Spitzer is Linked to Prostitution Ring

SW85

NY Gov. Eliot Spitzer is now being linked to a prostitution ring. (Link)

ALBANY - Gov. Eliot Spitzer has been caught on a federal wiretap arranging to meet with a high-priced prostitute at a Washington hotel last month, according to a person briefed on the federal investigation.

The wiretap recording, made during an investigation of a prostitution ring called Emperors Club VIP, captured a man identified as Client 9 on a telephone call confirming plans to have a woman travel from New York to Washington, where he had reserved a room. The person briefed on the case identified Mr. Spitzer as Client 9.

The governor learned that he had been implicated in the prostitution probe when a federal official contacted his staff last Friday, according to the person briefed on the case.

The governor informed his top aides Sunday night and this morning of his involvement. He canceled his public events today and scheduled an announcement for this afternoon after inquiries from the Times.

The governor’s aides appeared shaken, and one of them began to weep as they waited for him to make his statement at his Manhattan office. Mr. Spitzer was seen leaving his Fifth Avenue apartment just before 3 p.m. with his wife of 21 years, Silda, heading to the news conference.

The man described as Client 9 in court papers arranged to meet with a prostitute who was part of the ring, Emperors Club VIP, on the night of Feb. 13. Mr. Spitzer traveled to Washington that evening, according to a person told of his travel arrangements.

The affidavit says that Client 9 met with the woman in hotel room 871 but does not identify the hotel. Mr. Spitzer stayed at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington on Feb. 13, according to a source who was told of his travel arrangements. Room 871 at the Mayflower Hotel that evening was registered under the another name.

Federal prosecutors rarely charge clients in prostitution cases, which are generally seen as state crimes. But the Mann Act, passed by Congress in 1910 to address prostitution, human trafficking and what was viewed at the time as immorality in general, makes it a crime to transport someone between states for the purpose of prostitution. The four defendants charged in the case unsealed last week were all charged with that crime, along with several others.

Not long ago I seem to recall people were talking up Spitzer as a possible Presidential candidate in '12, '16, or later. Oh well.

Stephen Spruiell at NRO's The Corner says Fox News is reporting that he has been formally indicted and will shortly resign as governor. (Don't have a TV handy so I can't confirm.)

EDIT: Not an indictment, just a complain. An indictment may still follow, it just hasn't happened yet.

Werbung:
Ha ha haaaaaa!
That makes me laugh.
Not because he's a liberal and I'm a conservative, but more because of the hypocrisy of the thing. He was supposed to be this big honcho who took on the mob and was big into getting rid of corruption...

I'm still laughing! HAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

NY Gov. Eliot Spitzer is now being linked to a prostitution ring. (Link)

Not long ago I seem to recall people were talking up Spitzer as a possible Presidential candidate in '12, '16, or later. Oh well.

Stephen Spruiell at NRO's The Corner says Fox News is reporting that he has been formally indicted and will shortly resign as governor. (Don't have a TV handy so I can't confirm.)

EDIT: Not an indictment, just a complain. An indictment may still follow, it just hasn't happened yet.

well If Fox news is reporting it...lol

thing that makes me more mad is I cant afford those ladys, the Free market needs to bring the cost down on those hookers so us common folk can get some :)

At least unlike the Republican Versions of these things...does not sound like he was screwing men lol

In any case, its NY does not effect me, but he better just stop beating around the bush and resign.

Ha ha haaaaaa!
That makes me laugh.
Not because he's a liberal and I'm a conservative, but more because of the hypocrisy of the thing. He was supposed to be this big honcho who took on the mob and was big into getting rid of corruption...

I'm still laughing! HAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Because republicans don't have a tendency to proclaim family values, then go cottaging in a public toilet.

Who gives a crap?

Pidgey

Uh, well, I'd think the people who pass and enforce laws ought to at least make a token effort to respect them. Left or right I don't care; I said Vitter should resign back when he got busted and I say Spitzer should do the same.

I heard about this as well. While I am generally of the school that thinks less focus on the personal lives of politicians especially thier sex lives is needed. My understanding is that he wasnt the target of this investigation, he stepped into it on accident while there was already an investigation going on concerning the prostitution ring.
What bugs me the most is the hypocracy concerning his previous actions. While I think he should resign not because he is a hypocrit, lets be real and know that all politicians are hypocrits by nature. He should resign because he needs to focus his efforts on mending fences with his family and let someone else focus on running NY.

I heard about this as well. While I am generally of the school that thinks less focus on the personal lives of politicians especially thier sex lives is needed. My understanding is that he wasnt the target of this investigation, he stepped into it on accident while there was already an investigation going on concerning the prostitution ring.
What bugs me the most is the hypocracy concerning his previous actions. While I think he should resign not because he is a hypocrit, lets be real and know that all politicians are hypocrits by nature. He should resign because he needs to focus his efforts on mending fences with his family and let someone else focus on running NY.

To me it also says something about loyalty, Loyalty is something I put alot of stock in, and if cant even be loyal to your wife ( with hookers no less) why should I expect more from you?

that and the Hypocracy is amazing...thats one reason cops piss me off alot.

Werbung:
To me it also says something about loyalty, Loyalty is something I put alot of stock in, and if cant even be loyal to your wife ( with hookers no less) why should I expect more from you?

that and the Hypocracy is amazing...thats one reason cops piss me off alot.

I think in all the times that we have crossed paths on this board I actually agree with you. Also, I just had access to cable news for the first time in several weeks and it appears someone at the IRS got wind of this under a "suspicious transaction" and recognizing the name forwarded it on to the FBI.
I dont know if it is politically motivated or not yet. That is what really bugs me the most in any of these scandals is the rampant and unnecessary partisanship.

Back