McCain not eligble to be president

Popeye

A law professor at the University of Arizona has concluded that neither McCain’s birth in 1936 in the Panama Canal Zone nor the fact that his parents were American citizens is enough to satisfy the constitutional requirement that the president must be a “natural born citizen.”

The analysis by Prof. Gabriel J. Chin, focuses on a 1937 law (McCain was born in 1936) that has been overlooked in the debate over McCain’s eligibility to be president. The law conferred citizenship on children of American parents born in the Canal Zone after 1904, and it made John McCain a citizen just before his 1st birthday.

What all this means is since McCain was born in 1936 and the law did not go into effect until 1937, McCain is not a natural born citizen and therefore not eligible to be president.

Full analysis here: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract-id=1157621

Werbung:
federal law states that "Any person born in the Canal Zone on or after February 26, 1904, and whether before or after the effective date of this chapter, whose father or mother or both at the time of the birth of such person was or is a citizen of the United States, is declared to be a citizen of the United States".

It doesn't matter when the law went into effect. It was made retroactive (as are many laws), and therefore he is an American citizen.

federal law states that "Any person born in the Canal Zone on or after February 26, 1904, and whether before or after the effective date of this chapter, whose father or mother or both at the time of the birth of such person was or is a citizen of the United States, is declared to be a citizen of the United States".

It doesn't matter when the law went into effect. It was made retroactive (as are many laws), and therefore he is an American citizen.

Yes, McCain is an American citizen and true the 1937 law was made retroactive to 1904. However, when McCain was born in 1936 the law was not yet enacted, meaning he is not, strictly speaking, a natural born citizen. In fact, up until just before his first birthday, he wasn't a citizen at all. He is a citizen by statute. Therefore he does not, according to Professor Chin's analysis, meet the requirement that a president must be a "natural born citizen."

Don't I remember the same thing being said about Obama not too long ago?

Yes, here is one site making the allegation.

Since neither candidate is eligible, let's just dump both of them and start over. There must be thousands of people better qualified to be president than either of the contenders, don't you think?

Big difference, the questioning of Obama's eligibility comes from a RW site referring to a Michelle Malkin blog.

The analysis of McCain's eligibility comes from a University of Arizona law professor.

Poop-I is really scraping the bottle of the barrel now! :D

Yep, bringing a law professor into the mix is sure scraping the bottom. Of course, considering your primary source of information is Faux and RW smear sites, I can see how Professor Chin could be a little intimidating.

Big difference, the questioning of Obama's eligibility comes from a RW site referring to a Michelle Malkin blog.

The analysis of McCain's eligibility comes from a University of Arizona law professor.

Michelle Malkin is hot!! Who cares about her politics.

He can Run, Obama can run...can we move on now?

I'm afraid you're right. We'll be stuck with one of them for four years, at least.

Of course, Hillary will run again in '12, should McCain be elected. I wonder what the other choice will be then, should we still have enough gas to get to the polls, that is.

Werbung:
Yep, bringing a law professor into the mix is sure scraping the bottom. Of course, considering your primary source of information is Faux and RW smear sites, I can see how Professor Chin could be a little intimidating.

Does Professor Chin plan any legal action? Everyone could use a good laugh from some nutcase academic making a fool out of himself. :D

Back