Senate voted today to end tax credits for ethanol

PLC1

Staff member

Senate votes to repeal ethanol tax credit

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate voted Thursday to repeal tax credits for producing ethanol, a vote that budget cutters hope will demonstrate a growing appetite in Congress to end special interest tax breaks to help reduce government borrowing.

The Senate voted 73-27 to repeal the $5 billion annual subsidy, just two days after rejecting an identical measure. The tax credit provides 45 cents a gallon to oil refiners who mix gasoline with ethanol, a renewable, liquid fuel additive that comes mainly from corn in the U.S.

Five billion sounds like a lot, but it really is just a tiny baby step toward ending deficit spending. It's a start at least.

Werbung:
Yes, a good start.

It may also help to point out to people that (a) Ethanol is a lot more expensive than people thought... which may lead them to check further and find that (b) it takes more than a gallon of gasoline/diesel to produce each gallon of ethanol, including fuel for tillers, harvesters, transporation trucks/trains, processing equipment etc.

Cutting govt spending is good. Cutting govt spending that produces zero benefit (or even negative benefit, like ethanol), is far better.

Ethanol was one of the many "green" hoaxes. It was sold as environment-friendly when it's not - produces more environmental pollutants than the oil that it replaces. Helped drive up food prices.

im confused , acorn is happy about what if done only by Dems would be called...

I'm in favor of ending all subsidies and tax exemptions... Of course that would drastically limit the power/ability of politicians to confer political favors on their political allies, while punishing political adversaries, and signify a radical shift in our current corporatist model of governance.

By the way, do you support or oppose corporatism?

Ethanol was one of the many "green" hoaxes. It was sold as environment-friendly when it's not - produces more environmental pollutants than the oil that it replaces. Helped drive up food prices.

Ethanol is awesome in it's own right. The problem is politicians who, in their infinite wisdom, are trying to force a round peg into a square hole by mandating blends of ethanol with gasoline. Compounding this problem is the fact that they have chosen to use land based crops for the production of ethanol, leading to the food vs. fuel debate.

I designed an offshore platform that runs entirely on ethanol using gas turbines. Ethanol is perfectly suited as a fuel for turbines but definitely a poor choice of fuel for internal combustion engines. My offshore platform uses seaweed/kelp to produce ethanol, rather than corn, sugar, or other land crops.

Since 75% of the world is covered in water, and only 25% land (a fraction of which can sustain farming), using seaweed/kelp is an obvious choice for the mass production of ethanol. Unlike wind or solar, ethanol can be stored, making it the only logical renewable resource for the mass production of power generation.

My platform is designed to harvest 104,000 lbs of seaweed/kelp per day which becomes over 2400 gallons of ethanol. Based on a daily production of 2400 gallons of ethanol, turbines could potentially produce enough electricity to power between 937 and 2187 average American Residences. The math on those calculations:

2400 gallons of ethanol (LHV of 76,000 btu) burned in a turbine of 28% efficiency = +/- 60,000 kwh

2400 gallons of ethanol (LHV of 76,000 btu) burned in a turbine of 60% efficiency = +/- 140,000 kwh

Average monthly consumption of US Residence = 940 kwh (rounded up from 938)

Daily consumption of average US Residence (940 /30) = 32 (rounded up from 31.3)

Anyway... Ethanol is best used in turbines. Attempts to use it as a replacement for gasoline is insanity. Ethanol could easily make using large scale wind and solar farms (which take up huge space), as well as coal, natural gas, and other fuels used for large scale energy generation, obsolete.

While coal and natural gas would still have useful functions as fuels, the myth of wind and solar farms being a viable solution to our large scale energy requirements would finally be put to rest and we can stop wasting precious resources chasing that fairytale.

I'm in favor of ending all subsidies and tax exemptions... Of course that would drastically limit the power/ability of politicians to confer political favors on their political allies, while punishing political adversaries, and signify a radical shift in our current corporatist model of governance.

By the way, do you support or oppose corporatism?

First again, I agree with the bill..and ending giving money to prop up Ethanol. think we need to put money into alt fuels, but ethanol gets to much focus do to one reason...Farmers in Iowa...and where Iowa happens to sit for Primary's.

I use to be far more to the right then I am today, and I feared the big bad government...then I found out there was someone far bigger, more powerful, and with even less constraints....Big Business...I think they are buying both parties...one just happens to be more bought and paid for then the other.

ethanol gets to much focus do to one reason...Farmers in Iowa...and where Iowa happens to sit for Primary's.
Oh so true... I'm sure it's a coincidence though... It's not like politicians would whore themselves out for votes or money... :rolleyes:

I use to be far more to the right then I am today, and I feared the big bad government...then I found out there was someone far bigger, more powerful, and with even less constraints....Big Business...

Without the government's ability to both punish and reward big business, corporations wouldn't spend a dime to get a politician elected. By thinking it's a problem with business and by giving government more power to confer special privileges on, or enact punitive policies against, business, you're only making the problem worse, not better.

If you disagree... Then tell me... Why would a company spend a single dime to get anyone elected if the politicians were powerless to offer them protection or political favors in return?

Werbung:
Back