Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

steveox

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A bill passed Friday by the Tennessee Senate would forbid public school teachers and students in grades kindergarten through eight from discussing the fact that some people are gay.

Opponents deride the measure as the "don't say gay bill." They say it's unfair to the children of gay parents and could lead to more bullying. Supporters say it is intended to give teachers clear guidance for dealing with younger children on a potentially explosive topic.

The bill isn't likely to be taken up by the House before lawmakers adjourn this spring, but the sponsor there has said he would push it forward in 2012 when the General Assembly comes back for the second year of the session.

Passage would make Tennessee the first state to enact such legislation, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. In 2003, Washington defeated a proposal similar to Tennessee's, as did California in 2005 and 2006. A Louisiana law forbids the use of sexually explicit materials depicting homosexuality in sex education classes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110520/ap_on_re_us/us_xgr_tennessee_schools_sexuality

Now the beverly hillbillies will move back to Tennessee instead of Homo California

Werbung:
I have nothing against informing children, at an appropriate age, that homosexuality exists. But analogous to how other elements of the leftwing agenda have been handled, it has been presented as pro-homosexual propaganda in the K12 schools.

8th Graders are about 12 or 13 years old. I don't think it's out of line to hold off on discussions about homosexuality until they're at least 14. What kind of a weirdo do you have to be to object to the fact that schoolchildren under the age of 14 won't be spoken to about homosexuality, or sex at all for that matter?

Homosexuality shouldnt never be taught. But in Bible school you should teach how Homosexuality is a grave sin and you shall be punished by GOD around 15 years old!

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A bill passed Friday by the Tennessee Senate would forbid public school teachers and students in grades kindergarten through eight from discussing the fact that some people are gay.

I seriously doubt the law says that since that would mean that the speech of the students is being restricted.

It might be that the law only restricts (what the courts have somewhat wrongly called teachers to be) agents of the state from teaching homosexuality. Then again since the reporting of this is clearly in error it might only be prohibiting gay propaganda.

I see no reason for pre-high schoolers to be taught about "alternative" sexual lifestyles. Let the high schools cover it in the sex education classes.

I see no reason for pre-high schoolers to be taught about "alternative" sexual lifestyles. Let the high schools cover it in the sex education classes.

by high school many gay kids have already been so long and picked on and confused they already killed themself.

do you know how much about Sex we as kids knew well before high school without school saying jack? quite a bit...and even some of it was true.

and also "alternative" ? its not a choice you made, its not like "alternative music" ...its who you are...its who they are. Just because its not what you are does not make it alternative. going to teach kids about sex in school and say to a few kids in class...by the way this does not applie to you, but we can't talk about you till later...you kids are to dumb to handle it...when really its adults who can't handle it.

Just remember kids, Jesus loves you all...unless your a gay

by high school many gay kids have already been so long and picked on and confused they already killed themself.

Many? 13 year olds?

But I accept the argument that those who are confused need a source of information as soon as they are confused. For both those who will be straight and those who will be gay that should be ones parents or guardians.

Being picked on is not a gay issue but a "mean" issue. No one should be picking on kids for whatever reason.

do you know how much about Sex we as kids knew well before high school without school saying jack? quite a bit...and even some of it was true.

I know that my school had "the movie" for fourth graders this last Friday and according to my 10 year old all the kids already knew that some people prefer same sex relationships long before the movie was shown.

I would add, that since I previewed the movie, it was very neutral and always talked about relationships while not using words that indicated a bias, The guy who was presenting the movie however did generally talk about male/female relationships.

and also "alternative" ? its not a choice you made, its not like "alternative music" ...its who you are...its who they are. Just because its not what you are does not make it alternative. going to teach kids about sex in school and say to a few kids in class...by the way this does not applie to you, but we can't talk about you till later...you kids are to dumb to handle it...when really its adults who can't handle it.

It is about who someone is. It would be inaccurate to say that it is not a choice since even with a biological component it includes non-biololgical determinants.

In a population where between 90 - 98% of people are straight it is alternative. Which is a pretty neutral way of saying abnormal (which is itself technically a neutral term but one that has been co-opted to be a negative term)

If a kid in school is gay it would be true that what is taught does not apply only if gay relationships are fundamentally different. If however, all relationships have fundamental similarities then the application is obvious.

I agree that the kids are not too dumb to handle it. If I was not certain that pro-gay propaganda would be included in any mention of gayness I would be for a statement about it. On the other hand if you are saying that adults can't handle it them clearly children would not be able to.

This is not a discussion about Jesus and your bringing it up is not helpful. Especially since what you said was wrong and sarcastically hateful.

Werbung:

I'm sure you have links to prove your assertion that gay high school kids are killing themselves all over the the country, don't you?

I guess times have changed from my high school days (early 1970s). I don't recall anybody in my high school being identified or accused of being a homosexual. Of course, back then, being "gay" meant that you were "happy".

I seriously doubt that there are that many outwardly gay people attending high school in this country. It's the ADULTS who have made homosexuality an equal rights issue, and it's the TEACHERS who have made "gay awareness" some sort of necessity or social issue that must be taught in our schools.

This country is really fu**ed up.

Just for the record, PFOS, I have previously stated that I have no problem with gay marriage. I know you have serious reading comprehension problems and short and long term memory loss, so I thought I would remind you of that, since you like to pigeonhole and categorize all non-leftists into the same mold.

Back