so much for free speech II

dogtowner

Staff member
is it a sign of th4 apocalypse when free speech dies in Texas ?

as I understand it, valedictorians are the smartest kids in a graduating class which is kind of why they are selected to speak at graduations to begin with.

well things are a little out of whack in the People's Republic of Texas.

seems student speakers were told that if they deviated from their prepared and authorized remarks, their microphones would be turned off. and thats exactly what happened to valedictorian and soon to be Naval Academy freshman & Joshua High School graduate Remington Reimer.

Seems the kid who will be defending the Constitution in the Navy decided to talk about Constitutional rights being taken away had his microphone turned off.

well

hats off to young master Reimer for his coming duty to his country and I suppose a thank you for bravery in the face of fascism. keep on speaking truth to power kiddo.

Werbung:
We hear stories like this every so often. In this case according to the article he was not censored based on what he said but because he did not say what he was going to say. I wonder what the rules were for what he was allowed to put into his speech to begin with and why didn't he just put what he later tried to say into the approved transcript. Does a school need to approve a transcript at all? If the answer is "yes" then by all means turn of the mike when the speech deviates.

We hear stories like this every so often. In this case according to the article he was not censored based on what he said but because he did not say what he was going to say. I wonder what the rules were for what he was allowed to put into his speech to begin with and why didn't he just put what he later tried to say into the approved transcript. Does a school need to approve a transcript at all? If the answer is "yes" then by all means turn of the mike when the speech deviates.
I agree Dr. Who ...

I am not so sure this case is a cut and dry example of preventing a student from talking about the Constitution. Most schools now have strict rules about speeches and attire during graduation.

yes, the script had to be appro ved

probably not the valedictorian but I am sure there is a reason for pre approved speeches

there are not a lot of opportunities for students to address assemblies and they sre typucally given to pets who have earned trust.

only one reason and Im proud this kid shown a light on it.

there are not a lot of opportunities for students to address assemblies and they sre typucally given to pets who have earned trust.

only one reason and Im proud this kid shown a light on it.

Giving a speech on "free speech" is kind of apropos in this situation. :p

Sounds like his "deviation" from the script was in saying that he wasn't allowed to deviate from the script.

I guess freedom of speech is all well and good, just as long as someone in authority determines what you may or may not freely speak about, and as long as the audience doesn't know that someone has censured the speech.

Sounds like his "deviation" from the script was in saying that he wasn't allowed to deviate from the script.

I guess freedom of speech is all well and good, just as long as someone in authority determines what you may or may not freely speak about, and as long as the audience doesn't know that someone has censured the speech.

govt censorship, used to be viewed as a bad thing....

Is a School Official Trying to Ruin the Education Career of the Valedictorian Whose Mic Was Cut During His Speech?

When a Texas high school valedictorian’s microphone was shut off in the middle of his graduation speech last week, that may have only been the beginning of his problems with school officials.

Now Remington Reimer, a recent graduate of Joshua (Tex.) High School, has retained Liberty Institute to clear his name after his former principal allegedly indicated he would write a letter to the school where he’s headed this fall — the Naval Academy — to inform officials there of Reimer’s actions during his speech.

Today Liberty Institute sent an official notice letter to the superintendent and board of the Joshua Independent School District. According to the letter, school officials broke Texas state law in two ways:
  1. by not distancing themselves from the content of the valedictorian’s speech;
  2. by not printing a disclaimer in the graduation program that should state “the content of each student speaker’s message is the private expression of the individual student and does not reflect the endorsement, sponsorship, position or expression of the District.”

Screening the speeches of Valedictorians isn't new, they did that back in my day. Ratting a Valedictorian out to his college is new as far as I know, and kind of petty.

Werbung:
Back