IS THIS--The "Summer of Recovery", I'm Still Waiting

Werbung:
Can you imagine the I-phone, "I got a degree now I want a $100,000 job" crowd with a Depression where things go really, really ugly and they had to suffer as some of us can remember? And maybe the folks could/would no longer foot the bill for everything.
We have spoiled them beyond imagining. I did/do it as well.

The 1950's were much more grim than today--and this kind of scenario is coming. I think it is inevitable, given the fiat currency and the world economic disarray now and in the near future.

Hell--I can remember when having a TV was a big deal and having two cars was the lap of luxury.
And by car--I mean a vehicle that "could get you there".
But then--I can remember when there were only 3 TV stations and they ran from 4pm to 11pm. o_O

Can you imagine the I-phone, "I got a degree now I want a $100,000 job" crowd with a Depression where things go really, really ugly and they had to suffer as some of us can remember? And maybe the folks could/would no longer foot the bill for everything.
We have spoiled them beyond imagining. I did/do it as well.

The 1950's were much more grim than today--and this kind of scenario is coming. I think it is inevitable, given the fiat currency and the world economic disarray now and in the near future.

Hell--I can remember when having a TV was a big deal and having two cars was the lap of luxury.
And by car--I mean a vehicle that "could get you there".
But then--I can remember when there were only 3 TV stations and they ran from 4pm to 11pm. o_O

I remember the euphoria when we got a window unit air conditioner for downstairs. and getting a Coca-Cola was a very rare treat.

Is there really such a thing as Hanover tomatoes? Never heard of them, so I did a seed search and came up blank.

You live long enough--you see everything.
I have learned in my old age to revere and listen to anyone older when I have the opportunity--they just have to know more.
But--those older than me are mostly senile or dead!
Experience is the only arbiter that is reliable.
I suspect that is why so many young people today are simply revolting.

I do recall when getting a Coke was a special time--and they were crisp and loaded with real sugar and hit the spot on a hot day.
We never guzzled them like kids do now.
I always liked RC Cola as well. A Southern thing. And the occasional Chocolate Soldier. Zero candy bars.

Is there really such a thing as Hanover tomatoes? Never heard of them, so I did a seed search and came up blank.

the Hanover refers to a county near Richmond not a variety (much as Vidalia onions are a matter of region). The lore is that its really only parts of Hanover that qualify with the proper amount of red clay. But they are beloved around here.

the Hanover refers to a county near Richmond not a variety (much as Vidalia onions are a matter of region). The lore is that its really only parts of Hanover that qualify with the proper amount of red clay. But they are beloved around here.

Wonder if they go well on a ham sandwich made with a Smithfield ham? ;)

Wonder if they go well on a ham sandwich made with a Smithfield ham? ;)

Yes I'm told they do. Not really a raw tomato guy but they're good in application. Although my cowboy buddy tells me they cant hold a candle to Mexican ones. Their appeal comes in part from their sort of ugly appearance. They sort of burst with flavor and so have these brown splits around the stem. A face only a local can love I guess. I looked for a picture but they all used "pretty" ones.

I love fresh tomatoes out of the garden. My grandmother grew beefsteaks that when sliced, the slices were the size of a dinner plate. Last year I put up several quarts of spaghetti sauce made with our garden tomatoes and herbs. I recently ran out, just in time for a new harvest. We also make a lot of fresh salsa during the summer.

Yes I'm told they do. Not really a raw tomato guy but they're good in application. Although my cowboy buddy tells me they cant hold a candle to Mexican ones. Their appeal comes in part from their sort of ugly appearance. They sort of burst with flavor and so have these brown splits around the stem. A face only a local can love I guess. I looked for a picture but they all used "pretty" ones.

Many sorts of tomatoes are wonderful--yellow ones if you have an acid problem in the stomach.

I like them in a bowl, chilled, cut-up and mixed with an inordinate amount of Hellmann's Mayonnaise.
Topped with a a stupid amount of freshly-ground black pepper from an Olde Thompson Pepper Mill (the Cadillac of pepper mills).
I am always a no-salt person. Never use it on anything. Just tastes awful.

Werbung:
Are you somehow implying with the beginning text of this post that Greece more than likely about to make an exit from the eurozone thus causing pause among all banks everywhere, is somehow President Obama's fault?

Back