Is Hypersensitivity As Racially Divisive As Lack of Sensitivity?

GBFan

Washington (CNN) -- Attorney General Eric Holder says he sees "racial animus" in strident Republican opposition to some Obama administration policies. Some media conservatives say he's playing racial politics.

Holder on Sunday told ABC's "This Week" that "there's a certain level of vehemence, it seems to me, that's directed at me (and) directed at the President. ... There's a certain racial component to this for some people."

Holder said he also stood by comments from a 2009 speech in which he said America is a "nation of cowards" on race and sees a crop of new voter identification laws, many of them passed by GOP-controlled state legislatures, as a way to disenfranchise minority voters.

Some conservative figures accused Holder and the White House of "playing to the fears and anxieties of minorities in hopes of scaring them to the polls in November," as Wall Street Journal opinion writer Jason L. Riley wrote in an editorial for the paper on Monday.

"The willingness of the Obama administration to stoke racial divisions for political gain is astounding," Riley wrote adding that the voter identification laws are intended to ensure "ballot integrity" and that there's no proof they suppress minority votes.

Former Illinois Republican congressman turned conservative radio host Joe Walsh Tweeted: "Simple question for Eric Holder and all others who use race to protect Obama: Is it possible to oppose Obama and not be a racist?"

The Washington Times, a conservative newspaper, said Holder had "thrown down the race card."

I quoted this article, not to argue endlessly about whether the President is being subjected to blatant racism, but rather to offer an example of what I perceive to be the 'hypersensitive racism'.

Clearly, I detest both Holder and Obama - but it has nothing to do with race. I consider them to be incompetent, ineffective, inept, and a clear danger to America.

BUT - none of that has to do with the color of their skin. I believe that Holder (in particular), and Obama (via proxy) are both overly sensitive about their race. If I disagree with them, then I MUST be racist because, after all, they are black and I'm not.

Falling back on perceived racism enables them to invalidate the naysayers without considering the merits of their disagreement. It becomes a convenient foil.

So - are they racially hypersensitive or do we conservatives lack racial sensitivity? Do they truly believe that, or are they using the 'race card' to deflect the crux of the disagreement?

I know, I know - somebody is going to drag out instances of racial hatred - claim they are the standard bearers of the Tea Party - but rational people know those to be aberrations, rather than the norm. PLEASE don't waste our time ...

Werbung:
Im sure Holder would prefer blaming his gross abuse if office on race. But even if some object to his melanin content it dies not address his job petformance.

Back