Is your freedom cheap?

Dr.Who

http://www.libertyjuice.com/2010/09/30/regulating-the-choice-of-freedom/

"Several months ago I wrote an article about the FDA’s move to regulate salt content in food in order to wean Americans from consuming unhealthy amounts of the substance. My overall point was clear – the FDA has no constitutional authority to regulate food choices despite their seemingly kindhearted attempt to help Americans. However, I received mixed feedback from that article. Some people surprisingly did not mind Big Brother stepping in and regulating their choices. To them, this was all much ado about nothing. I pose this question to that response: Is your freedom that cheap?

Our Founding Fathers knew all too well what the end result is of out of control government taxation and regulation. They knew it to be a slippery slope, which always ends in tyranny and oppression. They experienced that progression firsthand from Great Britain during the years running up to the American Revolution. We seem to be learning the same lesson now as our government, local, state, and federal are increasingly becoming nanny-states, marching down the same worn out path that tyrannical governments of the past have taken.

Food is just one front in the assault on our liberties, but the front is much bigger than just salt. Glenn Beck recently detailed numerous regulations that governments across the country are considering or have already implemented that even if based on good intentions, encroach on your God given inalienable rights. Here are a few examples:

Massachusetts: Boston considering limiting or banning sodas and other drinks in vending machines and snack bars to combat obesity.

California: Banned trans-fat cooking oil. San Francisco mayor banned Coke, Pepsi, and Fanta Orange from vending machines on city property by executive order. San Francisco is also considering forbidding restaurants from offering toys with children’s meals that do not meet national health standards.

Oregon: Health officials shut down a 7 year old girl’s lemonade stand. Tax credits have been proposed for breastfeeding.

Florida: City considering a ban on hiring tobacco users.

Texas: Elementary student given one week of detention for possession of a Jolly Rancher.

The complete list is available on Fox News, which includes other non-food related nanny-state regulations such as California’s restrictions on inefficient big screen TVs and the Labor Department’s crackdown on unpaid internships. This should show you the extent the government is willing to go in order to control the public, but this list does not even put a dent in the amount of ridiculous regulations that could be drummed up if someone had the time and resources to compile them all. The IRS tax code alone is over 70000 pages, and that is before the health care bill. There is no telling how long a complete list of nanny-state regulations would be!

This problem is becoming increasingly worse. More regulations that infringe on our liberties are continually being considered. Things that Americans once would have never imagined to be in the grip of government control are now being pulled from us and shoved under the government’s power rug. Despite many regulations being done under the guise of good intensions, the progressive seizure of our liberties is about primarily about power. The most despicable fascists the world has witnessed used public health initiatives and other excuses to usurp power and control over their people.

The only thing that stands in the way of that end result of an unchecked out of control government is the American people. We are the key to the freedoms we possess. The Founders could not have made that clearer when they printed “We The People” in the Constitution with large, bold letters before continuing the preamble with “of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

Ultimately, it is up to us to determine if want to our government to continue its power grab through nanny-state regulations like the ones listed above. We can choose to ignore the warning signs that are right in front of our eyes until the choice for an alternative is taken away permanently, or we peacefully push back hard and fast by all legal means necessary until the progressive controls in government are dismantled and disposed of, restoring the liberty in America as it was intended. But again, the choice is ours!"

Werbung:
Thanks to the Collectivist mentality of "We're all in this together" effectively chaining your wallet to my bad habits and vice versa, a majority of the voting population feels it's absolutely necessary for Big Brother to step in and reduce, or eliminate, the option of engaging in unhealthy activities.

And you're right, it doesn't end with food. Even our economic freedoms are threatened by people who seek to reduce, or eliminate, our options in the marketplace in order to redirect our economic behavior for the "common good" at the expense of the individual.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a country on earth with real freedom under a government whose role was strictly limited to protecting the individual rights of it's citizens? Since there are no Free nations on earth, I'm forced to settle with the "freest"* nation on earth.

*Subject to change

Thanks to the Collectivist mentality of "We're all in this together" effectively chaining your wallet to my bad habits and vice versa, a majority of the voting population feels it's absolutely necessary for Big Brother to step in and reduce, or eliminate, the option of engaging in unhealthy activities.

So those who advocate protectionist policies should realize that if a behavior were responsible for 50% of all AIDS cases and AIDS were so expensive to treat that it accounted for more than 1% of the nations GDP it would make sense to regulate that behavior? I personaly am not in favor of regulating barebacking but it would be the logical outgrowth of the nanny state.

And you're right, it doesn't end with food. Even our economic freedoms are threatened by people who seek to reduce, or eliminate, our options in the marketplace in order to redirect our economic behavior for the "common good" at the expense of the individual.
Additionally, it wouild seem that too ofoten these regulations created for the common good are written for congressmen by lobbyists who just happen to represent competing aspects of the marketplace. In other words, behind every law against high fructose corn syrup there is a producer of suger.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a country on earth with real freedom under a government whose role was strictly limited to protecting the individual rights of it's citizens? Since there are no Free nations on earth, I'm forced to settle with the "freest"* nation on earth.

*Subject to change

Yes, wouldnt it be nice. And if there were such a nation it could have that principle enshrined in its constution so the lawmakers did not violate it.

Werbung:
The I.R.S makes it cheap!!
the role of the IRS is to take your money by force - so yes it does.

When the IRS does its job well it earns the title "necessary evil". When it does its job poorly it is just evil.

If we had not monkeyed with the constitution income tax would still not be a reality and there would be no IRS.

Back