Obama calls for increase in Federal Gas Tax

Little-Acorn

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-gas-tax-to-fund-highway-construction-repair/

Obama Calls for Extension of Gas Tax to Fund Highway Construction, Repair

Published August 31, 2011
FoxNews.com

President Obama called on Congress Wednesday to pass a transportation funding bill that includes an extension of the federal gas tax, claiming the move would protect about 1 million jobs.

At issue is the renewal of a transportation spending bill that expires Sept. 30.

"That's just not acceptable. It's inexcusable," he said.

Though the president describes the proposal as a transportation bill, its key component is the federal gas tax, which has been 18.4 cents per gallon for nearly two decades. The money is used to fund road construction and repair, as well as other projects -- the tax costs Americans an average of $100 a year.

The call for renewal comes as gas prices remain high -- the national average for a gallon of regular is about $3.62, a dollar more than a year ago. Some conservatives want to allow states, not the federal government, to raise and spend the gas tax money.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

----------------------------------------------

Well, is that a tax increase, or isn't it?

Recall that when Obama was campaigning (before the 2008 election I mean), he said repeatedly that there would be no tax increases on anyone making less than $200K/yr, during his administration. And he still maintains this is true.

When people pointed out that he was pushing for letting the Bush tax cuts expire, and that taxes WOULD go up on the people he mentioned during his administration if this happened, he replied that those taxes were scheduled to do that by the people who had passed them. So it wasn't really a "tax increase under his administration", it was just taxes doing what the people before him had mandated them to do.

If that's so, then wouldn't Obama's calling for the Federal Gas Tax to be extended (instead of expiring as it was mandated long ago) be a "tax increase during his administration"?

You can't have it both ways, Mr. President.

Which is it? Are the Bush tax cuts expiring as scheduled, a tax increase under you?

Or is your extending the Federal Gas Tax beyond its scheduled expiration, a tax increase under you?

Werbung:
Republicans will listen to Tea Party. If they pass it they face the Voters in November. WE WILL REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!
voting-booths-usa.jpg

Remember...These People kicked the Democrats Arses out!
tea_party091.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-gas-tax-to-fund-highway-construction-repair/

Obama Calls for Extension of Gas Tax to Fund Highway Construction, Repair

Published August 31, 2011
FoxNews.com

President Obama called on Congress Wednesday to pass a transportation funding bill that includes an extension of the federal gas tax, claiming the move would protect about 1 million jobs.

At issue is the renewal of a transportation spending bill that expires Sept. 30.

"That's just not acceptable. It's inexcusable," he said.

Though the president describes the proposal as a transportation bill, its key component is the federal gas tax, which has been 18.4 cents per gallon for nearly two decades. The money is used to fund road construction and repair, as well as other projects -- the tax costs Americans an average of $100 a year.

The call for renewal comes as gas prices remain high -- the national average for a gallon of regular is about $3.62, a dollar more than a year ago. Some conservatives want to allow states, not the federal government, to raise and spend the gas tax money.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

----------------------------------------------

Well, is that a tax increase, or isn't it?

Recall that when Obama was campaigning (before the 2008 election I mean), he said repeatedly that there would be no tax increases on anyone making less than $200K/yr, during his administration. And he still maintains this is true.

When people pointed out that he was pushing for letting the Bush tax cuts expire, and that taxes WOULD go up on the people he mentioned during his administration if this happened, he replied that those taxes were scheduled to do that by the people who had passed them. So it wasn't really a "tax increase under his administration", it was just taxes doing what the people before him had mandated them to do.

If that's so, then wouldn't Obama's calling for the Federal Gas Tax to be extended (instead of expiring as it was mandated long ago) be a "tax increase during his administration"?

You can't have it both ways, Mr. President.

Which is it? Are the Bush tax cuts expiring as scheduled, a tax increase under you?

Or is your extending the Federal Gas Tax beyond its scheduled expiration, a tax increase under you?

