McCain concedes Michigan

Popeye

Michigan is a state that the Republicans had such high hopes for but recent polls show Obama up by double digits there...hence the decision to shift resources elsewhere. Obviously this is not a good sign for the McCain campaign.

John McCain is pulling the plug on Michigan, a severe blow to his strategy for taking the White House.

Campaign officials confirmed the decision Thursday to pull TV ads and people out of Michigan, as they scramble to shift resources to states like Ohio, Florida and Wisconsin.

It came the same day Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama spoke to large rallies in Grand Rapids and Lansing.

"It's not good news," said Charles Yob, former GOP National Committeeman and co-chair of McCain's Michigan campaign.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/news/index.ssf/2008/10/campaign_officials_confirm_joh.html

Werbung:
Michigan is a state for losers. Take Detroit - please. :D They're living in the past - they think Obama is going to magically save their anachronistic smokestack industries. With an Obama administration's new trade restrictionism alone, they would be doomed. McCain was correct with his promised policy of retraining such workers for 21st century jobs. But if Obama gets elected, they'll get what they deserve - and it won't be any better than living on welfare.

Michigan is a state for losers. Take Detroit - please. :D They're living in the past - they think Obama is going to magically save their anachronistic smokestack industries. With an Obama administration's new trade restrictionism alone, they would be doomed. McCain was correct with his promised policy of retraining such workers for 21st century jobs. But if Obama gets elected, they'll get what they deserve - and it won't be any better than living on welfare.

Michigan is a state for losers??????? Loosing candidates that only wish they could have won it maybe.:)

But by all means keep talking if you're dead set on giving us quotes like that!

BECAUSE SENATOR OBAMA BELIEVES NO AMERICAN IN ANY STATE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IS A LOOSER! ALL AMERICANS ARE WINNERS!

By Michael D. Shear and Jon Cohen

Sen. John McCain has decided to pull his campaign out of Michigan, deeming it a lost cause after internal polls showed the Republican trailing badly in the economically hard-hit state, according to a senior Republican official.

McCain's television ads will be taken down and most of his staff will be redirected to other places, the officials said, and plans for direct mail in the state will be canceled. There will be no new offices opened as the campaign enters its final stage.

"The numbers have been bad in Michigan for some time," said the official, who declined to be identified because he is not authorized to speak for the campaign. He said some offices will stay open with reduced staff because the leases have already been signed: "We have infrastructure in the state that will stay there. We just won't ramp it up."

Public polls in the state show Obama with a clear edge, and with momentum on his side. The Illinois senator hit 51 percent in the new Seltzer and Co. poll for the Detroit Free Press, stretching 13 points ahead of McCain.

As in national polling, it appears to be Obama's edge on handling the economy that has propelled him to the top of the polls in Michigan. In the Free Press poll, Obama held a 15-point lead over McCain on fixing problems with the national economy, and he had an even bigger, 20-point edge on the question of which candidate is "more likely to fight
for the concerns most important to you and your family."

A McCain adviser dismissed the decision as irrelevant to the campaign's overall strategy to win.

"If we win FL, MO, NC, VA, IN and OH -- all states Republicans have won for decades -- that puts us at 260 electoral votes," the adviser said in an e-mail. "We need to find 10 electoral votes from CO, NV, NM, NH, MN, WI, and PA. Frankly, we have an easier map than Obama. He's on the defense."

But public polls paint a very different picture than the McCain adviser. In many of the battleground states where both campaigns are competing fiercely, Obama has opened up significant leads.

Multiple polls in recent days have shown Obama leading or very close in places like Virginia, North Carolina, Indiana and Minnesota. In some states, surveys show Obama breaking the 50-percent barrier and leading McCain by as many as 10 points.

Obama communications director Dan Pfeiffer said, "We will continue to fight for every vote in Michigan because middle class families there just cannot afford more of the same."

Take a good look at Michigan because thats what the entire united states is going to look like under an Obama/Biden administration - A failed state.

Take a good look at Michigan because thats what the entire united states is going to look like under an Obama/Biden administration - A failed state.

I'm in Michigan, lived here my whole life. Gov. Granholm promised in 2006 "Just give me 4 my years! You'll be blown away!" Uh.... yep. For her first term, her excuse was that she was left with problems from the previous Administration. (Aren't they all?) Then her excuse was that it was the wascally-wepublicans in the state Congress. Now it's Bush and his failed policies.

