religion or politics?

triken

What do you usually do if someone brings up religion or politics?
Say you're talking with a friend who has different beliefs than you, and somehow religion or politics comes into the conversation. You don't want to argue with them because they're your friend, but you don't want to be wrong. What do you usually do? And if you can't simply change the subject because they bring it up again, what do you do?

Werbung:
Say you're talking with a friend who has different beliefs than you, and somehow religion or politics comes into the conversation. You don't want to argue with them because they're your friend, but you don't want to be wrong. What do you usually do? And if you can't simply change the subject because they bring it up again, what do you do?

If you've discussed the subjects, then you can politely agree to disagree. One of my friends is right-wing, Republican, Mormon and we have--and continue to--discuss politics and religion, but we do it in a friendly way. I'm not wrong because he's right or vice versa, what he does may be right for him and not for me. What I value in him is that he's honest, hardworking, and thoughtful, none of those things are damaged by his politics or religion.

People don't have to agree in order to get along, that's one of the divisive fallacies infesting our culture right now: we seem to feel the need to demonize anyone who doesn't agree with us. Why? This is America and we are all entitled to our opinion and we have the right to express it--that doesn't mean that we are less American than the next person. Actually, the opposite should be true, we should be able to embrace our differences as being one of our strengths.

Werbung:

I always start off saying I have respect for anyone's religious beliefs and that there are a lot of good lessens to be learned in every religion.

BUT...

Although I used to follow a religion I personally got away from believing in any particular religion because of what I kept seeing as scientific contradictions and what I started to see as man himself seriously tainting the message.

Then if they want to go back and forth a little with how's and why's... I do that. Or if they let it drop... then so do I.

Back