I am still waiting for that tax break he promised while running for president. He lied about that too :)

I hope someone has the spine to run ads on TV and the radio reminding us of all the crap that has happened since he came into office.

Since when is continuing an existing tax raising taxes?

Should this tax be allowed to expire because we no longer need money to keep the highways in good repair?

umm you got it, you see it every day in your paycheck.

we did not

that first year he was in office he took a 13 dollar a week less in federal taxes for 6 months then the next six months he took 8 less dollars a week in federal taxes and called that a tax cut

but at the end of the year we were taxed exactly the same as the year before so we actually owed more to the IRS than the year before because they took out less.

How much are payroll taxes now?

Remember that $400 tax credit that was a part of the "stimulus"?

Obama is not a tax and spender. He is a borrow and spender. Sometimes, I wonder if he really is a Republican in disguise.

we did not

that first year he was in office he took a 13 dollar a week less in federal taxes for 6 months then the next six months he took 8 less dollars a week in federal taxes and called that a tax cut

but at the end of the year we were taxed exactly the same as the year before so we actually owed more to the IRS than the year before because they took out less.

first of all 550 bucks is almost 2 times Bush's tax rebate off 300 per person. ( i did the math for you...break it down to small numbers seems small...add it up sounds bigger (( I am in sales so its normally me doing the reverse on big tickets))
And thats just for you, I have no idea how much you make or how you figured out your tax change...but already its 2 times Bush's rebate that I am sure you loved.

2nd there was also a payroll tax cut of 2%..that of course...Republicans..( yes republicans) want to end. Yep Obama says keep that tax Cut...Republicans pushing for it to end.

What percent of the Stim package was tax breaks? about 40% Yep almost half of Obama's "huge spending" was tax breaks...something that only counts as spending when dems do it I guess.

on average it should be about 60-80 a month added to checks for most people...Like i said I am not your accountant so I can't say yours.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/us/politics/19taxes.html
I did not use that link for anything but its a good story on what you are talking about...how Obama cut taxes...but people don't seem to notice ..I call it the Fox Effect.

first of all 550 bucks is almost 2 times Bush's tax rebate off 300 per person. ( i did the math for you...break it down to small numbers seems small...add it up sounds bigger (( I am in sales so its normally me doing the reverse on big tickets))
And thats just for you, I have no idea how much you make or how you figured out your tax change...but already its 2 times Bush's rebate that I am sure you loved.

2nd there was also a payroll tax cut of 2%..that of course...Republicans..( yes republicans) want to end. Yep Obama says keep that tax Cut...Republicans pushing for it to end.

What percent of the Stim package was tax breaks? about 40% Yep almost half of Obama's "huge spending" was tax breaks...something that only counts as spending when dems do it I guess.

on average it should be about 60-80 a month added to checks for most people...Like i said I am not your accountant so I can't say yours.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/us/politics/19taxes.html
I did not use that link for anything but its a good story on what you are talking about...how Obama cut taxes...but people don't seem to notice ..I call it the Fox Effect.

You are counting the stim check as a tax cut? I did get a one time 300 dollar stim check 2 years ago but that is not a tax cut, and a rebate (if you buy what the government tells you to buy) is not a tax cut. Even factcheck said he was not being honest about that

Here, I found something from boston globe. Its saying Tech the statement is true that he cut taxes because we all got a stim check. If that is the case then President Bush cut our taxes too :) We had to pay taxes on the stim check we got.

I wonder why he kept saying we would get a tax cut when all he really intended to do was give everyone 300 dollars. In my mind a tax cut is when you are taxed on a smaller income than the year before and we were not, we paid taxes on the same income the year after obama as we did the year before obama

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...obama/tax-cut-95-percent-stimulus-made-it-so/

You are counting the stim check as a tax cut? I did get a one time 300 dollar stim check 2 years ago but that is not a tax cut, and a rebate (if you buy what the government tells you to buy) is not a tax cut. Even factcheck said he was not being honest about that

Here, I found something from boston globe. Its saying Tech the statement is true that he cut taxes because we all got a stim check. If that is the case then President Bush cut our taxes too :) We had to pay taxes on the stim check we got.

