The importance of Turkey...

pwarbi

At the moment, while Turkey is a member of NATO, their calls to be accepted as a member of the EU as fallen on deaf ears in the past, but it's looking increasingly likely that they may get their wish after all.

In a few months time, restrictions on travel are going to be lifted on Turkish citizens allowing them the freedom to travel throughout Europe with the same freedom that people in the EU have. This will effectively mean that the European borders will extend right up to the edge of Syria rather than ending where Turkey begins as is the case now.

In my opinion, I don't see how this can be considered a step in the right direction by the EU as from what I understand, it will practically open the door to let 75 million Turkish Muslims free to roam throughout the rest of Europe unchecked?

Is that safe?

Werbung:
Exactly my point. But if everyone else can see that this is going to be a bad move why can't the politicians?

Are we missing something here and does Turkey have the EU over a barrel because surely any sensible person can see that what's being proposed will only increase the risk of terrorist attacks?

I don't see how this can be considered a step in the right direction by the EU as from what I understand, it will practically open the door to let 75 million Turkish Muslims free to roam throughout the rest of Europe unchecked?

Is that safe?
It certainly won't make Europe any safer. But what should worry Europe and the world more aren't Muslim migrants from Turkey. The extremists already in Europe, people who've grown up in the EU and hate "infidels" — those are the enemies we should be afraid of.

While I do agree that the enemy if we want to call them that, are already here, inviting another 75 million of them over isn't going to help either though.

Merkel while isn't entirely to blame for the situation we're in now, but she's certainly played a massive part in it. Instead of admitting mistakes have been made and trying to fix them, we're just making more.

If the EU want Turkey to take back surplus migrants , it will have to be nice. Already Turkey has mor Syrian refugees than anyone else.

I don't think it would matter how 'nice' we are, there's no way in my opinion that Turkey will be able to control the flow of immigrants anyway.

You say that at the moment they have the biggest number of Syrian refugees, but a lot of them are leaving and then re-entering the country all the time as Turkey have practically an open door border, and I can't see that changing.

Europe needs Turkey to take back refugees? There is no other safe place to send them bac kto. This is similar to Australia and Indonesia we send refugees back to Indonesia and now they stop coming. Any refugees from Turkey (or Indonesia) will come direct from the camps and we can choose how many we take unlike illegal migrants. who just come by boat.

If we're looking at genuine refugees though, shouldn't Turkey be the country that they stay in? Turkey can ask, and will no doubt get funding to look after the refugees but why should the rest of Europe have to take them?

A refugee is a person that leaves their own country for fear of their life and they go to the nearest safe country. In this case its Turkey. If that person leaves that country because they want to reap the benefits of living in another country, they are no longer refugees but immigrants, so should be treated and assessed as such.

many refugees do not feel safe in Turkey. In any case there are too many for living conditions to be good. All Europe or even the world must take their share of refugees..

many refugees do not feel safe in Turkey. In any case there are too many for living conditions to be good. All Europe or even the world must take their share of refugees..

Does the rest of the world have to take its fair share of refugees, if that means it will be putting its own national security at risk though?

If the infrastructure of a country is already at breaking point and its own people are struggling, then why should that country be dictated to by another and told what they must do? Just because one country can afford to take in 100,000 refugees, doesn't necessarily mean we all can.

Pwarbi, Turkey is a secular country with a high standard of living. I doubt if many Turks will want to live in Europe. In any case they are not refugees.

Your second point is that does the rest of the world have t take their fair share of refugees even if it affect
its national security. There is little proof the refugees are mainly responsible for the attacks on national security in Europe. Most were second generation migrants.
In any case countries like Demark have been attack before they had any refugees
Some European countries like Germany and Greece have taken their fair share but not all

Turkey has always been a hot bed for political and religious turmoil. Also, a lot of hostile Muslim radicals seem to see refuge in Turkey. Therefore, by becoming a part of the EU, they would be allowed to go where ever they choose among the EU. I guess we can't be prejudicial and assume things will happen before they do, but it's a cause for concern.

I think The agreement between Turkey and the EU is that if they take back boat people the EU will take refugees from the camps. I am not sure this involves opening EU borders to Turkey.

Werbung:
At the moment, while Turkey is a member of NATO, their calls to be accepted as a member of the EU as fallen on deaf ears in the past, but it's looking increasingly likely that they may get their wish after all.

In a few months time, restrictions on travel are going to be lifted on Turkish citizens allowing them the freedom to travel throughout Europe with the same freedom that people in the EU have. This will effectively mean that the European borders will extend right up to the edge of Syria rather than ending where Turkey begins as is the case now.

In my opinion, I don't see how this can be considered a step in the right direction by the EU as from what I understand, it will practically open the door to let 75 million Turkish Muslims free to roam throughout the rest of Europe unchecked?

Is that safe?

When did the EU become a christian organization? your whole basis is you can't have Muslims in the EU?

Back