I don't blame McCain at all for choosing not to waste time and resources in Michigan. Those of us who recognize the truth understand that he is definitely the better answer for the country. The media in Michigan is nearly 100% sold out on Obama, and the same-old-same-old Democrat/Liberal promises that too many refuse to see as the lies that they are.

I agree more than I can say, GenSen. The Obama-mites should really give some objective review into what they are asking for. They should be analyzing in light of the law of unintended consequences. With Granholm in office here, if Obama and his socialized policies come into play, there is going to be a huge sucking sound from Michigan that Ross Perot never dreamed of.

And yep, if you want to see what is in store for the country under an Obama Administration and Democrat Congress, just take a good hard look at Michigan.

Will the last person out please turn out the lights?:(

Its not a good place to spend money, he should spend it in florida and ohio

yes, they do that all the time. Just like they did here in CALI. McCain knows that it will be impossible to win here. This state never goes red and we haven't seen much of McCain round here... However, the media wants to make a big deal about him leaving Michigan alone.They want to portray him as giving up on the race...

After the last 8 years wanting another republican government must qualify as some form of insanity like self-harming for example.

How can anyone really be this stupid?

Oh they aren't, Obama is pulling away in the polls

After the last 8 years wanting another republican government must qualify as some form of insanity like self-harming for example.

How can anyone really be this stupid?

Oh they aren't, Obama is pulling away in the polls

i WILL NOT GIVE MY VOTE TO AN INCOMPETENT LIAR!!!!

14 MONTHS IN THE SENATE DOES NOT QUALIFY YOU TO BE A PRESIDENT.

yes, they do that all the time. Just like they did here in CALI. McCain knows that it will be impossible to win here. This state never goes red and we haven't seen much of McCain round here... However, the media wants to make a big deal about him leaving Michigan alone.They want to portray him as giving up on the race...

People need to figure out another way to get news besides the mainstream news. They really are a bunch of freakin nuts. CNN has to be bunched right in there. I really can not even stand 15 min with anderson cooper anymore. At least with Olberman you have an admitted lib, where cooper still likes to try and pretend he is fair and he is far far from it. He just is gross and hard to watch. All of cnn sucks, its to bad because they started out great

I heard this as well and was a bit surprised. He really needs those electoral votes. It looks like it will boil down to Ohio once again. While I generally support the electoral college process, this notion that all the focus on just a hand full of states is getting old.

In a related note, Obama has pulled any serious campaigners in Alaska since Sarah was nominated. There was a time when he could have made a play for our miniscule 3 votes here. I doubt he would have won, but forced McCain to use resources here. He took care of that by picking the Gov as VP.

Although there has been a few anti-Palin rallies, while some are somewhat Obama related, the rest have been generally just anti-Palin.

While I generally support the electoral college process, this notion that all the focus on just a hand full of states is getting old.

The alternative is a Tyranny of the Majority and the ONLY states that would get ANY attention would be the most populous coastal states like California, Texas and Florida....

You don't have to worry about Ohio... Obama's people have been signing up 15 year olds and having them send in absentee balots same day. Ohio has been hijacked by the Chicago-Style of politics and the resultant Vote fraud will push my state into the Blue.

Of course... none of you Obama supporters want to acknowledge Voter fraud that helps YOUR candidate, You guys have no concern for Obama's ties to Voter Fraud organizations like ACORN... Seems like you guys are only concerned with one thing - Winning at any cost.

Werbung:
The alternative is a Tyranny of the Majority and the ONLY states that would get ANY attention would be the most populous coastal states like California, Texas and Florida....

You don't have to worry about Ohio... Obama's people have been signing up 15 year olds and having them send in absentee balots same day. Ohio has been hijacked by the Chicago-Style of politics and the resultant Vote fraud will push my state into the Blue.

Of course... none of you Obama supporters want to acknowledge Voter fraud that helps YOUR candidate, You guys have no concern for Obama's ties to Voter Fraud organizations like ACORN... Seems like you guys are only concerned with one thing - Winning at any cost.

Ohio is probably lost due to extreme voter fraud. The stories coming out of Ohio make me sick. Apparently acorn is doing this in 30 states but they are concentrating on places like Ohio, Florida and virgina.

I think we should speak up about it when ever possible but I doubt it will do any good.

Back