Teens Don't Want To Work

Old_Trapper70

In spite of all the ranting, and whining, by the right wing that raising the minimum wage will hurt teens looking for work, it appears they just don't want to work:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-aren-t-american-teenagers-090005353.html

"This summer American teenagers should find it a little easier to get a job—if they want one.

But the unemployment rate measures joblessness only among people who are actively looking for work. And many American teens aren't.

For Baby Boomers and Generation X, the summer job was a rite of passage. Today's teenagers have other priorities. Teens are likeliest to be working in July, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that's not seasonally adjusted. In July of last year, 43 percent of 16- to 19-year-olds were either working or looking for a job. That's 10 points lower than in July 2006. In 1988 and 1989, the July labor force participation rate for teenagers nearly hit 70 percent."

Werbung:
Liberalism at work here. They feel that they are owed support. Why bust my chops working when a Dem in congress can arrange for the gov to send me a cjeck every month?

Liberalism at work here. They feel that they are owed support. Why bust my chops working when a Dem in congress can arrange for the gov to send me a cjeck every month?

This is the kind of partisan ignorance I find intolerable. Ever since Reagan, and then Bush 43, with Clinton in between, the job market has shrunk, and real wages have been in decline. Kids cannot find a job when adults are needing 2, and three, jobs to support their families. But the tightie rightie crowd seems to think that giving trillions of dollars to th e1% is so much better for the economy then insuring the oines that create the wealth, the laborer, share in that creationof wealth. Then they whine because people don't want to work for a wage that does not provide for their families, or their needs. And we know how much the right has aided the poor, and those in need just as they are now doing with health care.

But he\y, any functional analytical mind could figure this out.

OTie, your response is pure, unadulterated liberalism. Steal from the "rich" and give to liberal voters. I put rich in quotes because Hellary proposed raising taxes on the middle class which is her way of saying the US middle classis rich and deserves to pay more to the gov.
The fact that taking money from one person to give to another creates an "I deserve it" mentality.
"This summer American teenagers should find it a little easier to get a job - if they want one."
Your words, OT

OTie, your response is pure, unadulterated liberalism. Steal from the "rich" and give to liberal voters. I put rich in quotes because Hellary proposed raising taxes on the middle class which is her way of saying the US middle classis rich and deserves to pay more to the gov.

Again you show your lack of intellect, or the analytical mind you feel so proud of. Under the Republicans you are so proud of, there was a recession in which the wealthy received 7 TRILLION dollars in additional wealth while the middle class lost 11 Trillion dollars in their wealth. In fact, millions lost their homes, their jobs, their retirement. Never hear you whining about that.

Now tell me Waggie, just how is anything being "stolen" from the wealthy, or you? Are you not free to move to a country where you feel better about the tax rate? Then too, can you tell me if Jefferson felt it an act of theft to tax ONLY THE WEALTHY? Maybe Franklin felt it was theft when he used tax doollars to provide free health care for the poor.

http://historiesattic.blogspot.com/2011/10/thomas-jeffersons-views-on-taxing.html

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2011/01/founding_fathers_favored_gover.html

The fact that taking money from one person to give to another creates an "I deserve it" mentality.

So, when the poor lose their "wealth" to the wealthy, and by government fiat, that the wealthy get the idea that they "deserve it" right? You seem to feel they do.

"This summer American teenagers should find it a little easier to get a job - if they want one."
Your words, OT

Where in your world of analysis does that mean they will find one?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-your-teen-cant-find-a-summer-job/

What checks are teens getting? I mean, how many are on disability? Instead, it seems like they must get handouts from mom and pop - or as OldTrapper suggested, the qualifications have gone up due to competition from older applicants.

Werbung:
In spite of all the ranting, and whining, by the right wing that raising the minimum wage will hurt teens looking for work, it appears they just don't want to work:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-aren-t-american-teenagers-090005353.html

"This summer American teenagers should find it a little easier to get a job—if they want one.

But the unemployment rate measures joblessness only among people who are actively looking for work. And many American teens aren't.

For Baby Boomers and Generation X, the summer job was a rite of passage. Today's teenagers have other priorities. Teens are likeliest to be working in July, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that's not seasonally adjusted. In July of last year, 43 percent of 16- to 19-year-olds were either working or looking for a job. That's 10 points lower than in July 2006. In 1988 and 1989, the July labor force participation rate for teenagers nearly hit 70 percent."

I'm calling bullcrap on this. I was a teenager in 88/89 and the participation rate was nowhere near 70%.

Back