Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

dogtowner

Staff member
really Egypt, what did you expect ?

the military has enjoyed running the show in Egypt since they ensconced Mubarak all those years ago and I doubt they would ever tolerate a muslim fanatic leader such as the MusBros want. strife is bad for business and business is bad enough as it is.

all as predicted.

(Reuters) - Tens of thousands of Egyptians demanded on Friday that their military rulers stick to a pledge to hand over power by mid-year after a row over who can run in the presidential election raised doubts about the army's commitment to democracy.

Two leading Islamist candidates, one representing the Muslim Brotherhood who was seen as the frontrunner, were among those disqualified this week from a vote that starts on May 23-24, drawing a storm of criticism from supporters and the candidates.

Khairat al-Shater, the Brotherhood's former candidate, said his ejection showed the generals who have ruled since Hosni Mubarak was ousted last year had no serious intention of quitting. The movement is now fielding a reserve candidate.

"We are all here to protect the revolution and complete its demands," said Sayed Gad, 38, a pharmacist and Brotherhood member. He had joined a protest which attracted both Islamists and liberals to a packed Tahrir Square in central Cairo, although the two sides were not united on all their demands.

A council of generals, who stepped in 14 months ago after mass demonstrations in Tahrir and elsewhere had sapped Mubarak's power, has led Egypt through a turbulent transition punctuated by spasms of violence and frequent protests against their handling of the move to democracy.
The army says it will stick to its timetable to hand power to a new president by July 1 and has promised to oversee a fair vote. But some remarks from military officials suggesting the army might also seek now to have a new constitution in place before that handover - an impossibly tight deadline for many - has added to popular worries about the military's ambitions.

Western diplomats expect the timetable for transferring powers to hold but say the army which supplied Egypt's presidents for six decades, including Mubarak, and which has built up sprawling business interests throughout that time, will remain an influential player behind the scenes for years.

Werbung:
In the wake of the Arab Spring, the Obama administration is grappling with how to handle Islamists, radical adherents to Islam. Particularly, the issue has come to the fore in regards to Egypt, which, as Reuel Marc Gerecht notes, "is now certain" to elect "an Islamist" as its leaders the next time the Egyptian people go to the poll.

"The war on terror is over," a senior official in the State Department official tells the National Journal. "Now that we have killed most of al Qaida, now that people have come to see legitimate means of expression, people who once might have gone into al Qaida see an opportunity for a legitimate Islamism."

Believe that? Believe it at your own peril, and apparently our State Department does.

"The war on terror is over," a senior official in the State Department official tells the National Journal. "Now that we have killed most of al Qaida, now that people have come to see legitimate means of expression, people who once might have gone into al Qaida see an opportunity for a legitimate Islamism."

Believe that? Believe it at your own peril, and apparently our State Department does.

Typical BS from the delusional crowd. I guess the state department is surrendering to Islamism. Not surprising really. The radical left and Islamists have the same goal...to destroy western civilization.

If the war on terror is over, can we get ride of the TSA?

In the wake of the Arab Spring, the Obama administration is grappling with how to handle Islamists, radical adherents to Islam. Particularly, the issue has come to the fore in regards to Egypt, which, as Reuel Marc Gerecht notes, "is now certain" to elect "an Islamist" as its leaders the next time the Egyptian people go to the poll.

Typical BS from the delusional crowd. I guess the state department is surrendering to Islamism. Not surprising really. The radical left and Islamists have the same goal...to destroy western civilization.

If the war on terror is over, can we get ride of the TSA?

saw on CNN they disrupted a train bomb plot, yeah the muslims have shut down alright...

The bottom line is that people in Egypt will never be free until they separate church and state and until they get civilian control of the military.

Maybe one day they will do that, but probably not in my lifetime.

The bottom line is that people in Egypt will never be free until they separate church and state and until they get civilian control of the military.

hmmm
the military prefers separation of church and state, the people not.
the people may want control of the military, the military not.

Egypt has little going for it so they will always be a lesser state so I doubt a non-military run place will it ever be. they need to discover massive reserves of something other than sand.

hmmm

Egypt has little going for it so they will always be a lesser state so I doubt a non-military run place will it ever be. they need to discover massive reserves of something other than sand.

The wealth of a nation resides in its people.

Sure, the people want to control the military (one would think so, anyway), but the military is powerful and difficult to control.

Whether or not the people prefer separation of church and state, the fact of the matter is that they won't be free so long as both are teamed up together. Maybe they don't care, and would rather be subject to a theocratic state. If that's so, then it's their choice.

They did have separation of church and state and civilian control of the military under Mubarak. So, apparently your theory is worthless.

What they need my poor delusional friend, is a republican form of government rather than a dictatorship....along with separation and civilian control of the military.

The wealth of a nation resides in its people.

Sure, the people want to control the military (one would think so, anyway), but the military is powerful and difficult to control.

Whether or not the people prefer separation of church and state, the fact of the matter is that they won't be free so long as both are teamed up together. Maybe they don't care, and would rather be subject to a theocratic state. If that's so, then it's their choice.

its all they've known going back to ancient times and called for in their religion to boot.

Exactly, which is why it is highly unlikely that they will win their liberty any time soon.

yup. don't see how islam wins over military unless they go over the top killing citizens and get conquered by NATO. maybe the generals will buy off the mus-bros. just going to be ugly for some time and even tourism will die off.

hmmm

Egypt was once the most fertile place in the Middle East. It was the bread basket of the Roman Empire. It is the oldest knwn civilization . It has a lot going for it.

Egypt was once the most fertile place in the Middle East. It was the bread basket of the Roman Empire. It is the oldest knwn civilization . It has a lot going for it.

Agrarian economies may have been boffo 4000 years ago but things are different now.

EGYPT WAS FERTILE DURING THE ROMAN EMPIRE LESS THAN 2000 YEARS AGO.THERE HAVE BEEN CHANGES SINCE WEHTHER THIS IS DUE TO POOR AGRICULTURE PRACTICES OR CLIMATE CHANGE I DO NOT KNOW.

Werbung:
EGYPT WAS FERTILE DURING THE ROMAN EMPIRE LESS THAN 2000 YEARS AGO.THERE HAVE BEEN CHANGES SINCE WEHTHER THIS IS DUE TO POOR AGRICULTURE PRACTICES OR CLIMATE CHANGE I DO NOT KNOW.

irrespective of any supposed change, an agrarian state is going to be a poor state.

Back