South Korean Hatred of the USA

Jason76

A lot of South Koreans hate the USA because of various reasons. First of all, they opposed Bush's aggressive policy toward North Korea. Second, they believe the US stole a gold medal from them in the 2002 Olympics. Third, they think the US sold them beef which was contaminated with "Mad Cow Disease". Finally, they believe there is some sinister plot to keep them from having a nuclear weapon. They believe they need a nuke to defend themselves from Japan.

Werbung:
This is silly. If they are so anti-American, why do they act so American?

This is silly. If they are so anti-American, why do they act so American?

They're acting western, not American. When I was in South Korea in 2002, I tried to bring up that paradox with a Korean ESL teacher one time. I claimed it was very hypocritical for them to learn English, while at the same time hate the United States. He claimed they were against the United States, not the west in general, and the US wasn't the only nation that spoke English. Looking back on the scene, he was right.

Nonetheless, a lot of the Korean criticsm of America isn't all about politics. It's also about culture. Since American culture is western, then the Korean ESL teacher I mentioned was somewhat wrong. If they do actually feel threatned by America, then why stress the learning of English so strongly? :whistle:

Anyhow, getting into an argument with a young Korean male like that was a bad idea. As you might expect your going to hear an aggressive response, just like if you encountered an American radical. Since I wasn't on my own land, making such a statement made me sound pompous and arrogant, hence confirming more anti-American stereotypes. :rolleyes: Usually a situation like that only leads to a lot of mockery :LOL:, since your way outnumbered.

Last edited:
The other concerns to me, sound legitimate though it has to be said, sound like juvenile rants. But a nuclear weapon against Japan? I thought Japan is was an ally? The interesting issue is that in the world of statecraft, emotions don't count. Nether are perceived injustices but hard legalities and legalisms. The Yankees have a way of rubbing feathers the wrong way but in the end, pragmatism wins.

But a nuclear weapon against Japan? I thought Japan is was an ally?

Most westerners are not aware how much South Koreans hate Japan. The hatred suprasses that for North Korea. You would only find out about this stuff if you traveled there. It isn't convered by western media. However, the mad cow stuff is covered, but nobody in the west is interested in it.

I think one source of the problem is the fact the Japanese didn't pay repartatons to South Korea. However, the situation is also used as a sort of deflection by the government. In other words, to get people to ignore problems at home, they turn Japan into some sort of pinata.

The other concerns to me, sound legitimate though it has to be said, sound like juvenile rants.

As far as the other stuff is concerned, a lot of that is just guys being guys, people being people. You can't really escape all the gossip, confrontations etc.. That's just part of life. However, if that stuff gets out of control, it can lead to serious violence or losing your employment.

Note, the situation I mentioned above is true anywhere in the world, though some cultures are more in your face than others.

Last edited:
Most westerners are not aware how much South Koreans hate Japan. The hatred suprasses that for North Korea. You would only find out about this stuff if you traveled there. It isn't convered by western media. However, the mad cow stuff is covered, but nobody in the west is interested in it.

I think one source of the problem is the fact the Japanese didn't pay repartatons to South Korea. However, the situation is also used as a sort of deflection by the government. In other words, to get people to ignore problems at home, they turn Japan into some sort of pinata.

As far as the other stuff is concerned, a lot of that is just guys being guys, people being people. You can't really escape all the gossip, confrontations etc.. That's just part of life. However, if that stuff gets out of control, it can lead to serious violence or losing your employment.

Note, the situation I mentioned above is true anywhere in the world, though some cultures are more in your face than others.
Got any links to all of that hatred that is shown by South Koreans?
They don't seem to hate the US enough to quit selling us KIAs, Hundais, and electronics. They seem to have adapted pretty well to capitalism, quite unlike the North Koreans. Unlike the North, they don't seem to be starving. They may hate Kim Jung Un, but it seems unlikely that they have anything but pity for their brothers living under a brutal dictator. I can't find any reason they would hate the Japanese, either. Japan is a competitor, but certainly not an enemy.

So, what is this allegation of hatred based on, exactly?

Got any links to all of that hatred that is shown by South Koreans?
They don't seem to hate the US enough to quit selling us KIAs, Hundais, and electronics. They seem to have adapted pretty well to capitalism, quite unlike the North Koreans. Unlike the North, they don't seem to be starving. They may hate Kim Jung Un, but it seems unlikely that they have anything but pity for their brothers living under a brutal dictator. I can't find any reason they would hate the Japanese, either. Japan is a competitor, but certainly not an enemy.

So, what is this allegation of hatred based on, exactly?

It's based on observations of South Korea during the 2000 - 2010 decade. Yes, they do hate Japan. Look up the Dokdo controversy. Of course, people in the west won't believe me, cause well for one thing they don't care about the far east, and second nobody watches news reports from the east, except for some stuff about Kim Jong I'll's nuke threats.

It's based on observations of South Korea during the 2000 - 2010 decade. Yes, they do hate Japan. Look up the Dokdo controversy. Of course, people in the west won't believe me, cause well for one thing they don't care about the far east, and second nobody watches news reports from the east, except for some stuff about Kim Jong I'll's nuke threats.
A dispute over islands doesn't mean Korea hates Japan.

A dispute over islands doesn't mean Korea hates Japan.

The government doesn't officially hate Japan, but the people do, generally speaking. The nation is a scapegoat for national problems. It is possible for people to be that racist and hateful. Of course, this fact isn't advertised, but if you go there, then you can see it everywhere.

Koreans are anti-American to some extent because of the presence of US military bases in their country, which the Japanese accept humbly after losing the war. But South Korea is supposed to be an independent country that does not have to be a client state of the US. There are also nationalist groups fanning anti-Americanism, which may be linked to North Korea.

Korea-USbases.jpg

Last edited:
Most Asians are anti American even if they copy the Western way of life. They recent American interference in their country and the bases, Koreans want unity and blame American for stoping this. Thy hate Japan for what they did in WW2.

Most Asians are anti American even if they copy the Western way of life. They recent American interference in their country and the bases, Koreans want unity and blame American for stoping this. Thy hate Japan for what they did in WW2.

Right, but it's still a scapegoat for internal and personal problems, much as Mexicans are for Trump supporters. A lot of the people have failed in various degrees in life, but rather than take blame, they blame outsiders.

Last edited:
Werbung:

Koreans are anti-American to some extent because of the presence of US military bases in their country, which the Japanese accept humbly after losing the war. But South Korea is supposed to be an independent country that does not have to be a client state of the US. There are also nationalist groups fanning anti-Americanism, which may be linked to North Korea.

Korea-USbases.jpg
Perhaps we should offer to close our bases down and let them face NK on their own. I wonder how that would go over with the populace?

Back