conservative group, you are missing an opportunity at some very insightful, problem-solving work.

You're right, Chip, impeach them all! But that would be unimaginably difficult and expensive. The best thing we can do is start diligently seeking the qualified candidates NOW for the 2008, 2010, 2012 elections. I hope, for example, that the Democrats in Michigan are already in the process of looking for qualified candidates to run against Levin in the primary in 2008.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to go to the polls and get to select from Mr. Smith A and Mr. Smith B? I mean, people that may have very oppositional philosophies in some social and political matters, but who truly LOVE America and want to see it preserved and defended above all! I'd love to see every candidate have to list: 1) their knowledge of the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights, and 2) their 12 reasons why they think America is a great country. Now THOSE are questions I'd love to see in debates, for all national offices.

The recent immigration bill is dead, thankfully.

But upon realizing its demise, many of its disgruntled supporters in the senate chastised the American people by saying that now nothing will get done on the matter until after the 2008 election.

You ever wonder just who those supporters were? And why they supported it? I do.

Just who do these obstinate little children think they are?!

Bureaucrats. :cool:

There is NOTHING stopping them from doing the right thing, the right thing which is: blockading the border with Mexico, deporting illegal aliens, rescinding citizenship from those born here to illegals, and managing immigration for the sake of our infrastructure as the existing law requires.

I think you're taking it a bit far here. Better border security is all well and good, but I think we should look into letting those here in this country illegally earn their citizenship instead of just deporting them. Also, rescinding the "anchor baby" law is a good idea - but those already affected by it ought to be grandfathered in. Ex post facto.

But because each side in the issue is really more concerned with party power than what's right for Americans, they could care less about respecting the current law.

Sadly, that's nothing but the truth.

Yes, the economic conservatives want the cheap slave-wage labor, forgetting that our own civil war was fought because of such a heartless ideology, and the social liberals want the votes that minorities traditionally provide them, forgetting that the significant majority who now vote them into office aren't minorities, but multi-generation Americans with European ancestry people whose jobs would be sacrificed to the slave-wage class they wish to pardon.

I'm not sure I agree with your interpretations of the "why" - mostly I think that true economic conservatives adhere to the small business, Adam Smith model of capitalism, which doesn't include slave labor (and is in fact hurt by it). Other than that I'd say you're pretty close to spot on - these are how the parties are viewing things.

So as long as their party power political struggles are more important to them than the healthy behavior of respecting boundaries, these temper-tantrum throwing senators will continue to try to do the wrong thing ...

... Such as giving up and chastising us Americans because we opposed their amnesty bill.

Impeach them all ... and vote loyal Americans into Congress.

Once again with the extremes...impeachment is something that we really ought to save for especially nasty things, otherwise it loses some of its power. We can frighten our party-centric representatives well enough by letting them know that the next election is right around the corner.

I am looking back at my statements. I have never claimed that there were never issues with immigration or that all were welcomed with open arms. Indeed the exact same verbage used to day against Mexicans was used against other groups at other times. However - despite the attempts at restrictions, etc - huge numbers of poor and relatively undeducated people came into the country and many made a life for themselves that was better then where they came from.

The "verbage" used against Mexicans today and other groups of yesterday largely has a point. Excepting the nonsense about "inferior races" and such, immigrants are today are as poor, as uneducated, and as liable to disease, crime, and exploitation as those of history.

Your argument that we should permit immigrants because they came here and made a better life for themselves is dishonest. First of all, it is hardly true: many went back home because they hated it here, and most of the rest remained in the same kind of squalor and exploitation they were trying to escape. And second, it's also self-defeating -- that immigration is of benefit to immigrants is immaterial; we don't enact policies for their benefit but for our own.

And no, immigrants did not continue to come here en masse despite restrictions. Immigration plummeted in the 1920s when the first mass-restrictions were enacted. I have no idea of the effectiveness of ethnic-specific laws but I'm not terribly interested in defending them, anyway.

So point out please where I am rewriting history?

Again, you're saying immigrants made America great. I have seen absolutely no evidence that this country wouldn't have been great if immigration had ended after the American revolution.

Beyond that, I assumed you were being intellectually dishonest about our past with mass immigration because I have a hard time believing anyone can advocate it straight-facedly knowing about it, as you say you do. Why would any nation deliberately inflict such a wound on itself?

I think you're taking it a bit far here. Better border security is all well and good, but I think we should look into letting those here in this country illegally earn their citizenship instead of just deporting them. Also, rescinding the "anchor baby" law is a good idea - but those already affected by it ought to be grandfathered in. Ex post facto.

And exactly what sort of message does that send to people who have spent thousands of dollars and years jumping through the legal hoops to become "legal" American citizens?

Sadly, that's nothing but the truth.

I'm not sure I agree with your interpretations of the "why" - mostly I think that true economic conservatives adhere to the small business, Adam Smith model of capitalism, which doesn't include slave labor (and is in fact hurt by it). Other than that I'd say you're pretty close to spot on - these are how the parties are viewing things.

Once again with the extremes...impeachment is something that we really ought to save for especially nasty things, otherwise it loses some of its power. We can frighten our party-centric representatives well enough by letting them know that the next election is right around the corner.[/QUOTE]

Gotta admit....Spanky Trump merely gives the White-trash racists PERMISSION....TO SAY, OUT LOUD....what he / they have always believed..

Werbung:
Gotta admit....Spanky Trump merely gives the White-trash racists PERMISSION....TO SAY, OUT LOUD....what he / they have always believed..
Violent black racists intend to punish whites for being white, in spite of the utter stupidity of such barbaric racist thinking.

1709756530056.png

Back