Stand your ground in Florida: 31.6% increase in firearm-related homicide

Werbung:
So they factored out suicides which makes sense. But they don't appear to be considering the nature of the homicides. now perhaps they don't have that data going with cdc data.
But if the homicides were true self defense instances, is this a bad thing ? that attacker won't be doing it again.
Of course it could also be drug related gang banging as well.

So they factored out suicides which makes sense. But they don't appear to be considering the nature of the homicides. now perhaps they don't have that data going with cdc data.
But if the homicides were true self defense instances, is this a bad thing ? that attacker won't be doing it again.
Of course it could also be drug related gang banging as well.

First off, they did address the suicide issue if you had actually read the article:

"Furthermore, no changes were observed in control outcomes such as suicide (RR, 0.99; 95% CI, 0.94-1.05) and suicide by firearm (RR, 0.98; 95% CI, 0.91-1.06) in Florida between 2005 and 2014."

Next they also did a comparison to other States, and found no change. The one development was Florida's change in the "stand your ground" self defense posture:

"No evidence of change was found in the analyses of comparison states for either homicide (RR, 1.06; 95% CI, 0.98-1.13) or homicide by firearm (RR, 1.08; 95% CI, 0.99-1.17). "

The stats from "studies" such as this can always be tilted to how those doing the study wish for the stats to portray their way of political thinking.

An obvious flaw in this study is the marked increase of illegals into our country, certainly a lot in the Miami area, who are prone to gun violence because of gangs and narcotics.

Here is the only stat worth anything on this subject. Unbiased study after study has proven as fact that the overwhelming majority of citizens who carry are non-violent and commit no felonies with their guns.

The stats from "studies" such as this can always be tilted to how those doing the study wish for the stats to portray their way of political thinking.

An obvious flaw in this study is the marked increase of illegals into our country, certainly a lot in the Miami area, who are prone to gun violence because of gangs and narcotics.

Here is the only stat worth anything on this subject. Unbiased study after study has proven as fact that the overwhelming majority of citizens who carry are non-violent and commit no felonies with their guns.
It's true that the vast majority of gun deaths come via hand guns and that is the weapon of choice for underworld sorts.
One does need to consider the nature of the shootings as its well known that gang infested areas are essentially no go zones because of gun violence. The authorities have lost control there and have no plan to regain it. It's treated as a confinement matter.
With a good portion of this membership being illegals, getting those punted back to where they came from will help.

It's true that the vast majority of gun deaths come via hand guns and that is the weapon of choice for underworld sorts.
One does need to consider the nature of the shootings as its well known that gang infested areas are essentially no go zones because of gun violence. The authorities have lost control there and have no plan to regain it. It's treated as a confinement matter.
With a good portion of this membership being illegals, getting those punted back to where they came from will help.

I feel bad for the law abiding citizens in those no go zones. At least the carry law allows them to be equal to the criminals, making it less likely the criminals will harass them.

I read this many years ago in a reputable magazine article, may have been Life Magazine which was known for accuracy, and have looked for it on the internet and can't find it...but I remember it stated that the worst year in Dodge City in the 19th century was 4 killed in the city by gun fights. Dodge City of course is portrayed in Hollywood movies as gun murder on a daily basis, but in reality, all the guns and everyone carrying kept it relatively peaceful. Hollywood has, as they always do, fictionalized the situation there to make their movies entertaining.

Of course outside Dodge City where there were bandits and Indians, the situation was likely much more violent...but the fact is that inside the city, things were relatively peaceful as far as gun fights were concerned.

Just how does that change the reality that homicides are up since the passing of the "Stand your ground" law? Are you saying illegals are more apt to kill? Sounds like Trump racist comment.

Hate to tell you this, and it must be a secret in your part of reality, the majority of people are non-violent, and don't feel the need to "carry". In my 72 years of life, and a lot of that time spent in the "ghettoes" I never felt the need to carry. IMO it is only the coward, or the one looking for trouble, that needs to "carry". And most gang bangers are cowards.

Just how does that change the reality that homicides are up since the passing of the "Stand your ground" law? Are you saying illegals are more apt to kill? Sounds like Trump racist comment.

Hate to tell you this, and it must be a secret in your part of reality, the majority of people are non-violent, and don't feel the need to "carry". In my 72 years of life, and a lot of that time spent in the "ghettoes" I never felt the need to carry. IMO it is only the coward, or the one looking for trouble, that needs to "carry". And most gang bangers are cowards.

Maybe this recent news story will change your mind about citizen carry, but probably not.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...unman-Pizza-Shop-Bucks-County--401397196.html

I understand some people abhor the idea of an armed populace. Perhaps it's difficult to understand that there are really bad people in their world. And it's understandable that there is risk to anyone who happens to be in the way of a flying bullet regardless of the intended target.
But as Europe is learning, there are really bad people in the tsunamI of middle easterners they allowed in. We here already knew.
And the simple fact is, you can't change them to your way of thinking.
That leaves you to deal with it yourself since the authorities have demonstrated they cannot.
Is it sobering ? Of course. It better be.
Is it going away ? Nope.

You said, In my 72 years of life, and a lot of that time spent in the "ghettoes" I never felt the need to carry. IMO it is only the coward, or the one looking for trouble.... That's your Opinion, some very good people feel safer armed. I'm a good person IMO. YOU can call me a coward looking for trouble, with rights. I have a right to carry, You have a right not too. You have some great ideas , your delivery sucks..

You said, In my 72 years of life, and a lot of that time spent in the "ghettoes" I never felt the need to carry. IMO it is only the coward, or the one looking for trouble.... That's your Opinion, some very good people feel safer armed. I'm a good person IMO. YOU can call me a coward looking for trouble, with rights. I have a right to carry, You have a right not too. You have some great ideas , your delivery sucks..

Aside from mans law where do you have a natural right to "carry"? You have a right to self defense, but does that give you the right to "carry"? Perhaps in our immoral world it might. However, Christ said he who lives by the sword dies by the sword, and it appears to me that we are becoming more militant, and people are dying in higher numbers because of it.

I understand some people abhor the idea of an armed populace. Perhaps it's difficult to understand that there are really bad people in their world. And it's understandable that there is risk to anyone who happens to be in the way of a flying bullet regardless of the intended target.
But as Europe is learning, there are really bad people in the tsunamI of middle easterners they allowed in. We here already knew.
And the simple fact is, you can't change them to your way of thinking.
That leaves you to deal with it yourself since the authorities have demonstrated they cannot.
Is it sobering ? Of course. It better be.
Is it going away ? Nope.

And still we have more homicides then Europe one of your favorite scapegoats. Here in America we have learned how to work with the Muslim community, and Canada is doing even better.

And not to worry Dog, you, and others like you, will NEVER confront a terrorist just as you do nothing about the gangs that are here now terrorizing people.

the worst year in Dodge City in the 19th century was 4 killed in the city by gun fights.

So your solution is to return back to the Wild West days in 2016?

Perhaps it's difficult to understand that there are really bad people in their world

Come on, that argument isnt on your usual level. How do you think Europe comes along with an unarmed population and way less deaths?

Werbung:
So your solution is to return back to the Wild West days in 2016?

Come on, that argument isnt on your usual level. How do you think Europe comes along with an unarmed population and way less deaths?
Better people. Not a pleasant response but it's the sad truth here.
Obviously you have bad people there but far fewer. Maybe it has to do with people per square mile. People don't know their neighbors anymore so its easier for criminals to blend in.

Back