The aftermath of the "B Girl" hoax

Popeye

I thought this is a great commentary as it puts a fitting postscript on what has become an embarrassing incident for all those on the right that jumped to conclusions. The backwards B should have been a dead giveaway but hate does funny things to people...like suspending logic.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

McCain volunteer Ashley Todd has now confessed that she made up the story about being attacked by a large black man who carved the letter “B” into her cheek.

The young lady has issues, and I hope she gets the help she needs. End of story.

But let’s talk in a little more depth about the eagerness and even glee with which some in the right-wing blogosphere jumped on that story and immediately claimed it as proof of their worst nightmares coming true. So much of that story was unbelievable from the very beginning, yet certain people wanted to believe it so badly that they ignored all the warning signs and launched into full battle cry.

Andy McCarthy at the National Review’s Corner responded with a post so embarrassing he has now taken it down so nobody can see it.

Dan Riehl at riehlworldview.com posted under the headline “Thugs for change,” claiming that “Obama’s run his campaign just like a street thug out of Chicago. Now we get to see what some of his worst supporters are like.”

Noel Sheppard at newsbusters.org chastized AP for daring to be skeptical of the initial report. Most of all, he wanted to know why the AP didn’t report that the alleged perp was black. How dare they exclude a detail that had no bearing whatsoever on the alleged crime!!

Josh Painter at redstate.com blamed the attack on Barack Obama, suggesting an “Obama thugocracy” was coming: When Obama “urged his supporters to get in their face, did it not occur to him that some of his more deranged followers might take him literally?” Painter asked.

He was echoed by fellow redstater Erick Erickson, who wrote: “Hey! The dude was just doing what The One asked him to. Full pardon on January 21st.”

At Atlas Shugs, they posted the woman’s photo and called it “the new face of the Republican Party.”

“Shame on those that doubted this poor girl,” the post read. “Always ready to jump on the side of the leftists and thugs. ugh. Americans, I implore you to get off your asses and save this country from the radical left coup on the White House, Senate and House…. Perhaps the Obots misunderstood Obama urging his followers to Get In Their Face and GET IN THEIR FACES!” They got the advanced course of Camp Obama to cut up their faces.”

But perhaps the most interesting response came from John Moody, executive vice president at Fox News:

“If Ms. Todd’s allegations are proven accurate, some voters may revisit their support for Senator Obama, not because they are racists (with due respect to Rep. John Murtha), but because they suddenly feel they do not know enough about the Democratic nominee,” Moody wrote. “If the incident turns out to be a hoax, Senator McCain’s quest for the presidency is over, forever linked to race-baiting.”

Now, that is utter nonsense on two counts. First, while the incident did indeed turn out to be a hoax, it has in no way linked McCain to racebaiting and will have no impact whatsoever on the outcome of this race.

But Moody’s claim that Obama supporters might have revisited their position if the story were true is more intriguing, and more revealing as well. Moody claims that under those circumstances, people might suddenly feel they know less about Obama and thus change their vote. But what is the logical trail between those two thoughts? Such an attack would tell people absolutely nothing about Obama.

The real explanation lies in the answer that Moody rejects: racism. A lot of white Americans voting for Obama have had to overcome various degrees of racism to get themselves to that point. That doesn’t make them bad people; to the contrary, they’re thinking things through, and that’s great.

However, for many of those people, an attack of the sort described by Ashley Todd would heighten those internal, emotional obstacles to voting for Obama. That’s precisely why some on the right — with notable exceptions such as Michelle Malkin, a person I do not ordinarily respect much — were so quick to try to make it a huge deal.

They ought to be ashamed.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sh...2008/10/24/the_aftermath_of_ashley_todds.html

Werbung:
Hey, I have a bag of baby seals that Obama just clubbed. Anyone want to buy my story? It's for sale: $3 million US.

:cool:

Lets put this on file with the "KILL HIM!!!" hoax that you guys on the left went around talking about, and taking the occasion to paint with a broad brush all on the Right as Racists, which was also fabricated...

BTW Popeye... with as much hay as you made about THAT hoax... I don't remember you EVER appologizing or eating your words.... :rolleyes:

Lets put this on file with the "KILL HIM!!!" hoax that you guys on the left went around talking about, and taking the occasion to paint with a broad brush all on the Right as Racists, which was also fabricated...

BTW Popeye... with as much hay as you made about THAT hoax... I don't remember you EVER appologizing or eating your words.... :rolleyes:

You know what I can't figure out is why, in the process of attacking me this morning on another thread, you alluded to the 'B Girl" despite the fact that it was revealed to be a hoax yesterday...not keeping up, blinded by hatred, or what?

The lie about "kill him" was mean and wrong but probably not dangerous.

The girl who pretended to get attacked is dangerous. Some hot head who saw that could have went to do something very bad physically to an obama supporter before it came out that she wasnt telling the truth. it still could for some one who doesnt watch the news enough to know it wasnt true.

The girl reminded me of that one woman Susan smith who killed her own kids then blamed a black man. The b thing was far more dangerous and worse for race relations than the kill him deal, but both sucked

You know what I can't figure out is why, in the process of attacking me this morning on another thread, you alluded to the 'B Girl" despite the fact that it was revealed to be a hoax yesterday...not keeping up, blinded by hatred, or what?

As I remember... you continued with the KILL HIM hoax for about a week after it was proven false... That leaves me 6 more days of denile to catch up to your rot gut nonsense.

As I remember... you continued with the KILL HIM hoax for about a week after it was proven false... That leaves me 6 more days of denile to catch up to your rot gut nonsense.

welp

that I know of popeye never posted an apology in the thread about it being a hoax or ever really said hey it was not true

so...

you never have to stop gen :)

My take on this may get me tarred and feathered on this forum, but I'm going to say it anyway.

The girl that did this is 20 yo and by all accounts has severe emotional problems and likely is mentally ill. She has told police she does not know how she got the black eye or the 'B' scratched on her face and concocted the story to explain injuries to her friends. The friends called the police.

If the above account is true, then this is not an incidence of race-baiting or chicanery on the part of the McCain campaign. It is the isolated action of a mentally ill girl who injured herself while in a fugue state. The kid needs to be in a hospital - not a jail cell - and everyone needs to climb off McCain's back about this.

Fox News and others who reported the incident as fact before the facts were in need to take a long, hard look at how they do their jobs.

My take on this may get me tarred and feathered on this forum, but I'm going to say it anyway.

The girl that did this is 20 yo and by all accounts has severe emotional problems and likely is mentally ill. She has told police she does not know how she got the black eye or the 'B' scratched on her face and concocted the story to explain injuries to her friends. The friends called the police.

If the above account is true, then this is not an incidence of race-baiting or chicanery on the part of the McCain campaign. It is the isolated action of a mentally ill girl who injured herself while in a fugue state. The kid needs to be in a hospital - not a jail cell - and everyone needs to climb off McCain's back about this.

Fox News and others who reported the incident as fact before the facts were in need to take a long, hard look at how they do their jobs.

The first time I heard it was on fox news, on bill o's show, he said he thought it was fishy and wasnt going to report anymore than the basics till he got more facts. I think he was pretty fair about it.

she might not have been race baiting, if she is really mentally ill then she probably just needs help. but all in all it is more serious than the faked "kill him" from a couple of weeks ago

Tarred and feathered? That's the most rational analysis of this situation I've heard so far.

Werbung:
Back