The Spanish Conspiracy

Neutral Evil

The students of the Consorci per la normalitzo lingüística and I are all victims of an international desire to devalue Catalonia. Spain and many other nations inform the rest of the world that Spanish is the official language and the regional languages are insignificant. Each and every one of us fell for this institutionalized form of manipulation and moved to Spain without learning Catalan in advance. The other students and I spent at least a year here in Catalonia, learning the hard way that Catalan is one of the absolutely necessary prerequisites to get a job. We all had to sign up with the Concorci to learn the language and gain what we needed to be employed.

We should have learned Catalan before coming to Catalonia, but the high and mighty ones in power that are the government in Madrid and their associates in rest of the world set up a screen around the province, filtering out Catalan and sending out the message that Spanish was the acceptable language and that Catalan was only optional. This was a load of claptrap! The powers that be played on our ignorance and suckered us in, only to have their plan to suppress Catalonia regally backfire in their faces. Because Catalan is the preferred language, Spanish is the one Catalonia sees as optional and those who immigrate have to be punished by not being allowed to gain employment.

Werbung:
The Catalanes are nice people but when they start with their regional nationalism they can be a real pain in the posterior. My daughter, who is a native Spanish speaker born in Madrid, lived in Barcelona for a few years. She has a talent with languages so she learned Catalan and speaks it well. But when ever she tried to speak Catalan to someone they refused and turned to speaking to her in Castillian. I think you may have run into a very weird form of the old "double standard".

Werbung:
The Catalanes are nice people but when they start with their regional nationalism they can be a real pain in the posterior. My daughter, who is a native Spanish speaker born in Madrid, lived in Barcelona for a few years. She has a talent with languages so she learned Catalan and speaks it well. But when ever she tried to speak Catalan to someone they refused and turned to speaking to her in Castillian. I think you may have run into a very weird form of the old "double standard".

Yes, I too have experienced what your daughter has. Just yesterday I asked the bus driver to refill the viatjes of my card in Catalan and he replied to me in Spanish. One of the members at my gym answered me in Spanish when I spoke in Catalan.This is a most unfortunate indication that Catalans are conflicted. They want their own language, but they don´t want to be out of step with the rest of Spain. I get the impression they want to side with the strong and not run afoul of them.

Back