Our involvement in Iraq will span many years..

nobull

I would like to add to the chorus of those who say that our involvement in Iraq will span many years. I hope everyone is ready for that, because it's not going to be a quick operation like it was in 1991.

To imagine what a post-Hussein Iraq will be like, imagine a combination of Afghanistan and Yugoslavia. As in Afghanistan, there are factions that both dislike and mistrust each other. As in Yugoslavia, these hostilities are masked because the current regime is so oppressive. But, as was the case with Yugoslavia, remove that oppressive regime and all hell breaks loose.

The Kurds in northern Iraq have absolutely no intention of being ruled by Arabs. The region around the northern city of Kirkuk is very rich in easily-accessible oil, and the Kurds claim that their rights to Kirkuk go back centuries.

But, if you think that will create a tension between the Kurdish minority and a central Iraqi government based in Baghdad, that is only part of the story.

There is also a Turkish population in the Kirkuk area, and the Turks also claim that region. Moreover, the government of Turkey has been attempting to repress its own Kurdish population (of about 15 million, though estimates vary) for years, in the face of a separatist movement. So, as you might imagine, Turkey would view the formation of a Kurdish state in northern Iraq with considerable alarm, for fear that this would solidify the separatist movement within its own borders. Not to mention its concern for the Turkish minority living in the Kirkuk area. And, of course, there's all that oil, as well. So, some Turksih officials have already threatened that, if the Kurds formed a Kursidh state in northern Iraq, then Turkey would invade. And, of course, this is something that Turkey has done in the past - witness Cyprus.

So, it's really quite a mess that we will be getting ourselves into.

And, taking a step back and looking at the big picture, all that fighting is among Muslims. It simply does not pay for non-Muslim countries to get involved in disputes among Muslims. The help is not appreciated.

There is quite a lot to be said for "The Prime Directive." For those of you not familiar with Star Trek lore, the prime directive is the prohibition against interfering in the development of other societies.

We should simply hand the reins of government back to the Arab Iraqis, and let them do what they want - reserving the right to go back in if they begin to develop WMD. Maybe we'll just have to do that once every ten years - who knows.

But, in the west, "democracy" has become our religion, and we ought to know better than to think we can force our religion on someone else.

Iraq has been one of the more secular societies in the Arab/Muslim world, and it is ony because Saddam has been such a tyrant that Iraq has not been subject to the destabilizing influence of militant Islam - that, and the fact that he reached a non-aggression pact with al Qaeda. But, remove Saddam and it will be open season for the terrorists. They will all be chomping at the bit to gain power there. And the 3% of the Iraqi population that is not Muslim will be at significantly increased risk. We don't even know that we can protect ourselves here in the U.S., let alone protect the Christians and other non-Muslims in Iraq.

Well, there is still the possibility of an 11th-hour coup, or assassination, or forced exile. Wouldn't it be great if either the military or the Saudis could manage to get someone installed who was willing to just hand over all the WMD stuff to the weapons inspectors (i.e., the real disarmament that was supposed to happen years ago).

Yeah, and then maybe the Red Sox will win a World Series. In other words, it would be nice, but I'm not counting on it.

I know some of you folks disagree, but I don't believe in nation-building as a reason for going to war. We didn't go to war with Japan and Germany in order to rebuild them. We fought them in order to eliminate a serious threat. No one was worried about nation-building when we entered the war.

But, more importantly, it was a lot easier to rebuild them than it would be Iraq, because we crushed them completely. There was no fight left in them. They were in no position to make demands. We won and they lost, and it was as simple as that. So, they were willing to take what assistance we would give them.

Iraq will be different. The only people who will be defeated will be Hussein and his loyalists. Everyone else is just waiting on the sidelines, like vultures, waiting for us to do their dirty work.

A Zen master and his student were walking along a river. The student said, "when will I attain enlightenment?" The master grabbed him, pulled him into the river, and thrust his head under water. The student began thrashing in the water, but to no avail as the master kept his head submerged. Finally, with all his might, the student freed himself and got up, gasping for air. The master said, "When you desire enlightenment the way you desired that breath of air, then you will have it, and no sooner."

It's the same with democracy. You can't make people want it. They have to want it for themselves. They have to be willing to fight for it. It has to be a matter of life and death to have it, or it won't work - and especially in the middle east of all places.

For us to "give democracy" to another people is entirely self-serving and self-aggrandizing on our part. Who says they want it? If Muslims know about anything, they know about "striving." That is what jihad means. Let them strive for democracy, if that is their wish. But, it's not for us to strive for them - that is impossible.

We should stop meddling in other peoples' business. If people want to live under despots, let them. If they want to live under the yoke of Shari'ah (Koranic law), complete with its beheadings, amputations and oppression of women, let them. It's not for us to say otherwise. We are not God.

We have the right to choose otherwise for ourselves. (And, btw, in choosing democracy for ourselves, we have the right to exclude anyone who seeks to undermine our choice.) But, we have no business choosing for someone else, and, in fact, it can't be done, any more than you can make someone stop smoking or drinking.

Liberty must be won, and it must be won by the people seeking it. In 1821, when Greece declared its independence from the Ottomans after 400 years of occupation, they said, "Eleftheria H Thanatos" ("freedom or death"). If you really want freedom, you have to be willing to die for it. It's that simple.

For us to think we can hand freedom to Iraq is pure hubris on our part, and it won't work.

If you don t mind, I m willing to forego the extra helping of imperialism regardless of whether it is being dished-out by the Muslims or by us and suggest we attempt a diet of extended duration, based on the prime directive.

Werbung:
That was a post I made before we went into Iraq...on the raging bull thread..

regards
doug

nobull, et al,

As I read this, I was smiling.

I would like to add to the chorus of those who say that our involvement in Iraq will span many years. I hope everyone is ready for that, because it's not going to be a quick operation like it was in 1991.
(COMMENT)

I am sure, that if we leave this to the traditional Foreign Service (Department of State), we will. The dogma by which they live hasn't changed since George C. Marshall's time. And the only problem with that is that we don't have anyone in the Foreign Service to match the intellect of Marshall.

If we follow these mediocre Foreign Service Officers, they will keep us in this blackhole for decades.

But, at the rate they are failing, we may have some hope yet. With the terribly fine results they had motivating the Iraqis to have the elections, just maybe, they will have a government formed just before the next elections are due.

With Nouri al-Maliki in charge, and with his new found sidekick, Moqtada al-Sadr, the US will have really demonstrated how well the State Department spreads Democracy and fights terrorism. Then, with the support of Syria and Iran, the State Department shows just how expertly they created an Islamic State and taught Iraq how to make allies of terrorist supporting nations.

The Kurds in northern Iraq have absolutely no intention of being ruled by Arabs. The region around the northern city of Kirkuk is very rich in easily-accessible oil, and the Kurds claim that their rights to Kirkuk go back centuries.
(COMMENT)

Yes, this is why the Kurd have a lock on the presidency.

There is also a Turkish population in the Kirkuk area, and the Turks also claim that region. Moreover, the government of Turkey has been attempting to repress its own Kurdish population (of about 15 million, though estimates vary) for years, in the face of a separatist movement.
(COMMENT)

Those are not the Turks that are going to cause the problem. It will be the border separatists that start the fist-fight.

Well, there is still the possibility of an 11th-hour coup, or assassination, or forced exile. Wouldn't it be great if either the military or the Saudis could manage to get someone installed who was willing to just hand over all the WMD stuff to the weapons inspectors (i.e., the real disarmament that was supposed to happen years ago).
(COMMENT)

Well, there really isn't any WMD. As much as the US Government wants it to be so, it just is not the case.

I know some of you folks disagree, but I don't believe in nation-building as a reason for going to war. We didn't go to war with Japan and Germany in order to rebuild them. We fought them in order to eliminate a serious threat. No one was worried about nation-building when we entered the war.
(COMMENT)

Oh - you are probably right. I believe the PNAC want a Hegemony.

There is quite a lot to be said for "The Prime Directive." For those of you not familiar with Star Trek lore, the prime directive is the prohibition against interfering in the development of other societies.
(COMMENT)

Yes, we should allow these regions and countries to choose their own destiny, their own government, and their own leadership. If they want a dictator, then let them have it.

Remember, they had a benevolent King and they killed him and nearly the entire family. Iraqis are very noble that way. Then they complained about their leadership.

For us to "give democracy" to another people is entirely self-serving and self-aggrandizing on our part. Who says they want it? If Muslims know about anything, they know about "striving." That is what jihad means. Let them strive for democracy, if that is their wish. But, it's not for us to strive for them - that is impossible.

We should stop meddling in other peoples' business.
(COMMENT)

Agreed!

Liberty must be won, and it must be won by the people seeking it. In 1821, when Greece declared its independence from the Ottomans after 400 years of occupation, they said, "Eleftheria H Thanatos" ("freedom or death"). If you really want freedom, you have to be willing to die for it. It's that simple.

For us to think we can hand freedom to Iraq is pure hubris on our part, and it won't work.

If you don t mind, I m willing to forego the extra helping of imperialism regardless of whether it is being dished-out by the Muslims or by us and suggest we attempt a diet of extended duration, based on the prime directive.
(COMMENT)

Iraq has a flakey leadership, Sunni terrorists, Shi'ite terrorists, foreign terrorists, and terrorist supporting allies. What more do we need to declare success. Let's pat the Department of State and the Military Leadership on the back and call it a day. We've spent far too much blood and treasure on this grand experiment.

Most Respectfully,
R

So what? We still have bases in japan. Military involvement there: 1945-2010 - 65 years. Europe: 1944-2010 - 66 years. Korea: 1950-2010 - 60 years.

Rick, et al,

Yes, this is often cited as an example.

So what? We still have bases in japan. Military involvement there: 1945-2010 - 65 years. Europe: 1944-2010 - 66 years. Korea: 1950-2010 - 60 years.
(COMMENT)

Our military forces in Japan are part of our strategic reach (The Hegmony), and not there to provide Japanese internal security. It is a very big difference. We are not teaching the Japanese how to run their government, or help them with a counterinsurgency, we are not there to fend-off a mounting border threat.

The US in Iraq has little details from every major governmental activity in the US; everything from Agriculture to the Border Patrol, the FAA to Commerce. This is not what we are doing in Korea, Germany or Japan. Now there are many people that make this false analogy. But it is a very desparate argument. At first, it sound similar, but in none of those cases did these countries have much difficulty in establishing a government, in initiating reconstruction, or fending-off an insurgency in the post combat pahse. In fact, given the infusion of US Dollars, Iraq should have skyrocketd in develpoment.

Neither Italy, Korea, Germany or Japan immediately attempted to strike-up relations with nations having hostile intentions towards the US. Yet, in Iraq, this is not the case. Even as I type this, the Prime Minister of Iraq is in Iran attempting to raise support for his continued leadership in Iraq. The Prime Minister is also making an alliance with the anti-US Insurgents. This pathway has nothing in common with Korea, Germany, or Italy or Japan.

There is a big difference in being stationed in hotile territory for 60 years, and being in Korea, Germany, Japan, or Italy; all of which have US Forces.

Most Respectfully,
R

That was a post I made before we went into Iraq...on the raging bull thread..

regards
doug

And it turned out to be right, too. Not only that, we could still today write about how our involvement in Iraq will span yet more years, and be correct.

We didn't learn our lesson in Vietnam, so it was repeated. How many more times will it be repeated before we no longer start wars against nations that are not a threat to us?

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

And it turned out to be right, too. Not only that, we could still today write about how our involvement in Iraq will span yet more years, and be correct.

We didn't learn our lesson in Vietnam, so it was repeated. How many more times will it be repeated before we no longer start wars against nations that are not a threat to us?

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

Well well...at last we can agree on something. You being a lib and me a con...and yet, we can agree.

Not only is it time to stop unprovoked wars, its time to bring all the troops home. We do not need to have troops stationed all over the world. We can still be actively involved in world affairs using our diplomats, technology, and navy.

It is also time to end the war in Afghan****istan. BO has no intention of winning there even if it were possible. When the radicals act up, send in the air force and wipe them out. Boots on the ground is not working and besides, the progressives have bankrupted the country. We can't afford this sh*t any longer.

Are will going to follow in the footsteps of Rome and Great Britain or are we going to wake up and end the insanity?

PLC1, et al,

In Vietnam, my first combat tour, we fell prey to the intellect of (what was then known as) the "Whiz Kids." The were the best and the brightest.
[See: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,896423,00.html ]

(COMMENT)

In Iraq, we fell prey to the PNAC (Project for a New American Century).
  • Elliott Abrams
  • Jeb Bush
  • Dick Cheney
  • Eliot A. Cohen
  • Steve Forbes
  • Zalmay Khalilzad
  • I. Lewis Libby
  • Dan Quayle
  • Henry S. Rowen (Former Whiz Kid)
  • Richard Perle
  • Donald Rumsfeld
  • Paul Wolfowitz

To understand the agenda and primer for the PNAC you have to do some reading, but --- in essence, they are the guding force behind the "Pre-emptive War Strategy.

The key, to the time of the Whiz Kids and the link to the PNAC, is this: If you were not in or of the PNAC, you were an outsider --- and thus your voice was not heard.

This spells trouble for everyone. They were voice behind the Iraq war drum beating. They are all heavy hitters and individually successful in their own right. They are no set of dummies (except maybe for AMB Zalmay Khalilzad, who is IMO a walking disaster). I was in Iraq when Ambassador Khalilzad allowed the Interim Government to go Islamic (Non-secular Constitution), following the example of Syria. He made the same mistake in Afghanistan. Just what the world needs is another non-Secular State for lunitic Islamics. With the Constitution behind him, Muqtada al-Sadr has reason to believe that he can make a steady rise to power and (eventually) become the Prominent cleric and political leader of Iraq. It will be the included in the price of failure.

All these names should seem very familiar, and all were PNAC; but, this small list is not all inclusive.

Bottom Line: "The PNAC" made me do it!!!

Most Respectfully,
R

Well well...at last we can agree on something. You being a lib and me a con...and yet, we can agree.

Not only is it time to stop unprovoked wars, its time to bring all the troops home. We do not need to have troops stationed all over the world. We can still be actively involved in world affairs using our diplomats, technology, and navy.

It is also time to end the war in Afghan****istan. BO has no intention of winning there even if it were possible. When the radicals act up, send in the air force and wipe them out. Boots on the ground is not working and besides, the progressives have bankrupted the country. We can't afford this sh*t any longer.

Are will going to follow in the footsteps of Rome and Great Britain or are we going to wake up and end the insanity?

OMG! The Gipper is right! Anything can happen now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PLC1, et al,

In Vietnam, my first combat tour, we fell prey to the intellect of (what was then known as) the "Whiz Kids." The were the best and the brightest.
[See: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,896423,00.html ]

(COMMENT)

In Iraq, we fell prey to the PNAC (Project for a New American Century).
  • Elliott Abrams
  • Jeb Bush
  • Dick Cheney
  • Eliot A. Cohen
  • Steve Forbes
  • Zalmay Khalilzad
  • I. Lewis Libby
  • Dan Quayle
  • Henry S. Rowen (Former Whiz Kid)
  • Richard Perle
  • Donald Rumsfeld
  • Paul Wolfowitz

To understand the agenda and primer for the PNAC you have to do some reading, but --- in essence, they are the guding force behind the "Pre-emptive War Strategy.

The key, to the time of the Whiz Kids and the link to the PNAC, is this: If you were not in or of the PNAC, you were an outsider --- and thus your voice was not heard.

This spells trouble for everyone. They were voice behind the Iraq war drum beating. They are all heavy hitters and individually successful in their own right. They are no set of dummies (except maybe for AMB Zalmay Khalilzad, who is IMO a walking disaster). I was in Iraq when Ambassador Khalilzad allowed the Interim Government to go Islamic (Non-secular Constitution), following the example of Syria. He made the same mistake in Afghanistan. Just what the world needs is another non-Secular State for lunitic Islamics. With the Constitution behind him, Muqtada al-Sadr has reason to believe that he can make a steady rise to power and (eventually) become the Prominent cleric and political leader of Iraq. It will be the included in the price of failure.

All these names should seem very familiar, and all were PNAC; but, this small list is not all inclusive.

Bottom Line: "The PNAC" made me do it!!!

Most Respectfully,
R

I hadn't heard of the Pentagon's "Whiz Kids", but I've known about the PNAC for some time, and have made several posts about them. Your observation is exactly right. It was the PNAC, Cheney, Wolfie and Rummy in particular, who influenced Bush to get involved in Iraq, . It's funny how we don't hear so much about that particular organization now that the six month war has approached a decade with no end in sight.

Rick, et al,

Our military forces in Japan are part of our strategic reach (The Hegmony), and not there to provide Japanese internal security. It is a very big difference. We are not teaching the Japanese how to run their government, or help them with a counterinsurgency, we are not there to fend-off a mounting border threat.

(giggle) ......we have a major mutual defense treaty with japan - read up.

Neither Italy, Korea, Germany or Japan immediately attempted to strike-up relations with nations having hostile intentions towards the US. Yet, in Iraq, this is not the case. Even as I type this, the Prime Minister of Iraq is in Iran attempting to raise support for his continued leadership in Iraq.

Iraq is practicing realpolitik - they have to stay in that area after we're gone.

Rick, et al,

Yes, this is often cited as an example.

(COMMENT)

The US in Iraq has little details from every major governmental activity in the US; everything from Agriculture to the Border Patrol, the FAA to Commerce. This is not what we are doing in Korea, Germany or Japan. Now there are many people that make this false analogy. But it is a very desparate argument. At first, it sound similar, but in none of those cases did these countries have much difficulty in establishing a government, in initiating reconstruction, or fending-off an insurgency in the post combat pahse. In fact, given the infusion of US Dollars, Iraq should have skyrocketd in develpoment.

Neither Italy, Korea, Germany or Japan immediately attempted to strike-up relations with nations having hostile intentions towards the US. Yet, in Iraq, this is not the case. Even as I type this, the Prime Minister of Iraq is in Iran attempting to raise support for his continued leadership in Iraq. The Prime Minister is also making an alliance with the anti-US Insurgents. This pathway has nothing in common with Korea, Germany, or Italy or Japan.

There is a big difference in being stationed in hotile territory for 60 years, and being in Korea, Germany, Japan, or Italy; all of which have US Forces.

Most Respectfully,
R

Not to mention Islam..lol

Werbung:

I do not believe any conservative wants to go to war..that said, we need to stop going after every dictator who wears a funny hat..

regards
doug

Back