Punative taxation ? Kind of illegal isnt it ?

dogtowner

Staff member
read

Obama wants to tax financial outfits supposedly to recoup the TARP money. Only problem is that many of these companies did not get TARP money, and many others have paid it back.

So what exactly is he doing this for ?

I mean besides taking the money and having the customers pay for it. You know, all those customers making less that $200k that he said woudl not see a tax increase.

Sounds like a bill of attainder to me. If it gets passed I guess we'll find out.

President Barack Obama told banks Thursday they should pay a new tax to recoup the cost of bailing out foundering firms at the height of the financial crisis. "We want our money back," he said.

In a brief appearance with advisers at the White House, Obama branded the latest round of bank bonuses as "obscene." But he said his goal was to prevent such excesses in the future, not to punish banks for past behavior.

The tax, which would require congressional approval, would last at least 10 years and generate about $90 billion over the decade, according to administration estimates. "If these companies are in good enough shape to afford massive bonuses, they are surely in good enough shape to afford paying back every penny to taxpayers," Obama said.

Advisers believe the administration can make an argument that banks should tap their bonus pools for the fee instead of passing the cost on to consumers.

The president's tone was emphatic and populist, capitalizing on public antipathy toward Wall Street. With the sharp words, he also tried to deflect some of the growing skepticism aimed at his own economic policies as unemployment stubbornly hovers around 10 percent.

The proposed 0.15 percent tax on the liabilities of large financial institutions would apply only to those companies with assets of more than $50 billion — a group estimated at about 50. Administration officials estimate that 60 percent of the revenue would come from the 10 biggest ones.

They would have to pay up even though many did not accept any taxpayer assistance and most that did have repaid the infusions.
Obama said big banks had acted irresponsibility, taken reckless risk for short-term profits and plunged into a crisis of their own making. He cast the struggle ahead as one between the finance industry and average people.

"We are already hearing a hue and cry from Wall Street, suggesting that this proposed fee is not only unwelcome but unfair, that by some twisted logic, it is more appropriate for the American people to bear the cost of the bailout rather than the industry that benefited from it, even though these executives are out there giving themselves huge bonuses," Obama said.

He renewed his call for a regulatory overhaul of the industry and scolded bankers for opposing the tighter oversight in legislation moving through Congress.

"What I'd say to these executives is this: Instead of setting a phalanx of lobbyists to fight this proposal or employing an army of lawyers and accountants to help evade the fee, I'd suggest you might want to consider simply meeting your responsibility," Obama said.

I wonder if Fannie / Freddie get to pony up too ? Somehow I'm guessing not.

Werbung:
There are two key points that most people just don't get:

• Any tax placed on banks and investment houses will be passed on to the consumers, employees, and shareholders. This might as well be dipping right into our pockets, since every one of us uses a bank.
  • People have the wrong idea about the big bonuses that everyone wants to hate. Most of these bonuses are nothing more than sales commissions that have been earned by hitting forcasted goals during the previous year. If you were a car salesman or a shoe salesman and the President said that all of your commissions would be taxed at 70%, how would you like that?
Much of the TARP money has been paid back with interest. The money that is costing us the most went to Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and AIG which all go to pay bonuses. The rest of the pain is from the auto industry. How about taxing the wages of Union workers since they are part owners in GM now? Not a chance...;)

• Any tax placed on banks and investment houses will be passed on to the consumers, employees, and shareholders. This might as well be dipping right into our pockets, since every one of us uses a bank.
  • People have the wrong idea about the big bonuses that everyone wants to hate. Most of these bonuses are nothing more than sales commissions that have been earned by hitting forcasted goals during the previous year. If you were a car salesman or a shoe salesman and the President said that all of your commissions would be taxed at 70%, how would you like that?
Much of the TARP money has been paid back with interest. The money that is costing us the most went to Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and AIG which all go to pay bonuses. The rest of the pain is from the auto industry. How about taxing the wages of Union workers since they are part owners in GM now? Not a chance...;)

yes, we'll never see the auto, F&F or AIG money again.

and every customer at those 50 banks will be paying those new taxes.

are you critical of one party or both? if you are simply "playing favorites" you know u look so childish... newsflash.... both parties are comprimised! WWE is fake...and so is the false left right...

HW bush is not god ok?

ill give you a minute to have your awakening.

are you critical of one party or both? if you are simply "playing favorites" you know u look so childish... newsflash.... both parties are comprimised! WWE is fake...and so is the false left right...

HW bush is not god ok?

ill give you a minute to have your awakening.

I'll speak for myself...I don't like either of the two major parties. I've been clear on my opposition to the financing of campaigns and the clear bribery by special interest.

Now, I'll suggest you stop being so rude. You have some interesting points that are worth discussing, but if you continue to be so hostile, no one will bother with you.

If I am a shoe salesmen making a few million in Commission after the government just saved my job? pretty good about it.

Banks that needed bailout got tarp.
Tarp was to make bank healthy
Once healthy, that bank gets taxed by Govt.
To compensate for tax they raise fees and lose customers
Now said bank is not healthy any longer
Bank needs another bailout

This is another hair-brained idea by the idiot Obama. You know, the one who never ran a business.

See when you run a business you understand economics a lot better than when you don't or haven't.

Werbung:
Banks that needed bailout got tarp.
Tarp was to make bank healthy
Once healthy, that bank gets taxed by Govt.
To compensate for tax they raise fees and lose customers
Now said bank is not healthy any longer
Bank needs another bailout

This is another hair-brained idea by the idiot Obama. You know, the one who never ran a business.

See when you run a business you understand economics a lot better than when you don't or haven't.

Actually TARP was to buy up toxic assets.
Never happened. Assets still toxic.

Its a bill of attainder, punative, illegal. Childish.

Back