Is "Born in the USA" anti American?

PLC1

Staff member
Glenn Beck says it is.

Did you know that Born in the USA, Bruce Springsteen's hit 1984 song about a Vietnam veteran's difficult return home, is also "anti-American"? You would if you listened to Glenn Beck's radio show.

Here are the lyrics. You decide.

I got in a little hometown jam
And so they put a rifle in my hands
Sent me off to Vietnam
To go and kill the yellow man

[chorus]

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
I go down to see the V.A. man
He said "Son don't you understand"

[chorus]

I had a buddy at Khe Sahn
Fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone
He had a little girl in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years down the road
Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

Werbung:
The only part I find objectionable is the first verse:

I got in a little hometown jam
And so they put a rifle in my hands
Sent me off to Vietnam
To go and kill the yellow man

So, he was forced into the military by a local judge (in lieu of going to jail) just to kill Asians. That's certainly BS. The US objective in Vietnam was to contain communism, not export racism. You can certainly debate the policies that were implemented to achieve this goal, or even the necessity of containing communism in general, but to equate US policy in Vietnam to just furthering some "whitey" goal to kill non-whites is complete BS.

So, he was forced into the military by a local judge (in lieu of going to jail) just to kill Asians. That's certainly BS. The US objective in Vietnam was to contain communism, not export racism.
B.S. (from an obviously "conservative"-historian. :rolleyes: )

Ya' gotta rely on those...who actually had SKIN, IN THE GAME...rather than some loudmouth CHICKENHAWK, for your History!!!!

"Ho Chi Minh asked the Americans to honor their commitment to independence, citing the Atlantic Charter and the U.N. Charter on self-determination. However, by the end of the war, the U.S. government had begun to redirect its foreign policy from the wartime goal of the liberation of all occupied countries and colonies to the postwar anti-communist crusade, which became the Cold War. In France, where communists had led the resistance to the Nazi occupation, American policy supported General Charles de Gaulle and his anti-communist "Free French." De Gaulle aimed to restore the glory of France, which meant the return of all former French colonies. U.S. relations with the Vietnamese turned sour. President Truman refused to answer letters or cables from Ho. Instead, the U.S. began to ship military aid to the French forces in Indochina."

We SCREWED the Vietnamese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

Glenn Beck says it is.

I think you are not understanding what Glenn Beck meant.

He thought it was strange that before patriotic events the song would be played as a celebration of being American and that is not what the song is about.

People know the line Born in the USA ..... but they dont pay attention to the rest. If you listen to the words its not really the sort of song you would play as a speaker is coming out or to promote and celebrate the USA.

Its a depressing song if you read the lyrics but its a catchy tune if you just sing Born in the USA.....

I think his point was pay more attention to the lyrics and dont just assume.

It's just another attack on Glenn Beck... These people cannot stand that people who disagree with the Radical Progressive agenda can be so popular, so they circle the Leftist wagons and try to destroy anyone critical of their lunacy.

Notice these douchebags ignore all the historical facts that Beck has brought to light exposing the Progressive movement for the hate machine that it is...

Tangent... I think I'll listen to NIN Pretty Hate Machine now... Its a really good album. However, the most fitting song for our Progressive future would be Happiness in Slavery, from their BROKEN album:

Yeah....the Vietnamese merely needed to learn to embrace Colonialism....much like our original-residents learned to accept living' on The Res!!!!

So you're saying the Democratic Presidents Truman, Kennedy and Johnson were simply trying to colonize Vietnam, and really weren't implementing the Truman Doctrine to contain communism? Dude, that's a better cover story than the current "health care" scam. I thought Democrat's putting forward a grand ideology that was really just a power grab for total domination and control was a recent development. I didn't realize it went back to WWII. And here I thought Obama was being innovative. He's just a copy-cat.

So you're saying the Democratic Presidents Truman, Kennedy and Johnson were simply trying to colonize Vietnam....
Yeah....right....that's what that entire-quote suggested....that the French-colonization efforts weren't quite workin'-out....even though they'd only been there (about) 100 years....

:rolleyes:

Maybe moving-pictures work, better, for you......

He thought it was strange that before patriotic events the song would be played as a celebration of being American and that is not what the song is about.

People know the line Born in the USA ..... but they dont pay attention to the rest. If you listen to the words its not really the sort of song you would play as a speaker is coming out or to promote and celebrate the USA.

Its a depressing song if you read the lyrics but its a catchy tune if you just sing Born in the USA.....

I think his point was pay more attention to the lyrics and dont just assume.

It's just another attack on Glenn Beck... These people cannot stand that people who disagree with the Radical Progressive agenda can be so popular, so they circle the Leftist wagons and try to destroy anyone critical of their lunacy.

Notice these douchebags ignore all the historical facts that Beck has brought to light exposing the Progressive movement for the hate machine that it is...

Tangent... I think I'll listen to NIN Pretty Hate Machine now... Its a really good album. However, the most fitting song for our Progressive future would be Happiness in Slavery, from their BROKEN album:

Does Beck tell you two what to eat and when to go to bed too?

The only part I find objectionable is the first verse:

So, he was forced into the military by a local judge (in lieu of going to jail) just to kill Asians. That's certainly BS. The US objective in Vietnam was to contain communism, not export racism. You can certainly debate the policies that were implemented to achieve this goal, or even the necessity of containing communism in general, but to equate US policy in Vietnam to just furthering some "whitey" goal to kill non-whites is complete BS.

The Domino Theory was discredited long ago.

Here we are in Vietnam "helping" the Vietnamese to be safe from communism:

A little napalm:

napalm-s.jpg

How about some My Lai?

my_lai_massacre_375.jpg

Glenn Beck says it is.

When it comes to $ale$-and-marketing, Madison Avenue knows they're selling to a History-challenged post-'Nam generation!!!

"Lyrics You Don't Hear: "Some folks are born made to wave the flag / Ooh, they're red, white and blue" -- fair enough. But why did they cut "And when the band plays 'Hail to the Chief' / They point the cannon right at you," along with all the stuff about privileged people not doing the fighting in our wars? Not relevant to today?"

Does Beck tell you two what to eat and when to go to bed too?

Of course not Popeye.

I highly doubt that PLC1 was watching Glenn Beck when he talked about the song, I was watching it. He probably took some lib rags writings on it and made a thread. Of course the lib rags take everything Beck says and twists it because they hate Beck and PLC1 fell for it.

But no, Beck doesnt tell anyone to do anything except for read and pay attention to what is going on around us and of course double check what beck himself was saying.

Werbung:
Of course not Popeye.

I highly doubt that PLC1 was watching Glenn Beck when he talked about the song, I was watching it. He probably took some lib rags writings on it and made a thread. Of course the lib rags take everything Beck says and twists it because they hate Beck and PLC1 fell for it.

But no, Beck doesnt tell anyone to do anything except for read and pay attention to what is going on around us and of course double check what beck himself was saying.
....And, DON'T forget he's a delusional, burnt-out alcoholic.....

Back