Mitt Romney admits 15 pct tax rate

steveox

Republican Mitt Romney acknowledged on Tuesday that his income tax rate is "probably closer to 15 per cent than anything", suggesting that one of the wealthiest people to ever run for US president pays a much lower rate than most Americans.
His comment, a day after Romney agreed for the first time to release his tax returns - but not until April when they are generally filed - added fuel to his Republican rivals' calls for him to be more transparent about his finances.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/business/6277841/Mitt-Romney-admits-15-pct-tax-rate

Do we really need this man in oval office? Hes no differant than that tax cheat Tim Geithner

Werbung:
Newt Gingrich is tough hes a real leader and he has over 20 years of experance with the government. He knows how to deal with a crises and know how to deal with congress. How can people be so stupid on choosing guys like Mitt Romney and Ron Paul. Even Rand Paul doesnt agree with his daddy.

Republican Mitt Romney acknowledged on Tuesday that his income tax rate is "probably closer to 15 per cent than anything", suggesting that one of the wealthiest people to ever run for US president pays a much lower rate than most Americans.
His comment, a day after Romney agreed for the first time to release his tax returns - but not until April when they are generally filed - added fuel to his Republican rivals' calls for him to be more transparent about his finances.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/business/6277841/Mitt-Romney-admits-15-pct-tax-rate

Do we really need this man in oval office? Hes no differant than that tax cheat Tim Geithner

hmmm...
April is a pretty typical time if you look back BECAUSE its current.
15% is the rate for capital gains which is the bulk of his income. John Kerry was 12%.
And Timbo is a tax cheat. No indication of Romney being one. Just means he's akin to Warren Buffet.

I understand you don't care for Romney and that's cool but all the qualifications sav e 20 years on Capital Hill can be claimed by Romney.

Steve -- do you even know how the tax code works?

Big Rob,,, I welcome your opinons..This is what make politics great to watch. Debates! I love watching the bickering from the candidates. Its even more interesting when Democrats do it
smilie_essen_199.gif

Big Rob,,, I welcome your opinons..This is what make politics great to watch. Debates! I love watching the bickering from the candidates. Its even more interesting when Democrats do it
smilie_essen_199.gif

they dont call it political theater for nothing huh steve ? they have to make it an interesting entertainment to get anyone besides wonks to give a rip.

Nothing fake about debates,,Its real unlike Wrestling is staged and scripted. If you ever watch an WWE event you laugh sometimes cause how stupid some matches are,,, Remember Hornswoggle won in a battle royal match? This is Hornswoggle
spin_prod_520517901

This little dork is a mennace. I can even kick his ass too.

Be careful! If I had made that statement, I would probably have been banned for "insulting" a poster! ;)

I don't mean it in a negative fashion...if anyone took it as such then sorry.

I was having this same conversation with a family member who was all up in arms about Romney's rate -- and I legitimately asked him "do you understand how the tax code works?"

For someone like Romney -- it would really be poor planning to pay much more than 15%.

I don't mean it in a negative fashion...if anyone took it as such then sorry.

I was having this same conversation with a family member who was all up in arms about Romney's rate -- and I legitimately asked him "do you understand how the tax code works?"

For someone like Romney -- it would really be poor planning to pay much more than 15%.

Big Rob, I was joking. . . did you see the wink? And at least, you didn't repeatedly call anyone a drunk!. . . which I'm sure YOU wouldn't do, but you seem to find perfectly allright that other people do it!

But I am glad that you are admitting that the tax code is MADE to favor the wealthy. . .since most middle class people get very little capital gain, and thus can never take advantage of such low tax rate!

The tax code needs to be revised, but not like the GOP wants, by lowering taxes on the wealthy even further. . . on the contrary, by raising taxes on capital gain over a certain amount (let's say as an example, capital gain OVER $100,000 a year).

It is totally unfair that people working their butt off to make ends meet, and bringing home just enough to feed their family and to keep (if they're lucky) a house over their head are taxed on the FULL amount of their earnings (yes. . .I know. . .some people don't pay any federal income tax. . .because their earnings are so low in spite of their working their butt off) while the very wealthy get a huge tax break in loopholes and "not earned through work" income.

