so how did they "pay for" the entitlement fee cut ?

dogtowner

Staff member
good reason to vote out anyone who voted for this

why settle for a few bucks from rich people (that will never materialize) when you can screw the middle class for ten years ? bets that it gets extended to forever ?

At the time, both President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner lauded the move to avoid a tax increase for millions of working Americans.

But there's something the politicians weren't bragging about - the fact that they're paying for the two-month tax cut with what has turned into a brand new fee on home buyers.

The new fee is a minimum of one-tenth of 1 percent on Fannie Mae- and Freddie Mac-backed loans, and is likely to go much higher.

It will be imposed for the next 10 years on most mortgages and refinancings and it lasts for the life of the loan.

For every $200,000, it amounts to an extra $15 dollars a month.

It's bad news for Patty Anderson, who's buying a home in Virginia.

Anderson will save a couple hundred dollars from having her payroll tax cut extended but her mortgage broker told her the new fee would cost her almost $9,500.

"I was absolutely startled that it would add up to that much," she said.

The $35.7 billion collected in fees won't go into the Social Security fund to replace the lost payroll tax. It goes to the general treasury where Congress can spend it however they please.

Werbung:
good reason to vote out anyone who voted for this

why settle for a few bucks from rich people (that will never materialize) when you can screw the middle class for ten years ? bets that it gets extended to forever ?

She must have a really high mortgage then. . .
Because if she had a $100,000 mortgage, the "fee" would cost her $100.00 a year (or lest than $10.00 a month) for 10 years, which comes to $900.00 over ten years. . .

Now. . if she decides to get a mortgage for $1 million dollars, it's her choice. . .and then it would cost her $9,000 over the ten years!

But since the interest rates is about 1/2 of what they were under Bush. . .she is still FAR ahead of where she was 4 years ago!

Because if she had a $100,000 mortgage, the "fee" would cost her $100.00 a year (or lest than $10.00 a month) for 10 years, which comes to $900.00 over ten years. . .

Now. . if she decides to get a mortgage for $1 million dollars, it's her choice. . .and then it would cost her $9,000 over the ten years!

But since the interest rates is about 1/2 of what they were under Bush. . .she is still FAR ahead of where she was 4 years ago!

price houses in Northern Va. my step brother paid 500k for a fixer upper. a REAL fixer upper. and that was 15 years ago.

He might want to consider moving to a new house for the same price today. . . at a 3% mortgage!

226 BANFF SPRINGS PL

CHANTILLY, VA 20152​
$499,999​

• 4 bds​
  • 4 ba​
  • Listing #: LO7766221
LITTLE RIVER PRESERVE IN CHANTILLY - YARDLEY WITH 2 CAR GARAGE, FEATURES 4 BEDROOMS, 3.5 BATHS, GRANITE COUNTERS AND HARDWOOD FLOORS, FAMILY ROOM FIRE...
Listing courtesy of Brookfield Management Washington LLC

He might want to consider moving to a new house for the same price today. . . at a 3% mortgage!

CHANTILLY, VA 20152

$499,999
  • 4 bds
  • 4 ba
  • Listing #: LO7766221
LITTLE RIVER PRESERVE IN CHANTILLY - YARDLEY WITH 2 CAR GARAGE, FEATURES 4 BEDROOMS, 3.5 BATHS, GRANITE COUNTERS AND HARDWOOD FLOORS, FAMILY ROOM FIRE...
Listing courtesy of Brookfield Management Washington LLC

don't think he wants a 3-4 hr commute. thats what you pay for up there.

don't think he wants a 3-4 hr commute. thats what you pay for up there.

Don't think you mentionned where he worked. However ther are some very nice houses in the same webside that are located in Arlington or Alexandria!

I guess we all make choices. . . And if we can afford a million dollars mortgage, I'm sure we can, IF WE decide to rfinance to obtain a loser mortgage rate, the 1/10 of a percent extra cost to our mortgage. . .or we are probably buying over our head!

Don't think you mentionned where he worked. However ther are some very nice houses in the same webside that are located in Arlington or Alexandria!

I guess we all make choices. . . And if we can afford a million dollars mortgage, I'm sure we can, IF WE decide to rfinance to obtain a loser mortgage rate, the 1/10 of a percent extra cost to our mortgage. . .or we are probably buying over our head!

be that as it may, this looks to be doing a great deal more than "paying for" this two month deal. Not to mention adding obstacles to a housing market already on life support.

be that as it may, this looks to be doing a great deal more than "paying for" this two month deal. Not to mention adding obstacles to a housing market already on life support.

Sure. . .being able to get a 3% mortgage, and the new effort President Obama is making to help people refinance is being negated by that 1/10th of 1% "tax"!

And this "tax" at least makes sense: people with little means pay little, people with big means pay more!

I hope there will be more changes in the tax code regarding mortgages. I believe that interest on mortgages up to $400.000 (or the level of "jumbo loan," which varies around the US to account for cost of properties in different areas) should continue to be tax deductible, but that the amount over that "base mortgage" (or the part of the mortgage that is "jumbo") should lose the tax deduction.

It would not only make people think twice about building and occupying those huge, good for nothing except using more energy and making a much bigger foot print on our environment. And still. . .it wouldn't keep people who want those mega mansion from exercising that right. . . . but at their own expenses!

Sure. . .being able to get a 3% mortgage, and the new effort President Obama is making to help people refinance is being negated by that 1/10th of 1% "tax"!

And this "tax" at least makes sense: people with little means pay little, people with big means pay more!

I hope there will be more changes in the tax code regarding mortgages. I believe that interest on mortgages up to $400.000 (or the level of "jumbo loan," which varies around the US to account for cost of properties in different areas) should continue to be tax deductible, but that the amount over that "base mortgage" (or the part of the mortgage that is "jumbo") should lose the tax deduction.

It would not only make people think twice about building and occupying those huge, good for nothing except using more energy and making a much bigger foot print on our environment. And still. . .it wouldn't keep people who want those mega mansion from exercising that right. . . . but at their own expenses!

the interest rate is beyond BOs ability to control and whatever programs he might be doing for borrowers are not "paid for" by this. remember that people of more humble means also buy homes and as you like to point out, that extra hurts them more. people of means can already buy homes, its those that are closer to the limits of borrowing that the market is missing. and there are more of them.

The story says the fee lasts the life of the loan -- which is probably 30 years -- and on $100,000 (which is extremely low) -- would be $2,700.00.

Apparently the average mortgage debt in the US is right around $200,000 -- which would mean an additional $5,200 added to the bill.

Assuming she can get a job -- and interest rates would not be so low if the economy was really about to expand.

In my opinion -- if you can't put 20% down you have no business buying a house. If we have saturated the market with houses no one can afford -- then bulldoze them.

Werbung:
The story says the fee lasts the life of the loan -- which is probably 30 years -- and on $100,000 (which is extremely low) -- would be $2,700.00.

sure enough I misread, the program itself extends 10 years.

Apparently the average mortgage debt in the US is right around $200,000 -- which would mean an additional $5,200 added to the bill.

Assuming she can get a job -- and interest rates would not be so low if the economy was really about to expand.

and the rates are artificially low due to fed action.

Back