I wonder why he kept saying we would get a tax cut when all he really intended to do was give everyone 300 dollars. In my mind a tax cut is when you are taxed on a smaller income than the year before and we were not, we paid taxes on the same income the year after obama as we did the year before obama

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...obama/tax-cut-95-percent-stimulus-made-it-so/

what exactly do you think getting a extra thee hundred back for your taxes is? and Obama gave you about 600...extra money in a year back on every check and you still say where is my tax cut...

Don't blame Obama if you thought you where getting a huge huge tax break...you don't make enough money for that..if you want that Get realy rich and then vote for Bushs tax cut to give billions to the rich...

Also I should note...that if we take the idea of this thread...that renewing a tax is raising taxes...then renewing a tax break is lowering taxes...thus not only did Obama lower taxes for you when he took office, he did so again when he renewed the Bush tax cuts ( and no you can't say the republicans only get credit for that...Obama never had any intent to not renew then for those making less then 200,000 and you do not make that much)

also you seem to be confused...Obama never sent 300 checks...that was Bush. those checks failed because they where suppose to make people spend...most paid off debt thus no stimulus. Smaller amounts over time people are more likey to spend, stimulating the economy.

what exactly do you think getting a extra thee hundred back for your taxes is? and Obama gave you about 600...extra money in a year back on every check and you still say where is my tax cut...

Don't blame Obama if you thought you where getting a huge huge tax break...you don't make enough money for that..if you want that Get realy rich and then vote for Bushs tax cut to give billions to the rich...

Also I should note...that if we take the idea of this thread...that renewing a tax is raising taxes...then renewing a tax break is lowering taxes...thus not only did Obama lower taxes for you when he took office, he did so again when he renewed the Bush tax cuts ( and no you can't say the republicans only get credit for that...Obama never had any intent to not renew then for those making less then 200,000 and you do not make that much)

also you seem to be confused...Obama never sent 300 checks...that was Bush. those checks failed because they where suppose to make people spend...most paid off debt thus no stimulus. Smaller amounts over time people are more likey to spend, stimulating the economy.

So you are saying he cut everyones taxes by giving everyone the same amount on a rebate? OK :) I won't argue with you except to say that I disagree that it was a tax cut. Had he lowered the rate I pay, that would be a tax cut

Too many people lie about the differences between a cut and an increase.

At first I thought the op had lied because the title of this thread did not match the article. then I saw the second part of the OP.

Little - Acorn, Can you explain in different words how P. Obama is having it both ways? Perhaps I am just tired but I was not getting it today.

So you are saying he cut everyones taxes by giving everyone the same amount on a rebate? OK :) I won't argue with you except to say that I disagree that it was a tax cut. Had he lowered the rate I pay, that would be a tax cut

By giving you back the money, he cut your tax rate!

If you would normally have paid $1,500 in tax, and you get a rebate of $300, that means that he cut your effective tax rate on your NET income by 20%. . .you paid 20% less tax than you would otherwise have paid. . .whether that $300 comes out of your $1,500 tax bill, or whether you pay the $1,500 tax bill, then a get a $300 back from the IRS

so tax cuts only count if a percentage but not a set amount?

also again Bush did the rebate check, not Obama...Obama cut your rate.

Werbung:
A large part of the "stimulus" was in the form of tax credits:

The $789.5 billion stimulus package was approved by the house without Republican support. President Obama is expected to sign it into law Monday morning. What does it mean for individuals? The stimulus package includes a $400 per-worker tax credit for 2009 and 2010,

Face it: Obama is a conservative tax cutting crusader!

but, if tax cuts improve the economy, we should be in real boom times now, right? A $400 tax credit on the heels of a lower tax rate signed into law in the previous administration should have boosted the economy into the stratosphere.

If, that is, tax cuts really help the economy.

Back