Obama resigns Senate seat

Popeye

His resignation will officially go into effect Sunday...Under Illinois state law, Democratic Gov. Blagojevich is responsible for naming a successor to serve out the remainder of Obama's term (2010).

"It has been one of the highest honors and privileges of my life to have served the people of Illinois in the United States Senate. In a state that represents the crossroads of a nation, I have met so many men and women who've taken different journeys, but hold common hopes for their children's future.

"It is these Illinois families and their stories that will stay with me as I leave the United States Senate and begin the hard task of fulfilling the simple hopes and common dreams of all Americans as our nation's next President."

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE4AC7V620081113?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Werbung:
oh good now someone can actually go to washington to represent them :) I hope its someone who is very much like himself ;)

Sarcastic aren't we?..still bitter over the election? Anyway, a poll showed Jesse Jackson Jr. to be the favorite to get Obama's Senate seat, but it's thought name recognition had a lot to do with that since he only got 21%...a bunch of lesser knowns got less.

The rumor I read is that Illinois State Senate president Emil Jones may have the inside track on being named Obama's replacement. Jones is 73 though, so it would probably only be until 2010 when the term is up. Jones is also said to be a mentor of Obama's, so it might be a nice idea.

Werbung:
Sarcastic aren't we?..still bitter over the election? Anyway, a poll showed Jesse Jackson Jr. to be the favorite to get Obama's Senate seat, but it's thought name recognition had a lot to do with that since he only got 21%...a bunch of lesser knowns got less.

The rumor I read is that Illinois State Senate president Emil Jones may have the inside track on being named Obama's replacement. Jones is 73 though, so it would probably only be until 2010 when the term is up. Jones is also said to be a mentor of Obama's, so it might be a nice idea.

I did not mean it to be sarcastic, sorry and yes I am bitter but I had not meant this post to be bitter.

I would have said the same if it were McCain. I dont like that these guys can be paid to do a job they are not doing while they are out stumping for another job. I dont like it no matter who does it and I wish there were a law if a person who is already a senator or gov or what ever runs for president they DO NOT GET PAID, they appoint someone to do the job for them and that other persons gets paid. Or better yet they have to quit the job before they start stumping for the next one, it would really take all the non serious contenders out of the running :)

I think Jesse Jackson Jr. Would make a great replacement.

Back