New, shiny forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Today I switched the forum to a new forum software.

The reason for this change?
As we are reaching 175,000 posts I thought we need an update to test the flexibility of our members. Just kidding! :D There are indeed very good reasons:

• Maintenance for our old software vBulletin 3 has stopped.
  • The creators of the software Jelsoft have been bought by a rather large company (Internet Brands) who are completely clueless regarding software development and this shows in vBulletin 4 which even after months of updates and fixes still has plenty of severe problems.
  • vBulletin 3 was a nice software but it's getting old fast. For anyone used to modern websites it shows its age.
What are the advantages of the new software?
  • Way more easy to use (trust me, after a few days or weeks you will like it)
  • It's now very simple to upload and share pictures
  • Videos from Youtube and Vimeo are shown automatically and you don't have to fiddle with BB-codes
  • You can Like a post just as on Facebook and other modern sites
  • Personal conversations instead of the rubbish private message system including the ability to attach pictures and other files
  • Alerts e.g. if someone invites you to a conversation or someone likes a post you've made or an update happens to a thread you are watching
  • News feeds
  • Moderation is easier
  • If you want, easy sharing of posts via Facebook, Google+ or Twitter
  • Better performance
What is my personal experience with this software?
I've used this software as a user for more than a year. I've migrated most of my forums to it. Activity has raised since then, on some forums doubled (but of course don't expect this to happen in weeks). And most important, after a short period of accommodation nearly all users liked the change!

Any known problems?
  • Currently no good blog is available. I decided that this shouldn't stop the migration, after all, we don't had much activity on the blogs.
  • We will tweak the visual appearance in the next days.
What happened with my username and password?
Everything stayed the same!

I need help!
Either send me a pm (click on my avatar and then on "Start a Conversation") or ask directly in the forum. I will do my best to help you.

Werbung:
Dang... Wish my work comp weren't such a POS, it's stuck running windows XP (2003) embedded and can't update any higher. I look forward to seeing the changes on my home system, I'm sure they're great! But... No blogs? :( Since I'm about the only person to use the Blog feature, I doubt anyone else will care. BTW, what happened to all my blog posts?

Dang... Wish my work comp weren't such a POS, it's stuck running windows XP (2003) embedded and can't update any higher. I look forward to seeing the changes on my home system, I'm sure they're great!

Whats wrong with your computer at work? The site is tested with all browsers and it even works on my cellular :)

BTW, what happened to all my blog posts?

I have stored all blogs and as soon as a good blog is available I will try to restore them.

My work comp is a WYSE box, it really is a POS (point of sale), it's not meant to handle internet stuff, just inter-store communications and printing invoices. 99% of the sites I try to go to crash the system with an internal memory error, that's one of the reasons I like the HOP's simple format, my work comp could handle it. Just about every site tells me that my browser is outdated and no longer supported, they always suggest browser upgrades but that simply isn't possible. Clearly your cell phone is more advanced than my comp here at work.

Additionally, are the private forums gone as well? I tried to find my calico forum but couldn't... I hope they are not a casualty of progress.

I hate change but I will give this a try, so far I found the place to stick my text

Yes, give it a try. As I wrote above, nearly all users of my other forums that I migrated are very happy about the change, all have been gotten used to it and like the many new things.

why do I have a whole lot of trophys?

The trophies are a little gag, they are given for the number of posts you write and such things, you can ignore it if you want.

how can I turn off pictures ? did not see it on preferences. also all that poster information on the left. but minimumly the pics.

You can turn off signatures (click on the menu on your name available right above, then preferences) and choose "Show people's signatures with their messages" yes/no.
Currently thats all.

Werbung:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back