And then, some people have the guts to say that if the wealthy became wealthy it's because they work so much harder than the poor or middle class! MAYBE they worked hard for a few years, or their parents or grandparents worked hard for a few years, and now, because of the tax code that is so biased in their favor, the wealth just snowball!

Sure, Buffett and Gates also benefit from those loopholes and capital gain tax policies. . .BUT they do recognize the need for a change in the tax code to do away with those biased advantages, they recognize that it is an unfair system, and that they should pay more tax, at least at a time when the country is carrying such huge debts, and at a time when the "job creators" haven't created any jobs for such a long time. . .in spite of the Bush tax cuts!

Romney is not as honest as Buffett and Gates. . .he still believe that tax for the wealthy should be LOWERED!

Sorry. . .that is where the hypocrisy and stupidity come into play!

Lets see....Romney uses the tax system constructed by progressives to pay only 15%...he did nothing illegal...but, he must be condemned.

No doubt all the rich Ds including BO and Nancy Bella Lugosi never did such horrific things....(I tried to insert 'roll eyes' but it is not working...weird)

The fact that republican candidates are hypocrites is no surprise

What is more worrying is their religious fundamentalism and how this now has come to be an essential part of the candidacy.

The current candiates deny evolution, want to criminalsie abortion, oppose gay marriage etc and all in the name of a fairy story the adherents of which can't even agree on.

If I lived in a country where this kind of medieval delusion counted for something good I'd emigrate.

Big Rob, I was joking. . . did you see the wink? And at least, you didn't repeatedly call anyone a drunk!. . . which I'm sure YOU wouldn't do, but you seem to find perfectly allright that other people do it!

I have addressed that matter.

But I am glad that you are admitting that the tax code is MADE to favor the wealthy. . .since most middle class people get very little capital gain, and thus can never take advantage of such low tax rate!

Yes -- but let us not pretend that the Middle Class do not also get their deductions and advantages.

The tax code needs to be revised, but not like the GOP wants, by lowering taxes on the wealthy even further. . . on the contrary, by raising taxes on capital gain over a certain amount (let's say as an example, capital gain OVER $100,000 a year).

Why? Historical data shows increasing capital gains rates results in less revenue. Why don't we just lower taxes for everyone?

It is totally unfair that people working their butt off to make ends meet, and bringing home just enough to feed their family and to keep (if they're lucky) a house over their head are taxed on the FULL amount of their earnings (yes. . .I know. . .some people don't pay any federal income tax. . .because their earnings are so low in spite of their working their butt off) while the very wealthy get a huge tax break in loopholes and "not earned through work" income.

Did I not earn (and already pay taxes on) the money I have invested?

And then, some people have the guts to say that if the wealthy became wealthy it's because they work so much harder than the poor or middle class! MAYBE they worked hard for a few years, or their parents or grandparents worked hard for a few years, and now, because of the tax code that is so biased in their favor, the wealth just snowball!

So we should tax them into oblivion?

Sure, Buffett and Gates also benefit from those loopholes and capital gain tax policies. . .BUT they do recognize the need for a change in the tax code to do away with those biased advantages, they recognize that it is an unfair system, and that they should pay more tax, at least at a time when the country is carrying such huge debts, and at a time when the "job creators" haven't created any jobs for such a long time. . .in spite of the Bush tax cuts!

It is an unfair system -- lets lower taxes for everyone.

Romney is not as honest as Buffett and Gates. . .he still believe that tax for the wealthy should be LOWERED!

He believes taxes for everyone should be lowered.

Sorry. . .that is where the hypocrisy and stupidity come into play!

No -- that is where misrepresentation of a candidate's position comes into play.

Werbung:
a little articles on the whys of lower capital gains taxes

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Why do Mitt Romney and other wealthy investors pay lower taxes on the income they make from investments than they would if they earned their millions from wages? Because Congress, through the tax code, has long treated investment more favorably than labor, seeing it as an engine for economic growth that benefits everyone.

