Sen. Boxers Ignorance and Arrogance

TheFranklinParty

Isn't anyone else appalled by the fact a United States Senator doesn't even know when she is given respect. A Brigadier General acknowledges Senator Boxer by saying "ma'am" and she thinks it is some type of sexist slur and she has the audacity of dressing the soldier down demanding she be called Senator because she worked to hard to earn that title.

First, if you're going to deal with the military then understand the terminology used. Second, being elected is not the same as earning something. Finally, if you lack that much self confidence then maybe you should step down and let someone who isn't so self absorbed do the job for the citizens of your district.

Werbung:
Isn't anyone else appalled by the fact a United States Senator doesn't even know when she is given respect. A Brigadier General acknowledges Senator Boxer by saying "ma'am" and she thinks it is some type of sexist slur and she has the audacity of dressing the soldier down demanding she be called Senator because she worked to hard to earn that title.
While I havent seen a clip, or read a transcript I generally frown on this sort of behavior by elected officials.
First, if you're going to deal with the military then understand the terminology used.
Again you and I dont disagree here. Her nitpicking like this serves no real purpose and only works to fracture relationships and make the honest transfer of information and policy more difficult. Boxer needs to check her ego.
Second, being elected is not the same as earning something.
Here is where we disagree. Being elected, means you won the necessary support to mandate your appointment to a specific position that often times involved considerable influence. So winning elections does account to earning something. It earns influence at the very least. Going from there the possibilities are endless.
Finally, if you lack that much self confidence then maybe you should step down and let someone who isn't so self absorbed do the job for the citizens of your district.
Again, I dont disagree that Boxer probably crossed the line. But I will draw short of calling for her resignation.

so if your in the military calling someone by there title and saying mam is respect? And yes you do earn being called Senator, and yes should be called by your title.

I couldn't disagree with more...Senator Boxer has raised over $8M for her campaign and $1.5M of it from Lawyers and Law Firm PACs. She hasn't added one penny of her own money. While her counterparts were spending their vacation trying to promote and define the Health Bill she was promoting her book...My issue is that respect is earned not bought! Her Senate seat like Harry Reid's is bought and paid for by PAC's and 527s. Much of the money comes from out of State. She is famous, or infamous, for her antics and lack of knowledge on key issues. So again, what did she do to earn the title Senator???

There are definitely well informed and respectable Senators that earn their paycheck and had careers that provide them with the knowledge and wisdom to lead this country; she just isn't one of them.

I couldn't disagree with more...Senator Boxer has raised over $8M for her campaign and $1.5M of it from Lawyers and Law Firm PACs. She hasn't added one penny of her own money. While her counterparts were spending their vacation trying to promote and define the Health Bill she was promoting her book...My issue is that respect is earned not bought! Her Senate seat like Harry Reid's is bought and paid for by PAC's and 527s. Much of the money comes from out of State. She is famous, or infamous, for her antics and lack of knowledge on key issues.
You and I can play the runaround and trade posts about examples of some of the more gawdy behavior conducted by any number of elected officials of all stripe and rank.
So again, what did she do to earn the title Senator???
She has repeatedly won elections 3x for Senator. She has recieved more votes than anyone in a statewide election in California. She will likely win in 2010 when she is up for re-election. Personally I think her views concerning the second amendment stink, but that doesnt make her any less of a Senator.
There are definitely well informed and respectable Senators that earn their paycheck and had careers that provide them with the knowledge and wisdom to lead this country; she just isn't one of them.
Again this is a judgement call. But there should certainly be a certain amount of respect if not for the person, then for the office that person holds.
While I was generally against Bush from summer of 03 on, I still respected the office he held. Same goes for Palin and all sorts of politicians I dont agree with.

I saw this on the news when it happened, now I admit I already could not stand this sick twisted wench but I did not know I could like her even less than I already did. But apparently I can and I do :)

She is one of the handful of senators/congressman who really just need to go!

Hey Gen, have you ever seen her debate on the senate floor when she said a baby is not a baby until you pick it up and claim it?

I would really like to have that video... I still have a hard time believing any woman or human could say that about a child.

I couldn't disagree with more...Senator Boxer has raised over $8M for her campaign and $1.5M of it from Lawyers and Law Firm PACs. She hasn't added one penny of her own money. While her counterparts were spending their vacation trying to promote and define the Health Bill she was promoting her book...My issue is that respect is earned not bought! Her Senate seat like Harry Reid's is bought and paid for by PAC's and 527s. Much of the money comes from out of State. She is famous, or infamous, for her antics and lack of knowledge on key issues. So again, what did she do to earn the title Senator???

I will make it easy...SHE WON THE ELECTION . More people voted for her in her area, and that his how she earned it. I know , hard to figure out. what did Bush ever do to earn anything? maybe the military should have just said no to going to Iraq and while you may have been elected MR Bush ( don't call him Commander in Chief or President) you have not earned it, so we dont listen to you.

Yeah, see I think her nitpicky behavior does zero good. It shows she has confidence issues. Either way, I would be willing to bet anyone a beer that the next time a ranking officer will address her as Senator.
I think in most cases and the vast majority of individuals who are routinely addressed in a formal matter, that Sir or Maam is appropriate.

Yeah, see I think her nitpicky behavior does zero good. It shows she has confidence issues. Either way, I would be willing to bet anyone a beer that the next time a ranking officer will address her as Senator.
I think in most cases and the vast majority of individuals who are routinely addressed in a formal matter, that Sir or Maam is appropriate.

I think it would be hard to say without being there for more, like if he called 3 other men Senator...then her mam....vs if he said Sir and Mam to all of them

I think it would be hard to say without being there for more, like if he called 3 other men Senator...then her mam....vs if he said Sir and Mam to all of them

Valid point. I dont think the General was intending to disrespect her at all. I think he found Senator Boxer:cool: on a bad day. Id be curious to know if she has corrected other people who are testifying in front of her in other cases.

Werbung:
I will make it easy...SHE WON THE ELECTION . More people voted for her in her area, and that his how she earned it. I know , hard to figure out. what did Bush ever do to earn anything? maybe the military should have just said no to going to Iraq and while you may have been elected MR Bush ( don't call him Commander in Chief or President) you have not earned it, so we dont listen to you.

Let me point out that the Office of the President of the United States is a military position. In this case, you earn the right to be called Mr. President just because you're elected. That position is the leader of our military, so all all military rules apply.

On the other hand a legislator does not have that same role or responsibility and does not fall under these rules. The General was being respectful, but she has no authority or command over him, so by protocol he does not have to use her title in addressing her.

By the way the the President and the General work for you and I, the citizens of the United States. Senator Boxer works for the people of California. She should keep that in mind next time she wants to dress down one of ours.

Back