Poll: US image improves under Obama

Popeye

Under Bush we were viewed worldwide as not much more than a bully, a glamorized terrorist nation that went around the world causing more trouble than anything else...America was looked upon with disgust, by friends as well as enemies.

Obama has helped turn that around...a lot of work still needs to be done, but finally we have a president that is trusted and admired around the majority of the globe...that can only be a good thing.

President Obama's soaring popularity has significantly boosted attitudes toward the United States in Europe, Latin America, Africa and Asia, surveys in 24 countries by the Pew Research Center finds. But animosity toward the U.S. in some predominantly Muslim nations remains deep and strong.

Across much of the world, the first five months of Obama's presidency essentially erased the battering the USA's image took during eight years of the Bush administration, according to the study by Pew's Global Attitudes Project released Thursday.

----------

Confidence that Obama will "do the right thing in world affairs" was double that for Bush in China, triple in Japan and Mexico, quadruple in Jordan and Egypt. The contrast was even wider across Western Europe and in Turkey and Argentina. In France, 13% viewed Bush positively last year; now 91% express confidence in Obama.

Bush fared better than Obama in just one country surveyed. In Israel, 57% expressed confidence in Bush in 2007; 56 express confidence in Obama now. Obama's speech in Cairo last month aimed at the Muslim world increased the percentage of those in the Palestinian territories who said Obama "will consider our interests," but it eroded the number of Israelis who felt that way.

Attitudes toward the United States continued to be dismal in some predominantly Muslim countries. Just 14% of those surveyed in Turkey and 16% in Pakistan had a favorable opinion of the U.S.

Attitudes in the Middle East aren't likely to improve significantly until progress is made in resolving the conflict between Israel and Palestinians, Albright said. "People are going to be looking for solutions — there's no question about that."

For the first time in the Pew study, there was more confidence in the American president that in al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in such predominantly Muslim countries as Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, Nigeria and Indonesia. Last year, most Muslim countries rated bin Laden as high or higher than Bush.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-07-23-obama-poll_N.htm?csp=34

Werbung:
Under Bush we were viewed worldwide as not much more than a bully, a glamorized terrorist nation that went around the world causing more trouble than anything else...America was looked upon with disgust, by friends as well as enemies.

Obama has helped turn that around...a lot of work still needs to be done, but finally we have a president that is trusted and admired around the majority of the globe...that can only be a good thing.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-07-23-obama-poll_N.htm?csp=34

There is a part of me that wants to agree with you 100%, but there is one thing that bothers me. Since the early 1900's we have been asked to be the policeman of the world. Yes, I said asked. Every time we have refused, there have been dire consequences and people have suffered. If we don't step in when the world goes sideways, then who will?

It is something like parenting. My brother and I had a healthy fear of our father because we knew there would be punishment for inappropriate behavior. Too many children look upon their parents as friends and in turn ignore boundaries that keep them safe.

I sure hope that, as a world leader, President Obama is building more friendships, but is also reminding them (as Teddy Roosevelt would say) that we carry a big stick.

Back