Major Conservatives starting to turn on McCain

top gun

Lobbyists First: McCain Campaign Manager Got $2 Million for Deregulation of Financial Industry Where McCain and Republicans really stand on regulation/deregulation of the financial markets →

Conservative Icon George Will Continues Attack on McCain
September 23, 2008

Under the pressure of the financial crisis, one presidential candidate is behaving like a flustered rookie playing in a league too high… It is arguable that McCain, because of his boiling moralism and bottomless reservoir of certitudes, is not suited to the presidency.
– George Will, “McCain Loses His Head” Washington Post, 9/23/08

John McCain showed his personality this week and made some of us fearful.
– George Will On ABC’s This Week, 9/21/08
George Will has joined the increasing cavalcade of conservative characters who are raising alarms about the erratic and panicky behavior of John McCain. He sounded the alarm on his Sunday talk show and continued it in his column.

Will is worried about the thinking – or lack thereof – of John McCain. Will is concerned that McCain continually sees the world divided into two types, those who agree with him wholeheartedly and the rest of us, who are inevitably considered “corrupt” or “betray the public’s trust,” or some other like term.

Excerpts of Will’s column below:

+++++++++

McCain Loses His Head
By George F. Will September 23, 2008

“The queen had only one way of settling all difficulties, great or small. ‘Off with his head!’ she said without even looking around.”
– “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”

Under the pressure of the financial crisis, one presidential candidate is behaving like a flustered rookie playing in a league too high. It is not Barack Obama.

Channeling his inner Queen of Hearts, John McCain furiously, and apparently without even looking around at facts, said Chris Cox, chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, should be decapitated. This childish reflex provoked the Wall Street Journal to editorialize that “McCain untethered” — disconnected from knowledge and principle — had made a “false and deeply unfair” attack on Cox that was “unpresidential.”..

Conservatives who insist that electing McCain is crucial usually start, and increasingly end, by saying he would make excellent judicial selections.

But the more one sees of his impulsive, intensely personal reactions to people and events, the less confidence one has that he would select judges by calm reflection and clear principles, having neither patience nor aptitude for either.

It is arguable that, because of his inexperience, Obama is not ready for the presidency. It is arguable that McCain, because of his boiling moralism and bottomless reservoir of certitudes, is not suited to the presidency. Unreadiness can be corrected, although perhaps at great cost, by experience.

Can a dismaying temperament be fixed?

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!:D

Werbung:
would this be anything like the numbers of dems who will not support Obama?

I think thats great if someone is not a party liner. I respect dems who wont support obama and I respect republicans who will not support McCain.

doing what ever your party says is stupid.

I think thats great if someone is not a party liner. I respect dems who wont support obama and I respect republicans who will not support McCain.

Absolutely correct.

Of course, Republican partisans will be quick to point out Democrats who don't support "their" candidate, while Democrat partisans will do the same for Republicans who don't support "theirs".

The bottom line to all of this is that there is no conservative running for the office of president. There is a Democrat from the party that admits to being pro big government, and a Republican from the party of "small government" that has a track record of achieving more growth in government than the party of big government.

And, it's not a football game, folks. Go ahead and root for your team, so long as they are on the gridiron and it doesn't really matter who wins. Politics affects us all.

Absolutely correct.

Of course, Republican partisans will be quick to point out Democrats who don't support "their" candidate, while Democrat partisans will do the same for Republicans who don't support "theirs".

The bottom line to all of this is that there is no conservative running for the office of president. There is a Democrat from the party that admits to being pro big government, and a Republican from the party of "small government" that has a track record of achieving more growth in government than the party of big government.

And, it's not a football game, folks. Go ahead and root for your team, so long as they are on the gridiron and it doesn't really matter who wins. Politics affects us all.

Not exactly true. All the "big government" growth he 'achieved', he did so with democrats. Logically it's impossible for someone to grow government more than a party that supports all government growth.

I just think someone of this magnitude holding some of the highest Conservative credentials basically saying McCain just isn't the guy to be President is note worthy. He's honest enough to point out McCain's mental... or I think he called it emotional instability.

I'm glad he came forward. It was the right thing to do. When the other side says it MaCainiacs just yell it's all a partisan attack. This certainly isn't... it's just the truth the American people need to hear.

Lobbyists First: McCain Campaign Manager Got $2 Million for Deregulation of Financial Industry Where McCain and Republicans really stand on regulation/deregulation of the financial markets →

Conservative Icon George Will Continues Attack on McCain
September 23, 2008

Under the pressure of the financial crisis, one presidential candidate is behaving like a flustered rookie playing in a league too high… It is arguable that McCain, because of his boiling moralism and bottomless reservoir of certitudes, is not suited to the presidency.
– George Will, “McCain Loses His Head” Washington Post, 9/23/08

John McCain showed his personality this week and made some of us fearful.
– George Will On ABC’s This Week, 9/21/08
George Will has joined the increasing cavalcade of conservative characters who are raising alarms about the erratic and panicky behavior of John McCain. He sounded the alarm on his Sunday talk show and continued it in his column.

