Reason vs. Faith...

Werbung:
Reason vs. Faith---can they live side by side without conflict? For me the answer is a resounding no.

video clip

Interesting premise to consider. I actually think that they can... but you have to have a very open mind. Bear with me here... :)

I think for instance one could be extremely scientifically based (as I am) but still leave open the possibility that there could be something out there they have yet to learn

If forced to a straight up or down argument I personally would have to go with science every time. But I can still respect others "faith" in whatever. In fact I think in some ways I'd actually like to be convinced... not brainwashed... really scholastically convinced. But that's never been the case.

To me this is why separation of church and state is so important. Government has enough problems with just trying to set up some semblance of fair laws and procedures without all the widely varying religious beliefs that exist colliding in a "God loves us best" values battle.

Give me your feedback my friend. I'm interested in your take. :)

Interesting premise to consider. I actually think that they can... but you have to have a very open mind. Bear with me here... :)

I think for instance one could be extremely scientifically based (as I am) but still leave open the possibility that there could be something out there they have yet to learn
the possibility of what? the supernatural? that clearly sets up a conflict.

top gun said:
If forced to a straight up or down argument I personally would have to go with science every time. But I can still respect others "faith" in whatever. In fact I think in some ways I'd actually like to be convinced... not brainwashed... really scholastically convinced. But that's never been the case.
I'll go out on a limb here---bear with me[:eek:]...
not gonna happen in this lifetime.
:rolleyes:

top gun said:
To me this is why separation of church and state is so important. Government has enough problems with just trying to set up some semblance of fair laws and procedures without all the widely varying religious beliefs that exist colliding in a "God loves us best" values battle.

Give me your feedback my friend. I'm interested in your take.
faith is a subjective thing that has no place in public policy. of course one's faith influences things and I am okay with that up to a point, the point being religious traditions, tenets and doctrine as civil law.

I am no fan of Ayn's Objectivism, but they use very credible and valid arguments in their case against faith being reasonable.

here is a link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xKGZMwaIG8
fyi,

and i am a liberal
:cool:

the possibility of what? the supernatural? that clearly sets up a conflict.

I'll go out on a limb here---bear with me...
not gonna happen in this lifetime.

faith is a subjective thing that has no place in public policy. of course one's faith influences things and I am okay with that up to a point, the point being religious traditions, tenets and doctrine as civil law.

I am no fan of Ayn's Objectivism, but they use very credible and valid arguments in their case against faith being reasonable.

here is a link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xKGZMwaIG8
fyi,

and i am a liberal
:cool:

OK dude... back off... I'm on your side! :)

All I was saying was I can respect someone else's belief in the "supernatural" while I personally do not believe it has any place in public policy.

Whew........ even my own team tackles me!
:D

I am not sure I understand the question. As far as I know all the people I meet are real.

Are you trying to ask if I know of any people who are rational and have faith? Then almost all of them are.

I guess your signature leads me to believe you have nothing in common with the people you claim to meet. I mean no offense, but...

Werbung:
I guess your signature leads me to believe you have nothing in common with the people you claim to meet. I mean no offense, but...

You and I obviously come from such different places that we are going to need to work extra hard to understand each other.

My signature means that I think Sen. Clinton would like to make choices for the American people that they should make for themselves. It also indicates that this is a quality like communism to a degree.

The people I meet who are both rational and have faith may or may not agree with this. I just don't see the relevance.

Back