So 38 states might legislate against the new Socialized Medicine Act?

Little-Acorn

I keep hearing that as many as 38 states are preparing legislation banning the new Socialized Medicine act from their borders. Who can blame them? An unconstitutional law is no law at all.

But 38 is an interesting number. It's slightly more than 3/4 of the states. Where have we heard that number before? At least, those of us who have read and understood the Constitution?

That document says that Congress can propose amendments to the Constitution itself, by passing them with a 2/3 majority of each house. Then the proposals go to the states, where 3/4 of them must ratify them to make them stick.

Anybody think the present Congress will muster 2/3 majorites to repeal Socialized Medicine? (snicker)

But, that antique document also says that's not the only way to get amendments proposed. 2/3 of the STATES can also call for a national Constitutional Convention... and if they do, Congress MUST call one, whether it likes it or not. And that ConCon can propose any amendments it likes... again, whether ANY part of the Fed govt likes it or not.

A ConCon could be an interesting development, especially if spawned by this Health Care travesty.

A ConCon, of course, cannot modify the Constitution by itself. All it can do is propose amendments, just as Congress can propose them with 2/3 majorities of each house.

Any amendment that comes from a ConCon (or from Congress) must still be ratified by 3/4 of the states, or else it goes in the trash can. But if the 38 we keep hearing about would like to put their money where their mouth is, this could get interesting.

And there is NO LIMIT to what a ConCon can propose. If 38 states see fit to ratify, then it (and they) can make ANY law they want. These 37 or so, seem to be in an anti-Federal mood... which, all things considered, isn't a bad idea nowadays. How about an amendment that declares the EPA, OSHA, etc. edicts to be null and void in any state that has not given explicit agreement to them? Or even an amendment that simply dissolves those agencies... and others?

The amendment process was deliberately designed to give the highest office in the land (the Presidency) NO voice in any amendment, either proposal or ratification. The entire country was based on the notion that the people, far removed from government, were the best arbiters of their own lives AND the running of the country. For that reason, the Framers even provided a means of amending the Supreme Law of the Land that completely cuts out ALL of the Federal government: States can call a national ConCon to propose amendment, following which the States can then ratify what they proposed... and if the Fed Govt they just modified, doesn't like it, too bad.

Liberals in the Fed govt (in both parties) have been ignoring and violating Constitutional provisions for decades - and just added to the total today. If they start trying to ignore or violate the purely-state-based amendment process too... we could have a real problem.

Of course, the idea of States unilaterally exercising supreme power like that, flies in the face of everything those far-left liberals hold holy. If the Federal government thinks it's a good idea to take the choice out of our hands of whether to buy health insurance, is it beyond consideration that they might think it's an equally good idea to take the choice out of our hands, how to modify the Fed Govt itself, particularly if those liberals don't like the proposed changes? Either act is equally a violation of the Constitution... and they've already done one of them.

Werbung:
Well if that's the case how about no child left behind too as well? They need to challenge that as well. If these states are arguing that it's unconstitutional to force some to buy health insurance they why do all 50 states require that you have Auto Insurance or at least liability??? I mean wouldn't the same apply to auto insurance as well???

Well if that's the case how about no child left behind too as well? They need to challenge that as well. If these states are arguing that it's unconstitutional to force some to buy health insurance they why do all 50 states require that you have Auto Insurance or at least liability??? I mean wouldn't the same apply to auto insurance as well???

The federal government does not mandate you buy auto insurance. That is a State government function.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62L32E20100322

So far 12 States, and I heard it is now up to 14, have filed suit against the fed. One so far is a Democrat.

http://cbs4.com/local/health.reform.lawsuit.2.1583725.html

An unconstitutional law is no law at all.
Sean Hannity & Glenn Beck do not have Judicial Review.....The SCOTUS does. A law is a law unless & until the SCOTUS says it isn't.

Anybody think the present Congress will muster 2/3 majorites to repeal Socialized Medicine? (snicker)
You GOP losers couldn't even muster a simple majority to defeat it! (As they say in Texas.....you GOP types are "All Hat & No Cattle." )

What an inept President and Speaker.
With a majority in the house and senate they had to find ways to bribe and lie force some members to sacrifice their seats to vote for this bill.

How utterly pathetic.

Look how much hornswaggling had to get done.. and then reconciliation too.

You progressives are funny. You're proud of a bill that got signed into law this way. I'd be ashamed if I was you.

Trickery, bribes, intimidation... that's all they've got. And America knows it too.

We're not the collective.​
.....Nor do you (even) recognize the obvious.

rush_lemmings_001.jpg

:rolleyes:

There you go again Shaman. Quit fantasizing about Rush already.
I hear Keith Olberman is more your type. A freakin loon.

The federal government does not mandate you buy auto insurance. That is a State government function.

So far 12 States, and I heard it is now up to 14, have filed suit against the fed. One so far is a Democrat.

A state function that needs to be taken before the SCOTUS as well since some of these same state that want to sue over Health Care reform can someone how justify with a straight face that mandatory Auto Insurance needs to be on books??? I say they lost the argument the minute they made Auto insurance mandatory? Show me in the U.S. constitution and any other state constitution that Auto insurance is mandatory?

and even then you don't have to, you just don't get to operate that vehicle on public roads. all you have to be is alive to have to buy health insurance or the fine. apples and refrigerators to compare it to car insurance.

It's not apples to Refrigerators. It's mandatory at least according to all 50 states. Let me ask you something DT. Show me in the Constitution that it's mandatory to drive on public roads with or with out Auto Insurance? It's the same question that these states are going to ask the SCOTUS to review in regards to Health Care Reform is it not? They lost the argument the minute they made Auto insurance mandatory.

Werbung:
It's not apples to Refrigerators. It's mandatory at least according to all 50 states. Let me ask you something DT. Show me in the Constitution that it's mandatory to drive on public roads with or with out Auto Insurance? It's the same question that these states are going to ask the SCOTUS to review in regards to Health Care Reform is it not? They lost the argument the minute they made Auto insurance mandatory.

not everyone drives, and no one is forced to. your argument is stupid

Back