They don't really teach true history anymore...

zerorelations

Teachers don't teach students about great men and heros anymore. You won't meet many teenagers who can tell you who Lord Nelson was. Most teenagers these days don't even know when Columbus Day is; they only know it's Columbus Day when they get a day off from school, and they are told about it the following school day. The whole point of learning history is to learn of the past and the mistakes people made in the past, so we don't repeat them again and so we can learn from their mistakes. Is this not the point of History?

Werbung:
But it gets worse.
Columbus is not ignored in school, but rather incriminated.
When my younger child was in fourth grade, his teacher in the public school had them reading "Lies My History Teacher Told Me".

I learned that that is not unusual, although fourth grade was slightly earlier than usual to begin formal indoctrination with the anti-European bias.

See if you can find that book some time and you will see the tendenz taken in recent years, regarding the teaching of history.

Hmm

True and True. I once read the entire textbook for Western Civilization II and wrote down everything in it I thought was BS. It came out to three pages front and back. Then I told the teacher what I thought about it and challenged him in class. Goddamn did I make a fool out of him. Oh, did I mention he was a faggot? Can you imagine? "A faggot teaching Western Civilization". Also, he was a communist. He was talking about how today is better than the past because the past had a hierarchy and social classes. I said, "Well, what's changed?"

True and True. I once read the entire textbook for Western Civilization II and wrote down everything in it I thought was BS. It came out to three pages front and back. Then I told the teacher what I thought about it and challenged him in class. Goddamn did I make a fool out of him. Oh, did I mention he was a faggot? Can you imagine? "A faggot teaching Western Civilization". Also, he was a communist. He was talking about how today is better than the past because the past had a hierarchy and social classes. I said, "Well, what's changed?"

A faggot? Doing a job that rightfully belongs to a human being? The nerve! Like there have ever been any faggots who have contributed anything to Western Civlization.

Oh well, it could have been worse, I guess. It could have been Ralph J. Hexter, a former Dean of Arts & Humanities, and Executive Dean of the College of Letters & Science at UC Berkeley, and is now President of Hampshire College.

A faggot college President? Working around adults is one thing, but next thing you know, they'll be in our elementary schools, teaching our children!!!

Oh, did I mention I work at an elementary school?

Oh, and I'm a faggot.

And don't even get me started on Columbus Day. Talk about not teaching true history.....

Teachers don't teach students about great men and heros anymore. You won't meet many teenagers who can tell you who Lord Nelson was. Most teenagers these days don't even know when Columbus Day is; they only know it's Columbus Day when they get a day off from school, and they are told about it the following school day. The whole point of learning history is to learn of the past and the mistakes people made in the past, so we don't repeat them again and so we can learn from their mistakes. Is this not the point of History?

hereyago........ I made it over to this site........ thanks for the invite!:)

The whole point of learning history is to learn of the past and the mistakes people made in the past, so we don't repeat them again and so we can learn from their mistakes.

I'm thinkin' Vietnam here for some reason... wonder why????? :D

You obviously don't know much about History, do you?:) History is used to justify what we've done, to prove that we were right, to show that THEY were wrong, and to educate our children in a manner that will make them trust the people in power so that the status quo can be maintained. Anything else would be doubleplus ungood. (Justinian makes my point for me.)

It's not often I get to meet a member of the KKK.

It's not often I get to meet a member of the KKK.

I actually picture him more as the GI Joe version of Fred Phelps, but whatever.

About history...I'm a teenager and I can tell you a bit about Lord Nelson - not a ton, but a bit. I could talk to you about all the little conflagrations in the history our country that aren't very widely studied - the Whiskey Rebellion, Shays Rebellion, the Indian Wars, the Seminole Wars, the Mormon Rebellion...all the good ones.

To be fair, I learned about those just from reading outside sources on my own, but that isn't to say that I didn't pick up quite a bit from history class. Kids these days will learn what they want to hear and far too many of them don't give a damn about history. The problem isn't usually what's being taught - it's how. It's the fact that our schools make bloody battles like New Orleans in 1814 sound...well..boring.

You seem like a very insecure individual.

I actually picture him more as the GI Joe version of Fred Phelps, but whatever.
Many members of the KKK are just like you describe: GI Joe Phelps, good Christians spreading Jesus' message of love--with ATTITUDE!

About history...I'm a teenager and I can tell you a bit about Lord Nelson - not a ton, but a bit. I could talk to you about all the little conflagrations in the history our country that aren't very widely studied - the Whiskey Rebellion, Shays Rebellion, the Indian Wars, the Seminole Wars, the Mormon Rebellion...all the good ones.

To be fair, I learned about those just from reading outside sources on my own, but that isn't to say that I didn't pick up quite a bit from history class. Kids these days will learn what they want to hear and far too many of them don't give a damn about history. The problem isn't usually what's being taught - it's how. It's the fact that our schools make bloody battles like New Orleans in 1814 sound...well..boring.

I'm sorry if I was unclear, vyo, my intent was not to denigrate your grasp of history but to point out that what is taught is not taught to keep us from making the same mistakes over again. The winners re-write history to make themselves look good. Cultures re-write history to justify their hates and abuses. Governments re-write history to do all of the above things and to help control a fractious population.

Read everything you lay hand on, read from all the different perspectives you can find, and then make up your own mind about what to believe. Good luck.

I'm sorry if I was unclear, vyo, my intent was not to denigrate your grasp of history but to point out that what is taught is not taught to keep us from making the same mistakes over again. The winners re-write history to make themselves look good. Cultures re-write history to justify their hates and abuses. Governments re-write history to do all of the above things and to help control a fractious population.

Read everything you lay hand on, read from all the different perspectives you can find, and then make up your own mind about what to believe. Good luck.

Since I have my book of Winston Churchill quotes out...here's one you'll like.

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Werbung:
Since I have my book of Winston Churchill quotes out...here's one you'll like.

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Yes, that's a good one. If you like Churchill you'll enjoy this exchange between him and George Bernard Shaw:
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
friend...if you have one."
--George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second...if there is
one."
--Winston Churchill, in response

Back