Russia To Ban US From Space Station

GBFan

Russia cast doubt on the long-term future of the International Space Station, a showcase of post-Cold War cooperation, as it retaliated on Tuesday against U.S. sanctions over Ukraine.
Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Moscow would reject a U.S. request to prolong the orbiting station's use beyond 2020. It will also bar Washington from using Russian-made rocket engines to launch military satellites.

Moscow took the action, which also included suspending operation of GPS satellite navigation system sites on its territory from June, in response to U.S. plans to deny export licenses for high-technology items that could help the Russian military.

"We are very concerned about continuing to develop high-tech projects with such an unreliable partner as the United States, which politicizes everything," Rogozin told a news conference.

Washington wants to keep the $100 billion, 15 nation space station project in use until at least 2024, four years beyond the previous target.

Moscow's plan to part ways on a project which was supposed to end the "space race" underlines how relations between the former Cold War rivals have deteriorated since Russia annexed Ukraine's Crimea region in March.

Since the end of the Space Shuttle project, Russian Soyuz spacecraft have been the only way U.S. astronauts can get to the space station, whose crews include mostly Americans and Russians, as well as visitors from other countries.

Werbung:
So, the cold war heats up. I like how they object to the US "politicizing everything", such as Russia having invaded a neighboring country. It's difficult not to politicize something like that.

So, the cold war heats up. I like how they object to the US "politicizing everything", such as Russia having invaded a neighboring country. It's difficult not to politicize something like that.
aw give them their due, its a great bit of wordsmithing. BO overuses the term clouding its meanin among those who dont know better. They play poor old BO like a Stratavarius. (I know I spelled that wrong but too lazy to lookmit up.)

The US doesn't currently have any way of getting US astronauts to and from the space station. Russia does.
I think he was looking at it more from them being mean not to give our boys a ride. Of course if you shutter your space transportation capability you effectively abandon whatever you left out there.

It's high time the nation for the nation that put the first men on the moon once again to once again take the lead in space exploration.

IMO, of course.

It's high time the nation for the nation that put the first men on the moon once again to once again take the lead in space exploration.

IMO, of course.
A couple conditions...
A. Have a goal
B. Get a handle on spending
Pur a man on the moon was ok back in the day because we couldnt really know what else might be good. We should be able to come up with something.
The fact is we cant afford it. I know, you never can but we are well over the line now to where the credit rating is in trouble and we.have to print money since we cant borrow it. These conditions are simply too dire to ignore.

A couple conditions...
A. Have a goal
Pur a man on the moon was ok back in the day because we couldnt really know what else might be good. We should be able to come up with something.
The fact is we cant afford it. I know, you never can but we are well over the line now to where the credit rating is in trouble and we.have to print money since we cant borrow it. These conditions are simply too dire to ignore.

Actually, given the spin-off impacts of the space programs, it may be the one thing we CAN afford ... at least, we would get positive return on our investment.

A couple conditions...
A. Have a goal

What we can't afford are subsidies of unprofitable industries, sending money to all of the third world governments to waste, any more undeclared wars, keeping more people in jail than any other nation, our overly expensive health care system, the most expensive military on the planet, the hugely expensive and largely unsuccessful war on drugs, and the war on poverty.

What we should be able to afford is a program that has as yet unknown spinoffs for future technology.

Russia owns the space station. If you want Americans in space build your own. It might mean more taxes.

Werbung:
Back