Rock is Dead

Werbung:
I'm hopeful that it's not dead but well hidden. There are good acts hanging around in the fringe. Carbon Leaf ARE not exactly young but very good.

I blame the music business for committing suicide.

Old Gene wanted to hold onto an unsupportable model that would retain a payday far in excess of what his old band enjoyed. So Michael Jackson et al pushed the envelope til it burst. But the record companies didn't have to take the deals.

So now bands like Carbon Leaf Joe Bonnamassa etc produce and market themselves with no record company. They have nobody controlling them. That's huge to artists. May not be billionaires but they're making a living and making music they want to make.

The music biz is dead but it gas only itself to blame.

It think the main problem might be the people. Good music is produced but only niche audiences want to listen to it. Therefore, you won't hear the good music on mainstream radio stations. For some reason, most people don't want to hear new groups in the fashion of the Beatles or Led Zeppelin.

It think the main problem might be the people. Good music is produced but only niche audiences want to listen to it. Therefore, you won't hear the good music on mainstream radio stations. For some reason, most people don't want to hear new groups in the fashion of the Beatles or Led Zeppelin.
You probably can make a case that music radio is dead. The offspring is too impatient to wait through ads. So am I for that matter. Actually so us the missus. Those two use Internet radio. Not Pandora but another one.

As you say, there are some decent bands still out there but I just think that these days people are just used to listening to bland, generic pop music but that's because that's what the record companies are producing and selling the most of.

Radio stations are given a list of songs to play, and its taken out of the DJ's hands and its all about advertising and making money.

As you say, there are some decent bands still out there but I just think that these days people are just used to listening to bland, generic pop music but that's because that's what the record companies are producing and selling the most of.

Radio stations are given a list of songs to play, and its taken out of the DJ's hands and its all about advertising and making money.
That's what the music business was and it's dead or dying. Lousy pop music has been the norm for decades. But if it has a hook and makes you tap your toe that's all they needed. For every Beatles There Were 10000 Gary Puckett and the a Union Gaps.
At the risk of being flamed, rap hurts music as there is so little good. No musicianship and artistry.
Maybe a new music biz needs to rise from the ashes. The current model is not viable and that's not going to change.

Gary Puckett kind of gives me the creeps, especially his "Young Girl" song. :unsure: I guess it was a different time. It would certainly raise eyebrows now.

Nowadays a few artists are videotaping concerts to sell on the internet. For some really popular bands, it seems to be making up for lost record sales. Pretty much that would be the only way to go nowadays, if they want to keep a high salary.

Last edited:
Nowadays a few artists are videotaping concerts to sell on the internet. For some really popular bands, it seems to be making up for lost record sales. Pretty much that would be the only way to go nowadays, if they want to keep a high salary.
They produce, manufacture, market and sell their own cds, dvds merchandise. Then they tour to support sales. May not generate as much income but without the overhead they're doing fine. Record companies are not as people no longer need them. At this point Simmons is more record company than artist so he feels it.

Werbung:
It's true that anyone can buy an audience nowadays. For instance, someone could use Google AdWords or BingAds and draw people to a website, or promote a YouTube video or Facebook page. Nonetheless, you better make sure you got great stuff, or risk looking like a fool.

Back