Prospect of More U.S. Troops Worries Afghan Public

PLC1

Staff member
Exit strategy, anyone?

CHARIKAR, Afghanistan — As Americans, including President Obama’s top advisers, tensely debate whether to send more American troops to Afghanistan, Afghans themselves are having a similar discussion and voicing serious doubts.
In bazaars and university corridors across the country, eight years of war have left people exhausted and impatient. They are increasingly skeptical that the Taliban can be defeated. Nearly everyone agrees that the Afghan government must negotiate with the insurgents. If more American forces do arrive, many here say, they should come to train Afghans to take over the fight, so the foreigners can leave.

Why are we still there, again?

Werbung:
President Obama needs to make up his mind what he wants to do. Why is there still a delay?

Yes, he does, and I'm not sure. I thought maybe he wanted to wait until after the election, but that's already come and gone. It seems to me that some decision needs to be made soon, and that no matter what that decision is, someone won't like it.

Yes, he does, and I'm not sure. I thought maybe he wanted to wait until after the election, but that's already come and gone. It seems to me that some decision needs to be made soon, and that no matter what that decision is, someone won't like it.

I do think the election caught them off guard. The strategy when he sent in soldiers before was to secure the election, and when there were all the fraud allegations I think they were a bit taken aback.

That said, for someone who promised not to have soldiers deployed abroad without a clear mission, he is taking his time on the decision.

I think pulling out would be the wrong move, but if he came out and decided that was his course, at least i could respect the fact that he made a decision and stuck with it.

Werbung:
I do think the election caught them off guard. The strategy when he sent in soldiers before was to secure the election, and when there were all the fraud allegations I think they were a bit taken aback.

That said, for someone who promised not to have soldiers deployed abroad without a clear mission, he is taking his time on the decision.

I think pulling out would be the wrong move, but if he came out and decided that was his course, at least i could respect the fact that he made a decision and stuck with it.

Agreed. I'm not sure just what the right move is at this point. We should have been in and out of Afganistan eight years ago, and never should have gone to Iraq at all. I'm really not sure how best to pick up the pieces from poor decisions in the past, but postponing any decision wouldn't seem the wisest choice.

Back