Obama: Gitmo caused formation of Al Qaeda in Arabian peninsula

Little-Acorn

Yes, I thought it was a joke by some overheated blogger when I first saw this claim. But the text of Obama's speech yesterday, as found on the official White House website, shows it's accurate.

What on Earth is going on here?

Obama Jan. 5 said:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/01/05/urgency-getting-right

"Finally, some have suggested that the events on Christmas Day should cause us to revisit the decision to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay. So let me be clear. It was always our intent to transfer detainees to other countries only under conditions that provide assurances that our security is being protected.

"With respect to Yemen in particular, there's an ongoing security situation which we have been confronting for some time, along with our Yemeni partner. Given the unsettled situation, I've spoken to the Attorney General and we've agreed that we will not be transferring additional detainees back to Yemen at this time.

"But make no mistake: We will close Guantanamo prison, which has damaged our national security interests and become a tremendous recruiting tool for al Qaeda. In fact, that was an explicit rationale for the formation of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula."

-Barack Obama

Let me get this straight.

Obama is saying that Al Qaeda did not exist on the Arabian Peninsula before we started putting the worst of the terrorists into Gitmo???

Remind me again, which country did most of the 9/11 hijackers come from?

And how many terrorists had we put into Gitmo before they perpetrated the 9/11 attacks?

On a hopefully-unrelated note, I see where Nancy Pelosi announced yesterday that Congress's work on the Health Care bills has been the most open and transparent process ever.

(shaking head in bewilderment)

Do these people in Washington exist in some parallel universe somewhere?

And these aren't small, irrelevant bloggers on some BBS playing with their computers. These are the TWO HIGHEST ELECTED OFFICIALS IN THE U.S. GOVERNMENT saying these things... and they are serious!

Am I the only one who finds this going far beyond "alarming"?

Werbung:
who would not volunteer for the sweet life of Carribean living with three squares a day and all your needs seen to ? :rolleyes:

dems love the big lie.

Back