Is Trump a real contender

Drone

Is Donald Trump a real contender or is he just in the race to make someone else look good?

My American aunt (I'm British) seems to think so.

With the guys views and what he says, I'm thinking the same.

Are there any obvious points that a Brit might have missed that proves or debunks our opinion?

Werbung:
Is Donald Trump a real contender or is he just in the race to make someone else look good?

My American aunt (I'm British) seems to think so.

With the guys views and what he says, I'm thinking the same.

Are there any obvious points that a Brit might have missed that proves or debunks our opinion?
If the goal were making someone else look good it's failing badly.

Is he for real ? Yes.

Is he, for lack of a better term, different than typical politicians ? Without a doubt.

But us that bad ? How messed up are things now with ordinary pols running the show all these years ? Not so good. In fact things are horribly bad.

Is it so far fetched to think that perhaps a whole new way of looking at things just might be a good thing ?

We're screwed now, he can't make it worse.

If the goal were making someone else look good it's failing badly.

Is he for real ? Yes.

Is he, for lack of a better term, different than typical politicians ? Without a doubt.

But us that bad ? How messed up are things now with ordinary pols running the show all these years ? Not so good. In fact things are horribly bad.

Is it so far fetched to think that perhaps a whole new way of looking at things just might be a good thing ?

We're screwed now, he can't make it worse.

I really do appreciate the reply and am happy to see a different view on it :)

From all the of things he's touched on in his speeches, what do you think are the key areas that make him a worthwhile contender?

I'm also from the UK and so I'm also kind of intrigued by why Trump is doing so well in the polls. In the last election over here, we had Nigel Farage and the UKIP party causing quite a stir, and he also was coming out with a lot of what people wanted to hear.

UKIP did get more votes than what they'd ever managed before, but even that didn't get them 1 seat in parliment as on the day, people might have liked and agreed with what Farage said but they decided that he couldn't back it up if he did get into power.

Could Trump have that same issue? He might have a lot of support at the moment, but when it comes to the crunch, are people going to have the balls to actually back him when it counts?

I'm also from the UK and so I'm also kind of intrigued by why Trump is doing so well in the polls. In the last election over here, we had Nigel Farage and the UKIP party causing quite a stir, and he also was coming out with a lot of what people wanted to hear.

UKIP did get more votes than what they'd ever managed before, but even that didn't get them 1 seat in parliment as on the day, people might have liked and agreed with what Farage said but they decided that he couldn't back it up if he did get into power.

Could Trump have that same issue? He might have a lot of support at the moment, but when it comes to the crunch, are people going to have the balls to actually back him when it counts?

The Farage and Trump comparison is so good.
Don't you think it's strange though how there was no suggestion that Farage was a fake plant for the oppositions.

I wonder if media spin makes them seem more successful than they are, but in reality it is just empty news making material.

Again, you've touched on a great point

Even if he were a "plant," which I don't think he is, how could he make anyone else look good? His opponents would need a lot more help than that.

I don't think there is any media spin to make Trump look successful. I think he's garnered some popularity despite the media spin designed make him look bad.

I really do appreciate the reply and am happy to see a different view on it :)

From all the of things he's touched on in his speeches, what do you think are the key areas that make him a worthwhile contender?

His central core platform is revive the economy. Do that and jobs reappear, do that and revenue rises, do that and the national mood improves.

Now to do that is not the result of a single action and he's touched upon several elements but most wont really comprehend the actions/reactions so no point in getting specific. A number of things he talks about are just intended to project American strength and thats key. Do I expect he will follow through on every threat hes mentioned ? No. I expect him to negotiate from a position of strength and if you begin by asking for more than you expect you can be seen as fair and gracious and wind up with what you really wanted and maybe a bit better.

Hes right, we've made idiotic deals and made them worse by not bothering to see them adhered to. And thats not just Bo but its been woeful these last 7+ years.

I'm wanting to see a real change in the status quo. The status quo is killing us.

given his opponent's huge unfavorables and following an administration that has poisoned the brand, yes its quite possible. Dont forget we are a two party system here, big difference relative to jolly olde.

I think that Trump is as successful as he is, is due to the fact what he's saying is making people feel good about being American again, and that patriotism as took a beating over the last few years I think.

You mentioned reviving the economy, and that in itself will get Americans sat up and listening for a start. Lower unemployment, better opportunities for businesses, better wages, they're all going to be things that people support. Sprinkle over the top of that kicking out terrorist, and sending the Mexicans back to Mexico and you have a winning campaign it seems.

The Farage and Trump comparison is so good.
Don't you think it's strange though how there was no suggestion that Farage was a fake plant for the oppositions.

I wonder if media spin makes them seem more successful than they are, but in reality it is just empty news making material.

Again, you've touched on a great point

I compare the two because Farage did pretty much what I think Trump is doing now to a certain extent, as in he said things that people wanted to hear.

Farage also promised a better economy by closing the borders, sending back illegal immigrants and not letting them stay and work until the appeal was over. You have to have paid in to the system before you could take out, so welfare and benefits would be stopped if you wasn't British. He wanted Britain out of the EU, to be a soverign state and with the money he'd save he'd invest that into reviving British industries.

People thought for a few months, I'd actually be proud to be British again we'd actually be able to fly a St. Georges cross above our government buildings without being called racist.

Trump is pretty much trying to do the same. Making Americans proud to be American again, and people are liking that feeling.

Very good points about negotiating from a point of strength and going in for more than what you're after. I'd never make a good sales person!

If it is a two party system, how come there are a few contenders for becoming president? Are some from the same party and just going against each other? Surely that would fragment a party not having a decided dedicated lead?

I think that Trump is as successful as he is, is due to the fact what he's saying is making people feel good about being American again, and that patriotism as took a beating over the last few years I think.

You mentioned reviving the economy, and that in itself will get Americans sat up and listening for a start. Lower unemployment, better opportunities for businesses, better wages, they're all going to be things that people support. Sprinkle over the top of that kicking out terrorist, and sending the Mexicans back to Mexico and you have a winning campaign it seems.
It's all the mushy middle wants for christmas

Very good points about negotiating from a point of strength and going in for more than what you're after. I'd never make a good sales person!

If it is a two party system, how come there are a few contenders for becoming president? Are some from the same party and just going against each other? Surely that would fragment a party not having a decided dedicated lead?
It's very common to have several party members running against one another. It's how we address not having many parties. Coalitions get built within the one party. The typical exception is for a sitting president running for reelection. They typically have no one else running against them.

So a party doesn't have set policies, the candidates do and thus try to rally the people and party behind them?
So the candidate decides if they're running as a Republican or Democrat based on current party members and who they think will back them?

I think I really have to do some reading up on this system

Werbung:
So a party doesn't have set policies, the candidates do and thus try to rally the people and party behind them?
So the candidate decides if they're running as a Republican or Democrat based on current party members and who they think will back them?

I think I really have to do some reading up on this system
Generally speaking a republican stays a republican. But republicans are not monolithic, they share similar views and can vary in degree. This one may be more interested in foreign policy matters, that one may not care about morals issues. This one is a strict constitutionalist and that one more concerned with debt. And so the citizens will weigh what their concerns more closely align with which pol.

Back