Will is worried about the thinking – or lack thereof – of John McCain. Will is concerned that McCain continually sees the world divided into two types, those who agree with him wholeheartedly and the rest of us, who are inevitably considered “corrupt” or “betray the public’s trust,” or some other like term.

Excerpts of Will’s column below:

+++++++++

McCain Loses His Head
By George F. Will September 23, 2008

“The queen had only one way of settling all difficulties, great or small. ‘Off with his head!’ she said without even looking around.”
– “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”

Under the pressure of the financial crisis, one presidential candidate is behaving like a flustered rookie playing in a league too high. It is not Barack Obama.

Channeling his inner Queen of Hearts, John McCain furiously, and apparently without even looking around at facts, said Chris Cox, chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, should be decapitated. This childish reflex provoked the Wall Street Journal to editorialize that “McCain untethered” — disconnected from knowledge and principle — had made a “false and deeply unfair” attack on Cox that was “unpresidential.”..

Conservatives who insist that electing McCain is crucial usually start, and increasingly end, by saying he would make excellent judicial selections.

But the more one sees of his impulsive, intensely personal reactions to people and events, the less confidence one has that he would select judges by calm reflection and clear principles, having neither patience nor aptitude for either.

It is arguable that, because of his inexperience, Obama is not ready for the presidency. It is arguable that McCain, because of his boiling moralism and bottomless reservoir of certitudes, is not suited to the presidency. Unreadiness can be corrected, although perhaps at great cost, by experience.

Can a dismaying temperament be fixed?

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!:D

Oh, wow. So glad you've discovered something to get excited about, especially since there is absolutely nothing new in this. George Will is one of several prominent Conservatives who have been critical about different aspects of McCain.

While he IS highly respected in Conservative circles, his critiques often come from a perspective that is less than common among Conservatives, at least to the same degree.

Whether he is fully agreed with by the majority of Conservatives or not, his views are typically thought-provoking and stated in full intellectual honesty.

He may be critical of certain aspects about McCain, you ought to go a bit further, since you obviously respect what he has to say, and see what he has to say about Obama.

This is one more aspect of what I love so much about Conservatism in general, and in Republicans in large part. We are able to honestly criticize aspects and positions of individuals, and not delude ourselves into believing we must and shall have a lock-step, mindless unity.

Reading further into the George Will column cited in original post:

1) The "should be decapitated" line but the link takes you to a
which doesn't use that phrase. The actual central line is ' "The Chairman of the SEC serves at the appointment of the president and in my view has betrayed the public's trust," McCain told a rally in the electoral battleground state of Iowa. "If I were president today, I would fire him." '

At this juncture, I continue to respect George Will's opinion, but must wonder if he is developing his own form of tilting at windmills. However, he seems to be impartial in his deep, cutting criticisms.

Not exactly true. All the "big government" growth he 'achieved', he did so with democrats. Logically it's impossible for someone to grow government more than a party that supports all government growth.

If "he" means George Bush, most of the government growth took place with a Republican Congress and a Republican in the White House.

Of course, the Congress has as much or more to do with the out of control growth of government as the president does. It doesn't seem to matter, however, whether the party that claims to be for limited government is in power or not, the out of control growth continues.

If the Republican party is really conservative, why didn't they do something about the size and power of the government when they had the chance? I contend that it is because they are as much of a statist party as the Democrats are.

I just think someone of this magnitude holding some of the highest Conservative credentials basically saying McCain just isn't the guy to be President is note worthy. He's honest enough to point out McCain's mental... or I think he called it emotional instability.

I'm glad he came forward. It was the right thing to do. When the other side says it MaCainiacs just yell it's all a partisan attack. This certainly isn't... it's just the truth the American people need to hear.

He is a conservative, there is no reason for him to like the party pick. Did he endorse Obama? Now that might be news :)

What do you make of those dems who say they will not vote for Obama because they dont trust him or they do not think he is qualified?

You get pretty mean to calderman (spelling) and silouette because they are not party liners. I respect that they dont just allow themselves to be drug by the nose. I would say that even if it were someone other than Obama they were not wanting to vote for.

Werbung:
mcsame was never conserviative
nor was w for that matter

liberials did not do this
conservatives sold out to w in 2000

w destroied conservatism

to the point that juan mcsame
can actually win the nomination of the consertive party

I CAN'T BELIEVE CONSERVATIVES
HAVE FUKED THEMSELFS
SO BADLY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA