Parable of the Defamer

Libsmasher

(This story has been told in different versions centered around different cultures. If you already heard it in another version and don't like this one - sue me. :))

In ancient times, the jews lived in desert areas. One time a man from another village approached a great Rabbi.

"Rabbi" he said, "I have walked all day to speak to you. I have slandered another man. I'm sorry for this. What can I do to repair what I have done?"

The Rabbi said "Go home and get a pillow, and bring it here tomorrow."

The man was confused "Get a pillow? I have to go all the way back and return? Why?"

"Do as I say" said the Rabbi.

The next day the man reappeared at the Rabbi's village with a fine pillow. "Now what?" he asked.

"Now, tear the pillow to shreds" said the Rabbi.

"What?? This is an expensive pillow - do you really want me to do that?"

The man began furiously ripping apart the pillow, which was stuffed with fine down feathers. The desert breeze soon caught the feathers and blew them in all directions. "Now what?" said the man.

"Now put the pillow back together as before" said the Rabbi.

"Put it back together?? The feathers have blown all over and a long way from here - there's no way I can put the pillow back together again!" said the man.

"Exactly" said the Rabbi.

Werbung:
(This story has been told in different versions centered around different cultures. If you already heard it in another version and don't like this one - sue me. :))

In ancient times, the jews lived in desert areas. One time a man from another village approached a great Rabbi.

"Rabbi" he said, "I have walked all day to speak to you. I have slandered another man. I'm sorry for this. What can I do to repair what I have done?"

The Rabbi said "Go home and get a pillow, and bring it here tomorrow."

The man was confused "Get a pillow? I have to go all the way back and return? Why?"

The next day the man reappeared at the Rabbi's village with a fine pillow. "Now what?" he asked.

"Now, tear the pillow to shreds" said the Rabbi.

"What?? This is an expensive pillow - do you really want me to do that?"

The man began furiously ripping apart the pillow, which was stuffed with fine down feathers. The desert breeze soon caught the feathers and blew them in all directions. "Now what?" said the man.

"Now put the pillow back together as before" said the Rabbi.

"Put it back together?? The feathers have blown all over and a long way from here - there's no way I can put the pillow back together again!" said the man.

"Exactly" said the Rabbi.

See you in court :mad: lol

Back