The Invisible Hand vs. The Visible Fist

Dr.Who

The enemies of freedom have always maligned the free market. They have perpetuated myths like "dog-eat-dog capitalism," "survival of the fittest," "the law of the jungle." Robber barons. Heartless monopolies. A ruthless Wall Street fleecing a helpless Main Street.

Nonsense.

It's time to speak out for the free market and individual liberty.

The great economist Adam Smith wrote that a free society operates as if "an invisible hand" directs people's actions — in such a way as to serve the interest of the whole society.

That invisible hand is a gentle one. A free market is a gentle market. A free society is a gentle society. A cooperative, compassionate, and generous society. An abundant and tolerant society.

David Friedman, in his book The Machinery of Freedom, notes that there are only three ways to get something: (1) by trading, (2) by receiving a gift (from love or friendship), or (3) by force ("do what I want or I'll shoot you"). Honest, peaceful people operate in the first two ways. Criminals and the state operate by force, aggression, coercion.

The gentle invisible hand vs. the visible fist of force.

You want to see dog-eat-dog? Look at the notorious Kelo Supreme Court decision on imminent domain. The government now has the power to seize your home or business and turn it over to other private individuals.

You want to see dog-eat-dog? Look at the billions of dollars that are taken from American taxpayers every year and handed over to well-connected corporate interests.

You want to see dog-eat-dog? Look at an IRS audit.

We don’t have a dog-eat-dog business world; we have a dog-eat-dog government.

In truth, the marketplace has a civilizing, humanizing effect. If honesty didn't exist, the marketplace would invent it, because it's the most successful way to do business. In the free market we see, not a survival of the fittest, but a survival of the kindest. Survival of the most cooperative. Survival of the friendliest. A gentle Darwinism, if you will.

In a free society, the most considerate prosper. As Thomas Sowell says, "Politeness and consideration for others is like investing pennies and getting dollars back." A smile has currency.

There are built-in incentives in the marketplace for service, courtesy, respect. The invisible hand becomes a friendly handshake between cooperating adults. As John Stossel pointed out in his ABC special, "Greed," notice how — when you purchase something at a store — the clerk says, "Thank you," and you say "Thank you" as well? It's a mutually beneficial exchange, and both parties are better off.

The gentle invisible hand vs. the visible fist of government.

http://www.theadvocates.org/library/gentle-hand.html

Werbung:
It's been hilarious for a lonnnnnnnnng time that statists employ such terms against the market - nothing which EVER occurred in the market compares to the blood-sucking of government. And at all levels - California has probably the highest aggregate state taxes in the nation, but is $75 billion in debt, because for the democrats who've run the statehouse for a very long time, no amount of money is ever enough.

Hey Smasher, thanks for responding to my thread.

Sometimes when I post a thread like this it is not controversial so it dies shortly. so far I have noticed that 30 people have read it.

Thanks for keeping my thread alive.

After reading here for only an hour or so, I'd say you don't get many responses because there are those on here who don't understand your level of "speaking". LOL

I read your post the first time, mostly agreed with it, and moved on. Was not ignoring it though. ;)

That is a great way to put it that even the lamest should be able to understand.

Businesses are not hostile to eachother because it begets nothing. Government is hostile because they have the power.

Now they want more power. Scary power. Run for your life power.

Hey Smasher, thanks for responding to my thread.

Sometimes when I post a thread like this it is not controversial so it dies shortly. so far I have noticed that 30 people have read it.

Thanks for keeping my thread alive.

Here's the deal on that: when you post substantive posts here, you frequently get no response. A lot of what gets any traction here is defamation posts, which is mostly what the bots post. They misuse this site as a free means of recycling the obamabot slur du jour. Few libs on this site are willing or able to get into substantive debates. I still make issues or ideological posts anyway, because there are many lurkers and who knows whom you may influence.

Werbung:
I read your post the first time, mostly agreed with it, and moved on. Was not ignoring it though. ;)

I am sorry if I implied an malice. No, that is the reasonable thing to do with posts that you mostly agree with and are not controversial.

Which is why I made the comment I made. I am trying to make the point that even non-controversial posts can go a long way toward moving people along in their political acumen. But the posts need to be seen and read by those who are undecided and still have an open mind.

So I was thanking the one who responded and thus kept the thread alive allowing it to be seen by more people.

Back