The death of Christ - no big deal

Dawkinsrocks

Why do christians make such a big thing about the death of christ?

There have been plenty of martyrs in history who bravely went to their death execept that they didn't have the comfort factor of rising from the dead three days later. They had to stay dead.

Also, as the story goes, Jesus' death was atoning for mans's sin but who to?

His dad?

If that is not child abuse I don't know what is.

Werbung:

There have been plenty of martyrs in history who bravely went to their death execept that they didn't have the comfort factor of rising from the dead three days later. They had to stay dead.

Also, as the story goes, Jesus' death was atoning for mans's sin but who to?

His dad?

If that is not child abuse I don't know what is.

Lately man has made a mistake as we are to follow the example of the life Christ lived and not his death. We began to exalt and glorify his death and forgot it is life that is proof not death as actions define you. no person is to ever aspire to martyrodm as it is dead end road.

I can and did remove all of his death from his story and still had an elegant example I could follow that worked. But then again the lives of all the major prophets worked for me! I drank from that cup of life as one relgion and one person and one culture was not enough as I live in America and so can partake of all the fruits - even the Dawkins website.

Lately man has made a mistake as we are to follow the example of the life Christ lived and not his death. We began to exalt and glorify his death and forgot it is life that is proof not death as actions define you. no person is to ever aspire to martyrodm as it is dead end road.

You are correct. However, the symbol of the crucifix is an affirmation of life -- or more accurately, god's victory over death, itself.

Our resident clown, as always, is providing some comic relief to an otherwise serious discussion.

That is why I pray to William Wallace. He died a much more painful death than Christ. He was hung by the neck, revived, had his intestines cut out (drawn) while he was still alive, likely castrated while still alive, and then his corpse was chopped into pieces. Christ however, instead of hanging for the hours necessary to succumb to that form of death, got an early death by being lanced in the side to end his pain (coup de graw delivered).

Sacrificing one's self for friends has become frequent if not common in warfare when a soldier jumps on a grenade. So, " Why do Christians make such a big thing about the death of Christ?", beats me. It must be the blather about drinking from the cup of...? Or, some other "magic."

However, a better question is: If Christians state that they are supposed to live the example of Christ's life, why do so few of them do it? Of all the people who profess to be "Christians" (excepting catholics who would rather say that they are "good catholics", instead of saying "Christians"), that I have known in my many years of life, only about five have any outward indication that they are even attempting to emulate the life of Christ. Anticipating that they will say that it is not necessary to demonstrate that they are following the teachings of Christ in their actions, I say: "...by their works you shall know them..."

Good point.

You only have to look at the hate-filled posts from the Christians on this board.

So not only was Christ's death not as big a thing as is made out, neither was his life.

You can tell by the amount of response this thread is getting that most out there see it for what it is. I am only responding so that whoever does read this thread will know that not all think as these people think. In fact I don't want to even directly respond because there are a lot of other threads that deserve our attention. If I thought this thread was truly for real I might consider responding but I don't think those who have responded up til now would appreciate or understand what I would have to say. :rolleyes:

Christians are Christians, that's why they are what they are and why they see the death of Christ the way they do. If they thought or felt differently, they would not be Christians. No mystery to that, nothing to praise or denigrate about either side of it. Christians are just another group of human beings, neither better nor worse, on the whole, than any other group of people. A group containing many good people, and also containing many not so good people. A person's belief, in itself, does not usually make a person either good or bad.

Christians are Christians, that's why they are what they are and why they see the death of Christ the way they do. If they thought or felt differently, they would not be Christians. No mystery to that, nothing to praise or denigrate about either side of it. Christians are just another group of human beings, neither better nor worse, on the whole, than any other group of people. A group containing many good people, and also containing many not so good people. A person's belief, in itself, does not usually make a person either good or bad.

Well said!!!!

You mistake the central point of the life and death of Christ. That point is redemption. It is neither your goodness or mine, your lack of goodness or mine, that justifies martyrdom. I can die for a cause. I can even die for you. I cannot redeem you. The reason for Christ's life and death was to redeem you, not set an example (which you nor I could follow.) His sissy-like death, which illustrates your ignorance of both Roman crucifixion and the historical record, was in accordance with prophecy rather than misplaced human notions of chivalry. Incidentally, the spear in the side was not a coup de grace as you suppose. Some well justified research into the matter may help redeem you from your lack of knowledge in this area. However, it is faith and faith alone which enables you to assert either your need for redemption or your lack of that need. You have made a choice. Don't you feel the least bit compelled to support such a choice with substance rather than hearsay? C'mon, I know you can be a better skeptic than that!
JtheR

I need help. I'm want to pray to William Wallace too. But since he got cut up in all those pieces, I don't know which piece to pray to. My friend says his testicles were his stongest part, but I saw a movie what said he had a brave heart and that's what I like.
Hey. Howcum God let him get cut up like that so we can't pray to him all at once? That's why I'm
JtheR

Like I said earlier. Some you just can't take too seriously. This could have been a good topic and debate but some don't want to have an intelligent discussion which should be done on this subject.

Like I said earlier. Some you just can't take too seriously. This could have been a good topic and debate but some don't want to have an intelligent discussion which should be done on this subject.

Was my first response not intelligent enough? If not, then my second one must have been.

Werbung:
Back