The Iraqi government wants us out!

Good question, though Im not sure what I expected, but I guess hoped for, is to not have been lied to by the President on a matter of this importance. Not to have a raging civil war, not to have the casualty count that exsists, a drop in energy prices, WMDs located and destroyed, etc etc etc.

As with all difficult situations, I think I'll go to my book of quotes from Winston Churchill. Here's what he has to say today:

"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

You can take that however you like. I like to think of it as encouragement - and as a warning. I still think that the situation in Iraq can be salvaged and I'd like to see our forces have the chance to try. The decision to set a deadline to pull them out could well be the single day Churchill was talking about.

Werbung:
As with all difficult situations, I think I'll go to my book of quotes from Winston Churchill. Here's what he has to say today:

"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

You can take that however you like. I like to think of it as encouragement - and as a warning. I still think that the situation in Iraq can be salvaged and I'd like to see our forces have the chance to try. The decision to set a deadline to pull them out could well be the single day Churchill was talking about.

Churchill is also a favorite of mine, and I agree with the premise of the quote. That being said, I dont foresee a happy ending coming from the US presence in Iraq. I have many friends who are there and have been there. Thankfully all have come back alive nor seriously wounded(a friend did take some shrapnel to his arms and legs but the body armor did its job) Nearly across the board they have told me that the situation is "un-winnable" due to the Sunni-Shia rift. It will take a very strong Iraqi leader to unite the country and stop the violence.
I am not advocating deadlines or withdrawal just yet. But I believe it was Tommy Thompson as part of his Iraq plan would be to have the Iraqi government vote on the presence of US troops there, and that is the right way to go about this.
Despite whatever comes from this, there were no WMDs, the costs in money for this are exponentially more than we were led to believe and so is the cost in human life. One thing that often goes unreported is the 25,000 wounded that the US military has suffered.

We need to be honest (for once) about our intentions in Iraq. We lied, slaughtered directly and indirectly hundreds of thousands of innocent people there and now occupy the nation. We are trying like anything to assuage the hostilities by involving a puppet government with a constitution pretty much written by our interests.

Now if we are there to nation build, something this unrespected President we have stated he was against when he first was a candidate, we need to leave. We messed up their nation's stability. Our military are trained to destroy, not police and we shouldn't remain in a nation where most people hate us. To do so may stroke a few politico's egos, but it's too much of a price for our military and the taxpayers need to be paying.

If it is about the oil (which I suspect), then we need to get real and up front. Having guts on the world stage earns respect, even if most of the world disagrees. Our so-called leaders need to state that for whatever reasons (lack of requiring strict conservation of energy, failure to seek out alternative methods, etc.), we are now in a pickle. There is not enough oil to maintain our economic well being, so ... we are going to have to be the bad guys and take control.

History is replete with bad people and no more God gave his grace to thee childish drum thumping. We are addicts and unless the move was made, we were in serious peril is the message.

We might as well go into Iran also. We may risk war with China. If we are victorous, I only hope we take control from these oil companies and we the people get the benefit. It will be incredibly costly and if we the people aren't left holding the purse strings, we and our grandchildren are going to be broke.

Oh, by the way. When I say bad guys, I mean we are, for real, the evil. In order to pull this off we are going to have to slaughter tens of millions - women, elderly, and children. These people have pride in their countries as do most in the U.S. They are people. And they, like most of the world have strong extended family bonds. So when you shoot an uncle, the entire family of dozens and dozens are going to take at least a sniper shot. That would be why we'd have to be savage.

Are you ready to play ball? It's only what little soul we have left that is at stake. Welcome to reality.

I just wanted to touch a few things here.I noticed that someone got pretty well lambasted for not "debating" or wanting to debate.....from what i am reading and seeing in the framework of this website is that it is the House of Politics..........DISCUSS the world and more.......

Nowhere does it say house of politics political DEBATE forums...? I understand where your coming from yv BUT the purpose of the site as its listed is a Political DISCUSSION board not a debate board...I have noticed that this seems to be an issue at hop with a few of you viewing the whole forum as a debate forum when really there were 2 subforums designated SPECIFICALLY for debates yet none of you chose to use them for that?

Im not wanting to stirt trouble just stating what i am seeing in the forums
your statement clearly means to me that you feel the ENTIRE forum is for political DEBATE....where as many of us see it as its written Political Discussion?

just some observations

ditto

Werbung:
Back