In School Suspension

Jason76

I think, in many cases, especially with regards to bullying, it's ineffective for punishing students. They silently sit in a room all day and do homework. Once they come out, they simply resort to the same meaness as before.

Werbung:
Many options to discipline children in school are ridiculous. Worse than an in-school suspension is an at-home one. I had an acquaintance who had one of those, and while he was stuck at home and his parents were away, he would sit on the Xbox all day. Many kids would much rather do that than sit in a boring classroom!

I think many institutions must re-evaluate how to handle bullying and poor behavior, as it's becoming ineffective, and can even inspire more frequent occurrences of certain actions.

Many options to discipline children in school are ridiculous. Worse than an in-school suspension is an at-home one. I had an acquaintance who had one of those, and while he was stuck at home and his parents were away, he would sit on the Xbox all day. Many kids would much rather do that than sit in a boring classroom!

I think many institutions must re-evaluate how to handle bullying and poor behavior, as it's becoming ineffective, and can even inspire more frequent occurrences of certain actions.
I'm glad you bring the focus on the real problem, the parent (s).
No school discipline will matter unless it's supported by them.
Disable the internet, take the cell phone, STAY HOME AND MAKE THEM WORK. Be a parent.

I know a couple of school teachers and classroom assistants, and they say the same. Discipline needs to start in the home and it's the parents responsibility to make sure their child learns from an early age what's acceptable behaviour.

Unfortunately now, a lot of parents are depending on the school system to do that job for them, and a lot of parents are turning round and blaming the teachers for the bad behaviour.

The school system is there to educate, it's not there to provide parenting for those that can't be bothered to bring their own children up correctly.

I know a couple of school teachers and classroom assistants, and they say the same. Discipline needs to start in the home and it's the parents responsibility to make sure their child learns from an early age what's acceptable behaviour.

Unfortunately now, a lot of parents are depending on the school system to do that job for them, and a lot of parents are turning round and blaming the teachers for the bad behaviour.

The school system is there to educate, it's not there to provide parenting for those that can't be bothered to bring their own children up correctly.
Amen.
It bothers me when people berate teachers for poor performance of the kids.
Of course there are some terrible teachers but there are quite a lot of excellent ones. And the best teacher will not assure success with zero interest from the parent (s).

Exactly. The teachers can only do so much, and as soon as that school bell signals the end of the day, it's down to the parents to carry on teaching the children, the education shouldn't all fall on the shoulders of the teachers.

Exactly. The teachers can only do so much, and as soon as that school bell signals the end of the day, it's down to the parents to carry on teaching the children, the education shouldn't all fall on the shoulders of the teachers.
All involved have their part to perform.

All involved have their part to perform.

Indeed. While parenting is first and foremost, I think people are often quick to judge parents. The kids are away from their parents 8+ hours each weekday, under the authority of the schools. So, yes, I do think the school should take some responsibility as well. I know my kids have tried to get away with things at school that they would never try to get away with at home.

An at home suspension should not be a joy ride. My kids knew they wouldn't be playing video games if they ever got sent home... Still, I'm not sure in-school suspension is that great either. If it were up to me, I'd create a "community service" type of thing in schools, and use that as a way of teaching while reprimanding. Just a thought.

Indeed. While parenting is first and foremost, I think people are often quick to judge parents. The kids are away from their parents 8+ hours each weekday, under the authority of the schools. So, yes, I do think the school should take some responsibility as well. I know my kids have tried to get away with things at school that they would never try to get away with at home.

An at home suspension should not be a joy ride. My kids knew they wouldn't be playing video games if they ever got sent home... Still, I'm not sure in-school suspension is that great either. If it were up to me, I'd create a "community service" type of thing in schools, and use that as a way of teaching while reprimanding. Just a thought.
Nice idea but probably illegal. And who sorts out what they do and who supervises them.
Who exactly dictates those 8 hrs ? Hint: it aint the schools. I demanded that teachers teach nothing else. And for the most part they did. There were a couple who had talks with their bosses one that found another line of work.

Nice idea but probably illegal. And who sorts out what they do and who supervises them.
Who exactly dictates those 8 hrs ? Hint: it aint the schools. I demanded that teachers teach nothing else. And for the most part they did. There were a couple who had talks with their bosses one that found another line of work.

Yeah, I hand't thought that far ahead. I just feel like they need to be doing something productive, and if the offense is one against others then learning how to give something back to the "community" via service, would seem to be a good teaching tool.

I'm sure that there is work to be done around the school, outside of the normal custodial duties... Instead of a teacher/coach etc. basically supervising what amounts to a study hall, they could supervise having the kids do some work. Maybe not 8 hours a day, since that might well be illegal, (although it wouldn't necessarily have to be physical labor either) but I don't think it would hurt them a bit to get up and do a little something as part of their punishment.

Yeah, I hand't thought that far ahead. I just feel like they need to be doing something productive, and if the offense is one against others then learning how to give something back to the "community" via service, would seem to be a good teaching tool.

I'm sure that there is work to be done around the school, outside of the normal custodial duties... Instead of a teacher/coach etc. basically supervising what amounts to a study hall, they could supervise having the kids do some work. Maybe not 8 hours a day, since that might well be illegal, (although it wouldn't necessarily have to be physical labor either) but I don't think it would hurt them a bit to get up and do a little something as part of their punishment.
Love the concept but the devil is in the details. One other thing is that extracurricular groups do a lot in this line. As these activities enhance college applications administration won't pull them off opportunities in favor of delinquents. My kid did a huge amount of these things so i got an education on it.

Love the concept but the devil is in the details. One other thing is that extracurricular groups do a lot in this line. As these activities enhance college applications administration won't pull them off opportunities in favor of delinquents. My kid did a huge amount of these things so i got an education on it.

Very true. I guess I just feel like "punishment" doesn't always work if they don't learn anything from it. Sitting in study hall all day doesn't really shake things up.

Yep, my kids did the extra curricular stuff, which is basically what inspired the idea. I certainly wouldn't push the good kids aside for the delinquents either, but I'm sure we could find something for them to do.

Just throwing ideas out there, since the current measures don't seem to work very well.

Very true. I guess I just feel like "punishment" doesn't always work if they don't learn anything from it. Sitting in study hall all day doesn't really shake things up.

Yep, my kids did the extra curricular stuff, which is basically what inspired the idea. I certainly wouldn't push the good kids aside for the delinquents either, but I'm sure we could find something for them to do.

Just throwing ideas out there, since the current measures don't seem to work very well.
From a punishment perspective, I SD is torture if they are made to sit silently and phonelessly.
But something must be better preferably involving a parent.
Hmmm
Maybe make mom come and sit with them ? How many of those before they choose to parent ?

From a punishment perspective, I SD is torture if they are made to sit silently and phonelessly.
But something must be better preferably involving a parent.
Hmmm
Maybe make mom come and sit with them ? How many of those before they choose to parent ?

Hmmm.. or dad? ;)

Again, I'm not so quick to always blame the parents. Kids do make their own choices and should be held accountable for those choices. Even good kids make mistakes sometimes too. I just think that the punishment should hold enough weight that it makes them think before doing the same thing again.

I remember in school suspension. It was no big. Of course, I'm old, so mobile phones/devices weren't a thing then. I guess cutting them off from their "life lines" could be seen as torture... lol.

Werbung:
Bullies need to be challenged by someone who is being bullied or his/her friends in one way or another to mend their ways. Suspending them for a few days would not improve things in the long run. Hillary Clinton was in a bullying situation in primary school and her parents would not let her back into their house until she resolved the situation by confronting the bullies on her own.

Back