internet sales tax coming soon ?

dogtowner

Staff member
Well its steaming through the US Senate. I guess we wil.see ehat the house does.

Its supposed to be limited to companies with internet sales of a million.up.

Oddly enough Amazon supports, Ebay opposes.

Of course it does present some.wonderful.new.taxing capanility if they cross this line. Feferal tax ? Some even think.its a precursor to financial transavtion.tax.

I think its pretty cear Congress agrees with BO that the US does not have a spending problem. But do drunks.ever realize ths drinking problem ?

Werbung:
CA is charging sales tax on internet sales. I think they started it last year.

Technically you are already supposed to pay tax on all your internet purchases. That aside, its not surprising Amazon supports it. They are expanding into basically every state with a physical location and this is a way to hurt their competition.

Its the same reason Costco always brings up the minimum wage issue. It gives them good PR, and makes Wal-Mart look bad -- but ignores that the two are operating on vastly different margins. If Costco can force Wal-Mart to have to pay higher salaries, the only result is Wal-Mart gets hurt -- which is good for Costco.

Its the same reason Costco always brings up the minimum wage issue. It gives them good PR, and makes Wal-Mart look bad -- but ignores that the two are operating on vastly different margins. If Costco can force Wal-Mart to have to pay higher salaries, the only result is Wal-Mart gets hurt -- which is good for Costco.

I thought Walmart was on board with this. How does collecting sales tax have any affect on salaries or profit margins? It's a bookkeeping/computer function.

I thought Walmart was on board with this. How does collecting sales tax have any affect on salaries or profit margins? It's a bookkeeping/computer function.

lets see, book keepers and computers cost money which impacts cost of good sold.
walmart has to keep up with and account for 6000+ taxing jurisdictions each with their own requirements.

if the cost is the same whats the incentive for consumers. to pony up for.shipping ? infrastructure costs wasted if sales go down.
any time you alter the status quo with more regulation it hurts the bottom line and the stock answer is to pass it on to the comsumer.

BOHICA

lets see, book keepers and computers cost money which impacts cost of good sold.
walmart has to keep up with and account for 6000+ taxing jurisdictions each with their own requirements.

if the cost is the same whats the incentive for consumers. to pony up for.shipping ? infrastructure costs wasted if sales go down.
any time you alter the status quo with more regulation it hurts the bottom line and the stock answer is to pass it on to the comsumer.

BOHICA

My understanding is that the sales taxes only apply to a sale if you have a store or distribution center in the state where you make the point of sale. Businesses are already set up for collecting state and local taxes for their state, as are National companies. On-line sales also have shipping added because of the convenience of not having to drive to the store to buy it. Also, some things are only going to be found on line.

But it doesn't make sense if a store has both on-line and in store merchandise and only charges sales tax on the in store products. Also, in quantity, a lot of on line products are sold as "wholesale" in which case there is no sales tax regardless of where it's purchased from or shipped to.

Well its not Wal-Mart really, that was just to draw a comparison as to why Amazon is on board. Wal-Mart already basically has a presence everywhere and already has to collect sales tax on their internet sales.

The bill exempts those who make less than a million in sales, but I think it will still cause a massive headache (without some form of accompanying simplification) for the smaller end businesses. And it all still would involve the State's actually putting the law into force, but with the revenue crunch, I imagine they will rush to do so.

Werbung:
Back