President Barack Obama and the Occupy Wall Street movement are challenging that value system, raising volatile election-year issues of equity, fairness — and Romney's tax returns.
Romney, who released his 2010 and 2011 tax returns this week, has been forced to defend the fact that he paid a tax rate of about 15 percent on an annual income of $21 million. His tax rate is comparable to the one paid by most middle-income families. His income, however, is 420 times higher than the typical U.S. household.

The Republican presidential candidate's taxes were so low because the vast majority of his income came from investments. The U.S. has long had a progressive income tax, in which people who make more money pay taxes at a higher rate than those who make less. But for almost as long, the U.S. has taxed capital gains — the profit from selling an investment — at a lower rate than wages.

"There are two ways to look at: There is a moral argument and an economic growth argument, and they both point to lower taxes on capital gains," said William McBride, an economist at the conservative Tax Foundation.

McBride says it is unfair to tax income more than once, and capital gains are taxed multiple times. If you got the original investment from wages, that money was taxed. If the stock you own gains value because the company you invested in makes a profit, those profits are taxed through the corporate tax. And if that company issues dividends, those are taxed as well.

Lots of people are double taxed, says Chuck Marr, director of federal tax policy for the liberal Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. "Check out your last pay stub: There's income tax and payroll tax, so you're double taxed, too," Marr said.

And, he noted, when you buy something, you probably pay a sales tax.

Under current law, the top tax rate is 15 percent on qualified dividend and long-term capital gains — the profits from selling assets that have been held for at least a year. The top income tax rate on wages is 35 percent, though that applies only to taxable income above $388,350.

Congress started taxing capital gains at a lower rate than wages following World War I. The concern then was that high taxes on capital gains actually reduced revenue because people would simply hold onto their investments and restrict the flow of capital, according to the Encyclopedia of Taxation and Tax Policy.
At the time, however, the top tax rate on wages was a whopping 73 percent. In 1922, Congress lowered the top capital gains rate to 12.5 percent, a rate that lasted until 1934.

For much of the next 70 years, the top tax rate on long-term capital gains hovered between 20 percent and 30 percent, going as high as 39.9 percent in the 1970s but never falling below 20 percent until 2003, when Congress passed a gradual reduction to the current rate.

The 2003 law also started taxing qualified dividends at the same rate as capital gains.

Liberals and some moderates argue that lower taxes on investments are a giveaway to the rich because they are the ones who get the most benefit. Last year, two-thirds of all capital gains went to people making more than $1 million, according to the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation, the official scorekeeper for Congress.

Only 5 percent of capital gains went to people making less than $100,000, and only 13 percent went to people making less than $200,000.

"I'm a liberal person and I believe strongly that the wealthy should pay more than the working poor," Marr said, regardless of whether the income is from investments or labor.

Obama has taken up this argument, though his budget proposals have called for only small tax increases on capital gains and dividends, to a top rate of 20 percent.

Instead, Obama has developed the "Buffet Rule," named after billionaire investor Warren Buffet, which says rich people shouldn't pay taxes at a lower rate than their secretaries. To impose this rule, Obama said at his State of The Union address Tuesday that people making more than $1 million should pay at least 30 percent of their income in taxes.

"Now, you can call this class warfare all you want," Obama said. "But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense."
The proposal has little chance of passing a divided Congress this year, and the Obama administration has released few details on how the tax would work.

Conservatives argue that increasing investment taxes would make it harder to for businesses to raise capital, restricting job growth and hurting financial markets, reducing income for people who rely on pension funds and 401(k) accounts as well as billionaires and millionaires.

"In my view the rationale for taxing capital gains and dividends at a lower rate has nothing to do with what an individual pays versus another individual," said Jim McCrery, who was a senior Republican member of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee when the 2003 tax cuts were enacted. "It has everything to do with the creation of jobs in this country."

McCrery now works for the Alliance for Savings and Investment, a coalition of companies and business groups that want to keep the current tax rates on capital gains and dividends.

Back